• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sam Houston NF

"Sometimes it just seems like the people running things want the SHNF to stay closed as much as possible."

Seems like it.

I think I am just going to ride out there from I-59 and Coldsprings, I live in Humble, and explore the gravel service roads because its just raining to much to get off on any dirt roads or trails.

I think I am just going to ride out there from I-59 and Coldsprings, I live in Humble, and explore the gravel service roads because its just raining to much to get off on any dirt roads or trails.

It is many of the service roads that are closed now.

Forest Service closes damaged roads
in Sam Houston National Forest

Sections of roads damaged by rain and flooding in the Sam Houston National Forest are closed until the U.S. Forest Service can make repairs.

On the west side of the forest, portions of Forest Service Roads 222, 233, 234, 209 and 271 are closed, according to Acting District Ranger Mary Hughes Frye.

As a result, there is no access for day-use or camping at Kelly’s Pond and the trailhead for the Multiple Use Trail is closed due to wet conditions.

“We will begin repairs on these roads as soon as the ground dries out enough to use heavy equipment,” Frye said. “We know this is frustrating for the public and it is frustrating for us as well. If we can get a few days of dry weather we will be out making repairs.”

Roads are closed to all traffic and are not safe for any vehicle.
Went exploring yesterday although everything is dry and roads could be repaired all were STILL CLOSED. Not happy, lol.

sad

Its is a shame we don't have effective legal representation here in TX like is available in other states. The efforts many layfolk have contributed over the years is laudable but basically ineffective due to no real organization of the riding public. For whatever reasons we have never had an force here to combat this skullduggery. FALSE application of law and regulation is being used against us. Period. With current methods in dealing with the Gestapo this will not change. Yes it is sad, sickening, disgusting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

So why is the trails blocked to begin with?

I believe the trails are closed because of downed trees/limbs from storms. Many of the forest roads are supposedly closed because of erosion damage and are awaiting repairs.

Are there other places to ride to ride Duel Sport in NE Texas? I live in Humble and it seems like there are very few Adventure Bike trails in the area, other than Sam Houston NF and also I went to 4x4 extreme but thats actually too extreme. Half of the trails there I couldn't even see the trail for all the water over them.

Not many places to ride single track trails unless you visit a private park. Otherwise, you are basically left with forest/county roads. If you head toward Willis/New Waverly, there are some forest roads and a few dirt county roads. Further West on the other side of I-45 there are more forest/county roads. NE of Livingston there are many dirt roads, but you better be okay with riding in sand ;-)

When doing trail maintenance, watch where you put your hand! Copperhead on the limb.

Snakes are crawling now . Had a big rattler fairly close inside the mowed area 5 foot or so. Cats are good to have around for snakes. They are mortal enemies.

I’m by no means a snake expert, but that’s the first copperhead I’ve seen off of the ground.

I’m by no means a snake expert, but that’s the first copperhead I’ve seen off of the ground.
I see them buried in the creases on line trees, so no surprise on a limb. But I'm no expert either. Just something to remember trail clearing. I use loppers regularly.

Haven't seen a copper head in a tree before either. But I've killed a few. Last one I killed at the ranch I was cutting saplings with my weed eater with brush blade, just cut the snake in half.

See plenty of snakes at work too

Haven't seen a copper head in a tree before either. But I've killed a few. Last one I killed at the ranch I was cutting saplings with my weed eater with brush blade, just cut the snake in half.

See plenty of snakes at work too
That sounds like fun. A dead venomous snake is a beautiful snake. A dead non-indigenous snake is a beautiful snake.

I'm not one of those kill em all types at all (we would be over run with rodents) , but when they get close to the house, thats when the 12ga comes out.

I'm not one of those kill em all types at all (we would be over run with rodents) , but when they get close to the house, thats when the 12ga comes out.
I only kill the venomous snakes

According to the recording, the West Side is open. Let’s ride!

We went out
Sunday, nice to be out there again. Still little wet in spots and now more rain coming! Just a heads up, first time in a long time I've seen the Ranger walking the parking lot, be sure you have your stuff in order.

Checked usvsunday for parking and state sticker. Didn't look at Sparkles. I was only legal guy.

Back