• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sam Houston NF

Just seasonal affected disorder. Normal response to shorter daylight hours for lots of us who are more outdoor active sorts.

Just seasonal affected disorder. Normal response to shorter daylight hours for lots of us who are more outdoor active sorts.

Odd. I have SAD in the summer when it's to **** hot to go outside. No issues in the "winter".

Doesn't bother me either way, retirement helps!

Ended up being free this morning, started to run out to forest. Went outside 48 degrees. Came back to couch, lol. Whole week looks rough in my book. BTW, I'm about 30 minutes, not bad.

Ended up being free this morning, started to run out to forest. Went outside 48 degrees. Came back to couch, lol. Whole week looks rough in my book. BTW, I'm about 30 minutes, not bad.
Don't rub it in. For me 48 is great, light enduro jacket with lots of vent zippers to regulate air. Start sweating after just a few miles if too closed up.

Guess it's obvious with my old age, I'm lazy and unmotivated. Not all the time but.

Man I am jealous of you all, I am a solid 2:30-2:45 from the trails.
That's my problem, coming from Galveston County, there is this huge #@rd between the Forest and me called Houston. It's around 77 miles one way, but is guaranteed to take the better part of 2 hours.

That's my problem, coming from Galveston County, there is this huge #@rd between the Forest and me called Houston. It's around 77 miles one way, but is guaranteed to take the better part of 2 hours.
That makes for long day and maybe not very relaxing.

Yep. It's one of the main reasons I haven't been up there in sooooo long.

Yea, it was heart breaking when Brunes Mills closed down almost three years back, that really put a damper on my trail riding and literally doubled my distance to get to any real single track. I've been hoping that something closer would open for the past three years now but I guess if it didn't during the biggest outdoor craze of the past few years then it likely won't anytime soon lol. So for now it's 2.5 to the forest or 2.5 to Spoaks and everything else is even further out. It does give me a reason to pause and reconsider whether or not it's all worth it quite often.

For me coming from the far SE of TX, Houston starts getting in the way about Anahuac and creates high stress until at least Columbus. Every mile on I10 but with a kagillion scamillion idiots. The weekend traffic seems to be even crazier and just can't really be avoided with TORCS. After 40--50 years it does get to be a factor. Having good traveling buddies makes a great difference but as the years pass those start disappearing. And sadly the HSTN folks have turned the back roads I use to get to the Sam H are now clogged on the weekends. Oh well, boo hoo hoo!

@Irishcoffee , why don't you come to Cycleland with me occasionally? Easy trip.
:thumb:That would make me happy but you would have to bring an extra dose of patience. I have ridden four times since Sterling R closed. On my last twenty mile ride a couple weeks ago I discovered someone had stolen my legs, weak is me. Its right at three hours to the front gate now also but I love driving in E TX. Sam H just might be quicker during the week. Either way, thanks!

Walt R (Honda Africa Twin) and I did about 30+ miles of trails yesterday. Started about 10:00 am just as the light rain began. Came in on Woodpecker off of 1375. Took that to 208, then did String and South Balloon. Rode to Richard, ate lunch, then came back and rode Balloon back to the 208 TH. Was definitely more challenging after lunch due to the now heavy rain. My wife's comment when my wet and cold butt got home later..."only you 2 morons would be out riding those bikes on trails in this weather". She's not wrong. :lol2:

Back