• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sam Houston NF

I need to catch up with you out there sometime! Ride Red!

2CAF3E89-8600-44F8-B1A6-8F65C4A4CF9D.jpeg

Trying to get a ride in tomorrow at the Sam H. What are the least sandy trails on the East side? Have ridden once in the last year and rusty reflexes and decrepit SR body will be my issue. Not wanting to fight deep sand any more than necessary. Thanks.

Trying to get a ride in tomorrow at the Sam H. What are the least sandy trails on the East side? Have ridden once in the last year and rusty reflexes and decrepit SR body will be my issue. Not wanting to fight deep sand any more than necessary. Thanks.

It's probably just wet enough that the sand won't be that bad anywhere. I rode the east side last thursday and the sand wasn't as bad as i expected. It rained pretty good on sunday so you might be dealing with mud more then sand.

NOT MY RIDE REPORT, but a good report!

SHNF Eastside Trail Report
Thursday 3-30-23
Load em up, hero dirt out on the Eastside. Almost didn't go today, feeling bad all week, lots of stuff going on around the house, plans for tomorrow, and a busy morning. Didn't clear up till after 2pm, but if I didn't go today I'll miss the week (got to ride 3 days last week but that's another story)
Got to Eastside Trailhead after 4pm, no dust on 233 on the way in and very little water in the ditches . Hit the trail at 4:30 started on Fern riding counterclockwise, rode Fern past Boy Scout to Northwest down to Fern back to Boy Scout and to the Trailhead on Sandy.
This loop is good for 17.5 miles , rode it twice and it about as good as you can hope for . There's a few puddles on the Start of Fern and a few on the last part of Sandy close to the Trailhead . Didn't hit the brakes much , because the corners were like rails , the straight away whoops were well packed and full of traction.
Sandy was my favorite today , it's extremely fast and you really have to watch your speed , still have other riders, hikers and the occasional Horse out there as well as 4wheeler when it's busy. Didn't have none of them today though, free and clear.
Not sure about Zebra and YCC, they both tend to hold water and I didn't have the time today. Carry plenty of water, I was soaked from sweat head to toe. Great day, great trails, stay off Zebra and YCC and Enjoy!

Nice, the breeze today i bet feels great. Wish I could roll out today, maybe tomorrow though with the wife and son.

Just a bit of news about the condition of the trails in the forest after the latest rainfall.
There is some damage to Fern, Sandy, Boyscout, more than likely Zebra also
Heather is on it like lines on paper accessing the damages and creating a work plan. There will be a slight delay in opening but not an extended period of time before it will reopen she said the Forest received
around 9 inches total all of the work done held up nicely but sand is sand. There will be need for swampers to assist the equiptment operator’s work safely. Again the damage is not extreme but there are ladder roots exposed and that is unsafe a small amount of repairs are needed.
If you do have time in the next couple of weeks please post up and we will get you signed up to help.
Have a great weekend

No surprise but still not good news:

Hi all. Sharing this communication that just came out from the USFS.

You have likely seen some of the pictures from recent trail surveys. The MUT received extensive damage from the April rain events. Repairs will need to be made before the trail can reopen. The Trails Coalition has received the Critical Items List from the FS trail survey. We have 18 downed trees and 40 erosion spots to fix in order to open the trails. We are working on a plan to do this with volunteers and possibly hiring a contractor in order to complete the repairs as quickly as possible.

The Trails Coalition is close to executing a Special Projects Agreement with the USFS that will provide funding for trail maintenance and repairs, including this project. I am excited by the possibilities and flexibility it will give the Coalition to better serve the trails community.

📢Sam Houston NF, Multi-Use Trail Closure 🚧Update:

The Sam Houston National Forest experienced a rainfall 🌧 event in early April that resulted in 8 plus inches of rain across the western part of the national forest. Due to the amount of rainfall, trail assessments were completed to identify and determine the conditions along the Multi-Use Trail (MUT). There are several sections of the trail that has severe erosion that makes the trail unsafe for forest visitors to utilize.

Hazard⚠️ areas have been identified and the Forest Service is in the beginning of the planning process to repair the major erosion issues that are preventing the MUT trails to be reopened at this time.

The U.S. Forest Service employees are working closely with our trail partners, The Sam Houston Trails Coalition, to get the assistance needed to repair the trail as quickly as possible.

While we understand this is an inconvenience, please know the safety of our visitors 🫶 is our main priority.

✅If you would like to volunteer to help with any of the efforts to open the trail, please reach out to our trail partner, The Sam Houston Trails Coalition, https://www.samhoustontrails.com/

Thank you and we appreciate your patience in this matter.

Wow … lots a work ahead for the Sam Houston Trail Coalition…. I look forward to helping in the month of May. June maybe😡

Any estimates on when repairs will begin and which segments are being targeted first? Blows to have it closed down ;(

For a SR like me who has heat issues and rarely rides the Sam H it will not be an issue for me but it sure is for the young folk who ride all summer. And hurricane season will bring more rain, bummer.

Any estimates on when repairs will begin and which segments are being targeted first? Blows to have it closed down ;(
Sure is a good way to stay in shape doing trail work. Estimate on opening🤔…. Depends on the volunteer turns out.

Might have more info after the Coalition Meeting this weekend. You are welcome to attend......https://www.samhoustontrails.com/
85 miles of Trails and 6 working volunteers. Math.

Even more dependent on this rain to stop, and forest service giving us the go ahead. At this point I'd say it's going to be a while.
Woodsguy has summed it up pretty clearly....Just added 2.5 inches yesterday and 6 days forecasted coming. Can't get on the trails.
85 miles of Trails and 6 working volunteers. Math.

fern2.jpg

Last edited:

Back