• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

San Antonio Cemeteries

M

m8rt

IMGP0898.jpg

Locke Hill Cemetery​

One of the best ones I've ever seen is near SA in Medina county at a Lutheran church in Quihi.

Heir ruht / AUG. MUMME / GEB. / 9 Sept. 1851 / GEST. 19 Marz 1879
On back side of the headstone is the following: Ermordet bei / Bekannter Hand / J. M. M. G. C. W. / Bin ich todt? O Nein, Ihr / Liebn. Oben strömt / das Leben frei. Aller / Todt ist drunten blieben / Alles Sterben ist vorbei! / Wollt ihr wissen wie es / geht? Kommet höher, / Kommt und seht.
[Murdered by the hand of someone I knew J.M. M.G. G.W. Am I dead? / Oh no, you / dear ones. Here above life / goes on. All Death remained there below, / all dying is over! / Would you like to know how it / is? Come up higher, Come and see. Translation: Texas Graveyards by Terry G. Jordan]
Linda Gilliam Vereen in her article on "Bethlehem Lutheran Church Cemetery, Quihi, TX" states the following: "There is one very unusual burial, that of August Mumme, my ggg uncle. He is buried across a road that runs through the far side of the cemetery, and his grave is situated on a north-south axis, rather than the traditional east-west orientation. There are several stories regarding his death. The one handed down in my family is something to the effect that as a young man August got involved with a band of local cattle rustlers. After some time, he became apprehensive of his involvement, and resolved to turn his cohorts in to the authorities. Before he could do so, he was murdered by his colleagues. An inscription in German on his tombstone says he was murdered at the hands of his acquaintances, and three sets of initials are inscribed. Other versions of the story are that August turned outlaw and was killed in the act of cattle rustling by his more upright neighbors. My grandfather told me that regardless of the circumstances of his death, murder caused very hard feelings in his home community of New Fountain and that the then minister of the church there refused to bury him. The family then applied to Bethlehem Lutheran Church, whose minister agreed to bury him, but only set apart from the main body of the church cemetery."1

Hmmmmmm, died six years prior to getting married, or am i getting the context bassackwards????

It is a puzzle.
There are no birth or death years given.
Someone had to point out to me that obviously Grace wrote the prose.

She was married to Ekillis from 1941 to 1961, then she married Lloyd in 1967.

All three parties had double "L"s in their names.
Lloyd had three double letters!

Back