• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

San Antonio, come see and ride in a B-17 and other warbirds Aug 17-18th.

LaserDave

Forum Supporter
That is what I miss about my job in Fairbanks. We were under the air cargo flight line and most companies still used WWII radial engine aircraft. Great sound.
many still do. this bunch uses these because they can use short runways, and they get the job done.
believe it or not, their Pratt and Whitney 2800 engine rebuild shop is in Fredricksburg.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
SPEAKING of the big radials..... if you love engine music and you've never heard one of these monsters come to life, you are denying yourself a real experience.
Not wearing earplugs in the air is not a good idea, but we can't keep you from popping them out for a reality check.
Totally true. There's not much else like it, except maybe a top fuel nitro dragster doing its thing :eek2:

My first experience was a Confederate Air Force event in Harlingen, Tx., back around 1987. I was in my first semester of Aerospace Engineering at Tx A&M at the time. The department secretary's husband and son were TOTALLY into old aircraft. Her office had loads of fantastically painted fighters, bombers, and even ground vehicle models everywhere. The paint jobs were amazing, most all done by her son. They invited me to go with them to the air show as a result of a casual conversation I had with her one afternoon. It was awesome. I can't recall all the various aircraft I got to see, but there were numerous big radial bombers there. Watching them fire up the engines was amazing. It had to be something to be at any of the various airfields during WWII prior to take off for a bombing mission.

A highlight of that weekend was seeing the first showing of a recently restored F-82 Mustang. IF I recall correctly, it was painted with the dark scheme that I think was used for recon flights. Unfortunately, when it came time to land, one of the landing gear failed to deploy. They eventually made a controlled crash landing, which was quite amazing to witness. The prop on that side was obviously damaged, but the rest of the plane seemed to come out of it pretty good. They had a huge crane out on the runway to lift it and bring it back to the hanger for repairs. I used to have pictures of all that, but I have no clue what has happened to them after all these years. Nor do I know what ever became of that particular aircraft.

More recently (as in a few years ago), I was driving past the local airport here in town with my wife and kids in the car. As was my habit, I casually glanced over at the airport to see what might be sitting on the tarmac. Even though we are a small town, there are often interesting aircraft present! This time there was a beautiful shiny silver P-51 Mustang! Needless to say, I did a quick u-turn and we drove into the airport. I walked inside to ask if the owner was nearby and actually wound up asking the owner! He graciously took us outside to give us a tour of the aircraft, letting all three kids sit in the cockpit. The name of the aircraft was "Sarah Jean", named after his daughter. He owned a construction company that was doing asbestos abatement on some buildings at Sam Houston State University. He was from Alabama I think and mentioned that he had a total of five WWII aircraft, a few of which were big bombers. The Mustang had been getting some work done on it and he was about to take the mechanic up for a ride, so we hung out and watched. He did multiple high speed LOW passes right over us... WOW!! He mentioned that it cost him about $1500/hr to operate the aircraft. He was using it to "commute" from Alabama to Huntsville, Tx. while his company was doing work here!! :eek2:

Last edited:

LaserDave

Forum Supporter
A highlight of that weekend was seeing the first showing of a recently restored F-82 Mustang.
I used to have pictures of all that, but I have no clue what has happened to them after all these years. Nor do I know what ever became of that particular aircraft.
FUNNY you should mention that.....
That plane is recently fully restored and airborne again. And my friend and turret mentor did all the gun bays for her.

Monica

Forum Supporter
That'd be awesome to copilot. Most flying ive done is got to take the controls in an airborn Cessna and Flight Simulator.

Im still thinking about what to do.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
FUNNY you should mention that.....
That plane is recently fully restored and airborne again. And my friend and turret mentor did all the gun bays for her.

Is it actually the same aircraft? That accident was back in October of 87 I think. Hard to imagine that it would just now be getting airworthy again if it is the same plane?! I wish I could find my pics from that air show. My wife might know where they are... :ponder:

jhansen

Forum Supporter
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Hansen
A bunch of years ago, I got to do a static display with the OV-1D Mohawk (B Co., 15th MI BN Ft Hood) in San Marcos Texas. FIFI was there with a bunch of other CAF (then the Confederate Air Force) aircraft. One of which was a PBJ-1 USMC aircraft Devil Dog (bright blue) (US Navy version of the B-25). Anyway we were parked right next to the PBJ-1 so it was easy to go over and talk to the crew. On the Saturday of the show, I walked over and helped "walk blades" prior to startup. Needless to say, it was hard work to get the oil moving off the bottom of the motor. Just plane fun doing that. Did it again on Sunday and low and behold, I got a ride during the SHOW! Amazing aircraft.

LaserDave

Forum Supporter
You haven't turned props until you hit a hydraulic lock. It's like the prop hits the side of a building, and you have to pull the plug on that jug to drain, virtually assuring you will be covered in oil. If you live in Spring, you have to have seen TR a few times. We were based out of Hooks for years.

Only one expensive seat left on the 1pm Sunday flight. Saturday is wide open.

plugeye

Forum Supporter
If ya’ll haven’t been for a ride in a B-17, you NEED to go! It’s beyond awesome!!!
Here’s the waist gunners view and the view out that front bubble of the B17 “Nine-O-Nine” over Dallas last year. Yes you have to crawl through the bomb racks but it’s worth it. Don’t bother wearing earplugs, it’s loud but the sound of those engines at full cry will make you smile... Better than a motorcycle!

View attachment 241124View attachment 241125View attachment 241126

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
at least once a year i hear something wonderful in the air over our house.
it's usually a B17 flying fortress or B24 liberator
love it

LaserDave

Forum Supporter
at least once a year i hear something wonderful in the air over our house.
it's usually a B17 flying fortress or B24 liberator
love it
I landed at Dallas Love on Southwest earlier this year, and looking out the window, saw round engines landing on another runway.
It was the Collings Foundation B-24. What were the chances?? It taxi'd over where 909 was parked.

Wings Over Dallas at the old Redbird, now Dallas Executive, weekend of 26 October.
That's CAF headquarters, and everything flies but the kitchen sink.
Who knows, maybe they'll put wings on one of those this year.

LaserDave

Forum Supporter
Is it actually the same aircraft?
chances are, because so few survived. the one flying now was cut in half, and the restoration team completely fabricated the missing side.
so, it's conceivable it took that long. if u find a picture, the tail number will be the key to solving the mystery.

Triumphter

Forum Supporter
I will be live in studio with Randy Beamer on WOAI News 4, for the 1830 newscast. These news segments are too short to get out much info, but I should be able to get out three or so key points.

Come out and see us Saturday and Sunday. :)

LaserDave

Forum Supporter
Suddenly we seem to have a great deal of media interest for tomorrow, which should mean a good turnout for the weekend.
Yes, it's hot, it's August in South Texas. Perfectly normal.

Triumphter

Forum Supporter
Suddenly we seem to have a great deal of media interest for tomorrow, which should mean a good turnout for the weekend.
Yes, it's hot, it's August in South Texas. Perfectly normal.
Yalls Nancy is amazing! She really has done most of the work.

And yep....it is hot, it is always hot this time of year, people know it. We had a really good turn out last month for Tex Hill's Birthday Party and it was this hot as well. We had less press and only our SNJ was doing rides.

I will see everyone Saturday (I do not think I will be there tomorrow unless I come after I do the TV show)

Triumphter

Forum Supporter
She sent out a crew blast, and gave credit to THW for the sudden interest. Someone in your office knew where to drop a dime.

Well, we are trying. The Tex Hill Wing has gone through a lot of changes in the last few years and has recently settled and started to really grow. We just aquired our second plane. I am brand new to the Wing. I moved back to San Antonio less than two months ago and joined them the first week. Now I am PIO. :) (but I have been CAF, off and on since about 92)

LaserDave

Forum Supporter
The Tex Hill Wing has gone through a lot of changes in the last few years and has recently settled and started to really grow.
Indeed. I hated to see the wing leave the historic Hondo Army Airfield, but it was a good move. I sure miss John Gibeau.
But Stinson is also historic (2nd oldest airport in US. I think Teeterboro is 1?) and it's a lot more traffic for the wing.
My first sighting of a flyable B-17 was at Hondo in 2011. I took the ride, and the ride took me.
I walked between two hangars, looked right

and saw this and stopped cold. My pulse quickened, I took a picture and a deep breath and walked to my destiny.

LaserDave

Forum Supporter
Before flight picture. That's me with the thumb up, just a butt in a seat back then. John Gibeau standing left.
Crew L-R Joe Duncan, Larry Doucette, Ole Nygren, Ken Hyman. They had no idea the trouble standing behind them.
Larry later nominated me to move up to Flight Engineer in a hilarious moment I can't tell here. My brother from another mother.

Triumphter

Forum Supporter
Indeed. I hated to see the wing leave the historic Hondo Army Airfield, but it was a good move. I sure miss John Gibeau.
But Stinson is also historic (2nd oldest airport in US. I think Teeterboro is 1?) and it's a lot more traffic for the wing.
My first sighting of a flyable B-17 was at Hondo in 2011. I took the ride, and the ride took me.
I walked between two hangars, looked rightView attachment 241393

and saw this and stopped cold. My pulse quickened, I took a picture and a deep breath and walked to my destiny.

Fantastic!

I know that is your bird and Gulf Coast is your wing, but you should join us as well. We have a lot of fun and are at the Hangar a lot. We also just aquired one of the TORA Vals. She is going to need a complete tear down. Lots of fun and work to do. We are also focusing on getting a P-40.

Tuesdays at 10am is our big social meet every week. Thursdays as well.

I invite everyone to come to the Tex Hill Wing, Hangar #3 at Stinson Airport (we have a sign) and on any Tuesday at 10am, walk through the door and say "Hi." We will be happy you did, the vast majority of people, no matter what their background, are happy they did as well.

This airplane stuff is fun!

Triumphter

Forum Supporter
Actually, I've been a member since 2013, save the gap during the move and changes, and am only 8 months behind in dues for this year.
I'll be fixing that oversight tomorrow. :lol2:
If you guys do a crew dinner, have someone let me know. I might be able to meet yall after I leave the studio.

Oh....and pay yer dues!

LaserDave

Forum Supporter
yeah, yeah, the check is signed and in my wallet.

I don't think much will happen tomorrow, and I have to leave before 3, (I live just north of SAT) but I imagine Saturday will be a full crew affair.
Only the Twin Beech coming, and 2 driving in with PX, and no clue when they'll get there.

On tour I really don't like trying to get everyone into a restaurant after 12+ hours on the ramp, sitting for more hours for usually marginal food, and losing sleep when FE's have to be back on ramp well before the rest. One 4th we were in Austin and the often long debate on where to go started, and I said bleep that, it's the 4th, anyplace will be jammed, everyone pony up, I'm off to the store. The hotel had a nice courtyard with grills, and cook I did. Burgers and fixin's and beer. It was great, and I wish that would happen more often.

My Dad was stationed at the School of Aerospace Medicine in the early 1960's and I was a cadet in the Civil Air Patrol.
My unit med at Stinson Field. I also used to get flights in an Ercoupe and the unit T-34A all the time. Several guys owned P-51s and based them out of Stinson. When the wind was right they'd come roaring over base housing after take off. Nothing sounds like a Merlin-equipped Mustang! Was a really neat time to be growing up!