• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Saturday Night Fever

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
I shoot a regular Thursday evening bicycle road race series. Within that series is another three week series called Saturday Night Fever. These races are held on - wait for it - Saturday evening.

Over this summer, a few members have PM'd me on just what these bicycle races are about. So here's a little storyboard on what goes on for a race.

There's a typical registration process where riders can register on-site or pre-register on-line before the race day. There's a little incentive to "pre-reg" as it's called as they provide a prize for each group racing to one lucky participant. There's roughly 180 people racing each week. I've heard (but not confirmed) this is the largest/longest running crit series in the country at the moment.
i-CWgMBxM-XL.jpg

There's an EMS/Medical crew present at every race too. Yeah, there's folks that go down at these events.
i-6v6jgJw-XL.jpg

About 4pm or so, registration is setting up as are the various vendors. There's food trucks, bicycle repair shops and massage tents setup. While this is going on, the racers of all categories are warming up on the track. The track is about three miles in total and can be configured to run clockwise/counterclockwise and varying distances each direction. Here's a few of the folks warming up. This is one of the larger teams.
i-Mpv2XHV-XL.jpg

This participant came up from Houston to race this evening.
i-RRXK8sZ-XL.jpg

Here is a typical starting lineup. The racers are categorized by skill level and age. There are overlapping categories or "Cats" so some can be in multiple races throughout the evening. This particular race is the Womens 3/4 and Jr 4/5. You can think of the Categories as 5 being the beginners/less skilled and 1's as the top of the tier system.
i-rzJMWPF-XL.jpg

The announcer (Logan) does announcing, race starts/commentary and provides some great tunes for atmosphere.
i-C7jD32B-XL.jpg

This is Paul in the Jr 4/5 category. He's wearing the "leader" jersey as at this point in the season of racing he's in 1st place.
i-JpvwxPs-XL.jpg

The race underway. I get a lot of different facial expressions as the riders are comfortable with me only feet away from them. I also try to find good vantage points to grab images. This race is 30min in duration.
i-pDgz7jq-XL.jpg

These women are all competing against one another, but look at the faces. Most are smiling. I'm amazed at the friendship within the groups and also amazed at just how much they talk to one another (strategy) during a race. Again, the leader jersey is visible in this shot for this category.
i-cc4dLn7-XL.jpg

Next race is the Mens 3/4. These guys are beasts in my book and it's a fiercely competitive group of riders, It's also about 50 or so in the group. It's huge.
i-zp74gs3-XL.jpg

This is Billy F. He went on to win this Cat race and in the rain no less. The two leaders were back and forth, back and forth all race long (30min) and that talking goes on here too. As these two guys pulled away from the pack, on the last lap I heard the other guy say "you can have this one". So I concluded there's some strategy even in that decision.
i-NPZPmNv-XL.jpg

Next up (and in the rain no less) was the Womens Pro 1/2/3 & Mens 35+ 1/2/3/4. This is a seriously fast group of riders. They race for 30min.
i-G6v3gts-XL.jpg

i-SLFgFtn-XL.jpg

Note the faces again. All smiles.
i-WWvcvp6-XL.jpg

One of the sponsors, Woombikes, puts on a Kids Lap. There's some real photo opportunities in this group. I try to hit the start line, then run across to the Finish Line. Logan is starting to give me a head start before he releases the kids. I must be getting old.
Here's one at the start line before the lap
i-vBSzHLQ-XL.jpg

And a proud mother with their child crossing the finish line area
i-kgJfNVR-XL.jpg

Next up is the Mens Pro 1/2/3. Call it the cream of the crop in the category rankings. They race for 55min.
i-9x7dJtg-XL.jpg

The rain doesn't seem to slow these guys down much. Even in turns.
i-q9mNzw4-XL.jpg

Certainly not optimal racing conditions in my opinion
i-s44KGGQ-XL.jpg

i-ZzXq93k-XL.jpg

i-3v79KS3-XL.jpg

This was the last turn before the Finish Line. There were half a dozen spills during the evening at this location.
i-jdgwP5F-XL.jpg

Again, even in less than ideal conditions the riders seem to have a sense of humor.
i-Qc7B7PW-XL.jpg

The last race of the evening is the Mens 4/5. Another very well fielded class. Here's the starting line prior to the start. Still raining but slowing up.
i-V33m2tD-XL.jpg

Here's Grahame, one of our own TWT members who came up from Houston to race.
i-rjCnN4L-XL.jpg

These guys and gals are in every race. They are safety riders who stay at the back of the pack and in the event of an accident, they radio the medical guys to come.
i-S5KPJcF-XL.jpg

Here's first and second with a lap to go. Note the leader jersey on the lead guy.
i-VgP9Cbv-XL.jpg

...and lookie who crosses the finish line for the win. Jonah is wearing the Leader jersey and is the coach of Colton who was just behind him. The two worked hard to get to the front and stay there and Colton got the win.
i-pn6pgsh-XL.jpg

I hope this has been a good little story board to give you some insight as to what bicycle racing is all about. I skipped the after-race beer pics. :chug:

Pretty good, by now they must know you well.

Great race report Scott on a very popular weekly Austin event. Always enjoy your coverage. Keep up the good work.

I looked up some of the past results and tallied up a July night that had over 375 racers in attendance (with some doubling and even tripling up). My last Driveway race was in Oct. 2010 and ended with an ambulance ride to the ER. It is a tough and dangerous sport and there has been one fatality out there.

Been wanting to go up and watch a race some evening but afraid I will catch the fever
and add one more hobby to the list

I guess they don't mind the flash popping in their face that close?

Nice shots!

Greatd shots. I was a Cat 3/4 racer about 25 years & 50lbs ago! Know all about those crashes the hard way.

Back