• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SCAM in the for sale section -- NOT BY TWT USER --

Tbucket

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Well I was the lucky looser of $ l175.
YES I PayPal him FF. IT is a reputable member so I had no reason to doubt him.
but his account apparently got hacked.
A friendly reminder to do your homework before payment is sent

I never send FF if it is for an item.

Tough lesson to learn and I appreciate you being transparent about it.
Helps others learn.

I was horn-swaggled years ago on an eBay scam using PP F&F.
Seller had great feedback.
I now add 3% to the agreed upon price and use the secure portion of the escrow company.
Small price to pay.

First red flag for me was all the repeat photos.
Jasen is a seasoned vet and knows how to use the forum.

Well that really sucks. I personally don’t know a lot of the folks here but I see repeat TWTEX handles a lot. I wouldn’t have thought twice about buying from Jasen. Don’t know him but I know his handle, which is quite active.

I'm sorry it happened to you, but yes, a good lesson for all of us.

And also a lesson to have a rock solid password on all of your accounts, whether they are just basic forums like this or a bank account. (as I now depart to go change my password)
:duck:

Yep, that PW was one that I set up maybe ten years ago and it was weak as all get-out. Much better now.

Until today's event I had not given thought to someone hacking my TWT account (no big deal, right?), but this really drove home the message that EVERY log-in you have needs to have a good password tied to it, and never re-use the same one.

TBucket, this sucks so bad and I'm so sorry. Please report this to Paypal, I've known folks to get their money back even with F&F. Definitely at least get the account closed/investigated.

There was an ugly scam at the GSX-S forum and a bunch of folks got soaked for $600 each for an exhaust that never arrived. Several used F&F and managed to get their money back. Worth a try for sure.

Friends and Family. If money is transferred as a standard transaction, for sale of an item as an example, they charge the recipient a percentage similar how credit cards charge merchants. There is an option to do the transfer as "Friends and Family" which doesn't incur this charge. I guess the FF tranaction doesn't carry the security or an easy way to get your money back as does the standard transaction.

Last edited:
I guess the FF tranaction doesn't carry the security or an easy way to get your money back as does the standard transaction.
That is correct because when you use F&F you're basically telling PayPal that you're not paying someone for something, you're just giving money to someone as a gift. It's like buying a gift card from a store, losing it, and then going back to the store and asking them to make you whole again. Although in this case I hope TBucket can pursue this for a better result.

Yes. I have reported to PayPal. I was honest and say I did the transaction, but the recipient is an scammer. So they are flagging his account & they are helping me to get my coins back.
let’s see what happen.
Got to start that process somewhere. Keep us in the loop.

Yes. I have reported to PayPal. I was honest and say I did the transaction, but the recipient is an scammer. So they are flagging his account & they are helping me to get my coins back.
let’s see what happen.
Best of luck to you. PayPal is just a couple of miles from me, and if I wasn't enjoying retirement so much I'd consider going to work for them as a financial investigator as I love going down those rabbit holes to catch people.

Man, that's a bummer. Sorry to hear it happened.

Glad you posted this thread or I would have missed it as I have the For Sale section on ignore.

It did prompt me to change my password to an auto generated, stronger one.

Hope you get your money back.

Tough lesson to learn and I appreciate you being transparent about it.
Helps others learn.

I was horn-swaggled years ago on an eBay scam using PP F&F.
Seller had great feedback.
I now add 3% to the agreed upon price and use the secure portion of the escrow company.
Small price to pay.
Yup, unless I personally know the person, I agree on a price based on the paypal fee's.

Sorry to hear about it.

If you don't mind posting your paypal e-mail (or message it to me), I will send you $5. I sure others would here as well.

Updated password to unique & strong. Thanks for the nudge

let’s see what happen.
Would it help you to have the other email addresses they were using?

Yup, unless I personally know the person, I agree on a price based on the paypal fee's.

Sorry to hear about it.

If you don't mind posting your paypal e-mail (or message it to me), I will send you $5. I sure others would here as well.
That is very kind of you. But No worries. I do appreciate

twtex supports two factor auth, I highly suggest you enable it. This way even if someone gets your password they have another hoop to jump through to compromise your account.

twtex supports two factor auth, I highly suggest you enable it. This way even if someone gets your password they have another hoop to jump through to compromise your account.
Please explain, I was wondering how that could work

Please explain, I was wondering how that could work
TFA means that even if you log in, the system will still require another way to authenticate you. There are several ways to accomplish this, but the most common method is handled via the site sending a text message containing a code (series of numbers or letter) to the phone that you have registered with that system. You receive the code on your phone, you enter the code into the system, and the system allows you in.

If someone steals your phone and tries to log in as you, the system will then allow it, but the likelihood of someone trying to enter a system as you *AND* also be in possession of your phone is highly unlikely. If that happens, you have bigger issues to deal with.

The one I use with TwTex is an authenticator app. Essentially it is a random number generator with a common seed, so the number you have to type in changes like every 30 seconds or so. The attacker would have to have the seed and the password to be able to login, even if they are main in the middle attacking you they could get your password, username, but not the seed, because it's never sent, just the random number output, so when that number changed in 30 seconds well they would have problems. This is probably more in depth on how it actually works than you want.

The way I handle this is kind of an in between on security. Best security is to have a password safe and a separate app on your phone, because this gives two places that have to be compromised. I use bitwarden and it handles the TFA and auto-fills it. Security vs usability, since this takes only and extra 5 seconds for me to login and I don't have to think, I use it.

The big reason to use a password manager like bitwarden, 1password, or keypass, is it makes managing unique passwords for every sight very easy. This is important, because the way stuff is usually compromised is one site has some issue that is exploited, like an sql injection (can display parts of a database not intended to be seen by the public, like password hashes and usernames or plain passwords if the web designer is bad) then the password and email or username is used on a different site. This is why https://haveibeenpwned.com is a very good sight to check your logins against. Bitwarden allows me to automatically check my logins against this database. This looks at all of the known compromised website logins and sees if your password has been changed since the last compromise. The keyring never sends your password, just website and login.

And next week in Darty's cybersecurity course we will talk about one way private/public one way encryption. ;-)

The one I use with TwTex is an authenticator app. Essentially it is a random number generator with a common seed, so the number you have to type in changes like every 30 seconds or so. The attacker would have to have the seed and the password to be able to login, even if they are main in the middle attacking you they could get your password, username, but not the seed, because it's never sent, just the random number output, so when that number changed in 30 seconds well they would have problems. This is probably more in depth on how it actually works than you want.

The way I handle this is kind of an in between on security. Best security is to have a password safe and a separate app on your phone, because this gives two places that have to be compromised. I use bitwarden and it handles the TFA and auto-fills it. Security vs usability, since this takes only and extra 5 seconds for me to login and I don't have to think, I use it.

The big reason to use a password manager like bitwarden, 1password, or keypass, is it makes managing unique passwords for every sight very easy. This is important, because the way stuff is usually compromised is one site has some issue that is exploited, like an sql injection (can display parts of a database not intended to be seen by the public, like password hashes and usernames or plain passwords if the web designer is bad) then the password and email or username is used on a different site. This is why https://haveibeenpwned.com is a very good sight to check your logins against. Bitwarden allows me to automatically check my logins against this database. This looks at all of the known compromised website logins and sees if your password has been changed since the last compromise. The keyring never sends your password, just website and login.

And next week in Darty's cybersecurity course we will talk about one way private/public one way encryption. ;-)
Hmm, I'm gonna have to ask the wife to make an extra plate of dinner sometime soon so you can come set me up. Not really sure I understood what you said. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Back