• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Scotts vs GPR V4 stabilizer

Have yall ridden a 701 on pavement?
I haven't. Not a 690 or 701. I suspect they are way better than a smaller bike like my 500EXC but not quite as good as my larger 790R.

Still though, I can't imagine buying a 690 or 701 and regularly choosing to go fast (over 90) on pavement.

Could just be me, but my mindset on a knobby tired bike is to look for dirt adventures not for speed fixes. I'm not against a speed fix, I just don't normally crave that when on a Dual Sport or Adventure bike.

Side note. Not that this is news, but tires definitely matter and tire choice is a compromise. On stock Karoos, my 790R was stable to triple digits.

I'm now running a MotoZ Adventure front and GPS rear and it gets a bit squirrely by 90.

That's ok though. On that bike I'd rather have an aggressive knobby for off road that limits my top speed than a tire that could go fast, but couldn't hold a line in the sand, mud or loose stuff.

For.my use, I'm way more likely to need off road performance than high speed.

Back to the stabilizer question...I don't know if the 790 has a stock stabilizer or not. I'll have to go look.

Last edited:
Yall know the speed limit it Texas is 85 at it's faster right? Lol

Not that I listen to it anyways.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Side note. Not that this is news, but tires definitely matter and tire choice is a compromise. On stock Karoos, my 790R was stable to triple digits.

I'm now running a MotoZ Adventure front and GPS rear and it gets a bit squirrely by 90.

That's ok though. On that bike I'd rather have an aggressive knobby for off road that limits my top speed than a tire that could go fast, but couldn't hold a line in the sand, mud or loose stuff.

For.my use, I'm way more likely to need off road performance than high speed.

Back to the stabilizer question...I don't know if the 790 has a stock stabilizer or not. I'll have to go look.
Wait, you own a 790 and you don't know...

Ken, let me know if you want that Scotts.

I run the Scotts on my 1290 and the 790. Used to run them when I raced TCCRA. Too slow now so no need on the dirt bikes. The stock tires on the 790 were horrible to me so switched to TKC 80’s and they aren’t that great either so now I’ve bought Smaller excel rims and Tallon hubs so I can run a more dirt worthy tire. I got the 790 up to 100 today and no issues but I’ve also gone to a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket. The 790 needed it bad. I could blast some sand washes on the 1290 if I cranked the Scotts up.....and just hang on. I was in some pretty deep sand today on the 790 and didn’t touch the stabilizer on the 790. She did fine.

Wait, you own a 790 and you don't know...
Yeah. I couldn't remember. It certainly wasn't a key point with me on the bike specs when I bought it.

Of course, I guess I could have went into the garage and looked. :)

whoever said tires are a compromise is correct. Bike choice is a compromise too. No one bike can truly do it all, but the 701comes purty dang near close.

Put a 70/30 front tire on it and you’ll luv this bike at speed on pavement. With a windscreen and the upgraded seat, I could easily ride at highway speeds all day.

With the knobby on the rear, it is perfect for what I want on dirt. I was confident on it going thru Chloride Canyon and the infamous “rocky section” of the NMBDR.

I never took the 690 to triple digits. It had aggressive knobbies front and rear and often felt like an untrained young horse, i e, all over the place and unpredictable.

It’s all a compromise, we gotta find what will check the important boxes.

Back