• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Scrambler Project idea

Reaction score
Came across this cool Scrambler project while looking for suspension upgrades. I would love to do something similar.

From

To:

I can see already that rear swingarm is longer.

Link if interested:

They sure are eye catchers. I sat on a BMW r nine t scrambler and it felt / looked good but I just couldn’t imagine riding down a slick muddy road. It still had the weight with that boxer engine.

Exactly. I have a gsa and at my experience level it’s really just a road bike with nice suspension. I think it even gains weight when the road turns to dirt. Maybe the 701 just spoiled me :shrug:

I think the lower ride height might help a bit, it's not like we're rock climbing anyway (most of the time). It seems I see alot of people dump the big bikes cause they can't get a foot down without tipping over. We talk about mud alot. I watch a bunch of riding videos everyday. From MX to Adv everything goes down in slick mud. The MX guys just have an easier pick up.

I'd also consider a raptor defense system of some sort....

Attachments

• triumph and raptors.jpg
    triumph and raptors.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 276
Dude! I talked to Sasquatch today. The guy that's relatively popular for V-STROM suspension upgrades. I was talking to him about upgrading the Strom when he mentions he has a Triumph Tiger. So I asked him if he thought he might be able to upgrade my Scrambler. He says most likely....sent him pics of the two project Scramblers above. He sent me an email this afternoon and said he's on it! Man, if I can get my Scrambler looking like either above, I'll be quite happy!!!

I can deal with the look, I just need a bit better suspension. Most likely will upgrade rear shocks to match my (ahem) weight and heavier springs up front too. Maybe a fluid change. Would like about 30mm increased suspension travel. Then all I need is a seat improvement, higher and slightly different shape. Slap on my Mitas E07+ and I'm off!

Shocks front progressive springs and tail tidy, Seat is beautiful, get an air ride pad. Your bike is classic and I wouldn't change it's looks. It's British!

Here's the article from advpulse.com about the 1200 XE that just ran in the Mexican 1000 race down in Baja.

What would be different than riding a GS?

Yes.

Simply put, the ability to easily and comfortably stand on a DS bike makes a BIG difference in handling. If you are just cruising down some smooth dirt back road with good visibility, it is a non issue. If the road starts getting rough and the ability to see further ahead matters, then standing helps a lot. For most folks, a GS is very comfy to stand on while riding. The same is true for many of the other DS bikes, including your V-Strom. Occasionally, someone might need to add 1-2" of bar rise to make it better. I run 2" ROX Risers on my GS and my KTM 530 EXC. Standing allows the bike to move around under you and for the suspension to work better because your legs and arms are acting like suspension for your body. Your total combined weight has not changed, but the CoG of your bike and the CoG of your body are now partially decoupled and move separately. When you are sitting on the seat, you and the bike are more like one big mass. When riding on dirt, shifting your body weight around makes a big difference, and that is often easier to to more effectively when standing.

So all that said, you may still have a ton of fun on the scrambler with new suspension, but it will be different if you can't stand on it easily and comfortably.

Here's the article from advpulse.com about the 1200 XE that just ran in the Mexican 1000 race down in Baja.

That's pretty cool! This bike hit showrooms a week after I bought my 900...needless to say, I wasn't happy!!! My fault for not doing more research and impulse buying, but I felt after describing the type riding I wanted to do, that the salesman could have mentioned this bike as an option. Of course he had no guarantee I would come back to his store the following week.

Back