• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SCRAMBLERS any Remember some of the original scramblers?

GRU

Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Grundy
Like the Honda CL 72, and 77. BSA441, Yamaha Big Bear. It took youth and lots of energy to get these around the track! What you didn’t know that these were actually track bikes! I’ll admit the tracks didn’t have double and triple jumps, but they were rough enough to work through there 3 inch rear and 6 inch front travel. They were light 350 lbs🥵and all you had to do to race them was ride to the track, take off the head and tail light, put on a bib with your number on it, and jump on that solid peg bike, some times dead engine starts, and go. How did we live through it.

A '65 CL-77 was my 2nd bike (not counting the box scooters from before I had a D/L). I don't think I'd call it a track bike but it was fun playing around in the hills of SE Idaho and running up to West Yellowstone and such. Rode a shipmate's Big Bear 305 - NO torque down low but when it got on the pipe(s) it'd move pretty well. Neither was anywhere near a 441 Victor, though, IMO.

A good friend had a CL100, I think it was a ‘71. When we’d go visit them, he and I would take off on it and ride all day around Alexandria, LA. Once, when our families went scouting out in Saline swamp for a place to camp on an upcoming hunt, we rode it 2 up through the swamp. Of course we were only 10 years old and weighed less than 100 lbs each. But, that little bike would go through most anything with no problem.

Back in Jr High School....I usta watch Leon Dorsey come riding up to campus on his Yamaha 100 twin (YL1?) with envy. Those slash cut mufflers just the coolest lookin set of pipes.
& then...while perusing thru endless Hot Rod...Car Craft...& Popular Mechanics magazines...I saw the one for me...
The AS2C 125...while it didnt have quite the same muffler look... It had the now classic fuel tank shape more like the AT/CT/DT/RT enduro bikes...compared to the AS1C

Of course my parents had other ideas about me gettn a motorcycle back then.
I got my first bike at 23
2a88334e1918fc501546803da3e14529.jpg
downloadfile-5.jpg
yamaha-125-twin-scrambler-2.jpg

Spent a lot of time single trackng on a CL77 when in the 70s. Sure made switching to Bultacos easy.

Back in Jr High School....I usta watch Leon Dorsey come riding up to campus on his Yamaha 100 twin (YL1?) with envy. Those slash cut mufflers just the coolest lookin set of pipes.
& then...while perusing thru endless Hot Rod...Car Craft...& Popular Mechanics magazines...I saw the one for me...
The AS2C 125...while it didnt have quite the same muffler look... It had the now classic fuel tank shape more like the AT/CT/DT/RT enduro bikes...compared to the AS1C

Of course my parents had other ideas about me gettn a motorcycle back then.
I got my first bike at 23
View attachment 286601View attachment 286602View attachment 286603
I had a ‘71 Yamaha HS1 I got for my 12th birthday. My dad traded a basketball goal he was going to give me for it. While it wasn’t a scrambler, it got rode 90% + offroad. 90 cc’s and I believe 12 horsepower of 2 stroke fun.
17FF197F-F5A6-422A-AEC7-C45464E9E244.jpeg

My older brother, Ron, had a Honda CL77 Scrambler painted bright yellow. If I looked deep enough I could probably find a photo of it.

My youngest uncle had one of these:
10UlWTm2WVrrrZoo5gAZDQvlYfBdRm-AoCrrPl8t68BuI-001w.jpg
He gave me a ride and I was in love!!!

I was 15. No shoes, no shirt and just 501 Levis and Ray-Bans on Honda 305 Dream/Scrambler. I was going over 60mph over a cow-trail in deep Southwest Texas. To my surprise a big pregnant cow stepped out from behind a huge cactus bush. Imagine a cow being on a cow trail! I clutched, laid it over but was sliding at about 30 mph into giant utters face first. Some how front tires hit her rear hooves while rear tires took out her front. She flipped over me landing on her hooves and knees... What crazy thoughts occurred... I am going to get knocked out by UTTERS! I am going to kill a cow and unborn calf! I do not have a real job to pay my rancher friends back. (It was their Honda!) But, whoa! Cow landed and took off bellowing & mooing wildly as she broke speed records. I thought she might drop the calf and require my pulling it...(15 & dumb) ... she noticed me following her and that freaked her out. I stopped & killed the engine. In full trot she looked backed, then forward. She stopped and shook all over like a dog shaking water from fur. We parted ways, and I knew I could not tell anyone until I was an adult... That Honda could scramble!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hmm
CL77.jpg
Found one! Me sitting on it, taken about 1972. Wish it was color, that yellow was bright!
We lived in Spring Valley CA at the time. Not a 100 yards from were that photo was taken were great off-roads to ride.

Only rode it as a passenger, brotherly love only goes so far :lol2: The Scrambler was huge to me as I'd only ridden mini-bikes and 100cc dirtbikes.

Last edited:
Like the Honda CL 72, and 77. BSA441, Yamaha Big Bear. It took youth and lots of energy to get these around the track! What you didn’t know that these were actually track bikes! I’ll admit the tracks didn’t have double and triple jumps, but they were rough enough to work through there 3 inch rear and 6 inch front travel. They were light 350 lbs and all you had to do to race them was ride to the track, take off the head and tail light, put on a bib with your number on it, and jump on that solid peg bike, some times dead engine starts, and go. How did we live through it.
Oh yeah...

Kawasaki Bushmaster 90
Kawasaki 125 Enduro
Honda Elsinore
Penton 125 Six-Days (2)
DKW 125 (same Sachs engine as the Penton)
Bultaco Pursang
Suzuki Cyclone
Honda CL77 (2)
Yamaha YDS3 250 Scrambler
Honda SL350
Honda CL360
Yamaha XT250
Yam XT500
Honda XR250
Hon XL250
Kawasaki Bighorn
Yamaha YG-T
Rickman Montesa 250
BSA 441 (5)
Triumph TR6C
Triumph 6T street tracker
Norton P11 Ranger
Kawasaki KLR

These days, only street bikes left. The Rickman was the last to go...

Sandia VMX, 2008, on my Rickman Montesa 250. Dave Aldana lapped me twice, but I still came in 2nd!
1vmx1.jpg

Yamaha XT250, my first monoshock bike...
xt250.JPG

Those are all the photos I have of me on dirt bikes...

Hey Grand Paul, same thing here , Brad Lackey lapped me twice up in Colorado once, he told me I was hauling a** the first time he passed me, but he said you were going faster the second time I lapped you. I got second in my class.

Hey Grand Paul, same thing here , Brad Lackey lapped me twice up in Colorado once, he told me I was hauling a** the first time he passed me, but he said you were going faster the second time I lapped you. I got second in my class.
I hard arm pump about half way thru the first lap, and was just going on adrenaline the rest of the way. Dick Mann had the track "raked" to produce what he called "cookie dough", but in actuality was like a track paved with small boulders that were still pretty evident at the end of the day's racing. It was body-jolting the entire time.

Ha ha, I raced a Rickman Montesa, Bultacos, BSA, Puch, Elsinore, and a few more, 1994, to 2006. Mostly Nationals, but also in the Houston AHRMA .

As a Honda mechanic in those good old days, I hated scramblers, mainly because they had high pipes (mufflers). 50% of the work I did was tune ups. Due to the way they were designed, you always had to remove the high pipes to set the valves. Evidently when they did the flat rate manual for tune ups, they never included the time to remove and replace the exhausts. So not only were scramblers a PIA, I got less money for more work 8^(

Back