• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SE Oklahoma-Broken Bow-Quick Trip Recs?

Auto

Reaction score
Was going to do a quick two day trip through the area solo? Leaving DFW on 26th, returning evening 27th. Any ideas? Campsite recommendations?

Broken Bow's Beavers Bend recreation area has cabins to rent- I've seen bikes parked outside of them but never stayed there myself. Might be a good base camp.

$115 a night, looks like a few are available.

Familiar with it intimately, was looking for campsites due to perfect weather...but they look to be at a premium.

Talemina State Park, Winding Stair Campground (if it is open this time of year), Billy Creek Campground, Clayton State Park. TONS of great riding up in that area.

Also, Mountain Fork Park Campground near the diversion dam on the Mt fork river below Beavers Bend. might be kind of a sketchy campground. Been a decade since I've camped there.

Last edited:
If you do Broken Bow, you could ride north on 259 & pick up the Talimena Parkway and it's a pretty ride. Once you get on the Talimena & to the Queen Wilhelmina Lodge, you can get a $5 camp site at the little country store at the bottom of Rich Mtn (272) & they serve breakfast too. Been there a bunch & it's fun for an overnight... keep your ear plugs handy cause the train comes through all night long! :rofl:That's the only downside but it's not that bad.

If you do Broken Bow, you could ride north on 259 & pick up the Talimena Parkway and it's a pretty ride. Once you get on the Talimena & to the Queen Wilhelmina Lodge, you can get a $5 camp site at the little country store at the bottom of Rich Mtn (272) & they serve breakfast too. Been there a bunch & it's fun for an overnight... keep your ear plugs handy cause the train comes through all night long! :rofl:That's the only downside but it's not that bad.

Now that's what I am talking about. Noises don't bother me, I lived about 50 Yards from the L in Chicago and slept with my windows open :)

Last edited:
2nd vote for Talimena State Park. The tent sites were only $10 last time I was there - I don't know your age, but half price if you're over 62, regardless of whether you're an Oky resident. The campground has flushers and showers. Call ahead & the couple who runs the park will reserve you a site. If you feel like a little hiking while you're there, the Ouachita Trail runs right through the campground; you can pick it up and walk a couple of miles.

Also, 2nd vote for the Winding Star national forest campground, which is about 20 miles east of Talimena State Park, up on the Talimena Highway. The park sits high on the ridge, so there's a fantastic view to the north. Be aware that there's no water in the park - the well went dry a few years ago - so you have to import your own water. The National Forest Service Center at the entrance to the road would be a good source.

Lots of good roads in the area, or you could just run up & down the Talimena Highway all day, and never be bored.

Wish I had seen this before now. A friend and I just kind of tossed a dart at a map and ended up at a very seldom used spot in the National Forest on the NE end of Broken Bow Lake. Very primitive with NO facility's at all. Total boon-docking so if you are going to need it you have to bring it. Only saw a couple of people all weekend.
I'm not a computer kind of guy but here are the GPS numbers off Google maps. 34.273781, -94.697245.
Anyone wanting a beautiful place to get away for a day or so this would do it.

NWKLR, thanks for posting that. I plan on spending some time up in that area this spring. I have a budget of ZERO, so this kind of stuff helps.
There is actually some great riding just north of that inside the Three Rivers WMA.

I have heard about Three Rivers and been wanting to check it out. Just real hard to get the kitchen passes these days.
Budget level be damned I would rather be 100% self sufficient when out on the bike. Thats why I like the National Forests just find a cool spot and toss out the bed roll.

Back