• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Second Annual Ouray, CO DS Ride

_RG_

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Since GHT has sore fingers, figured one of us better get this thread set up.

The drive from home to Ouray is mostly an exercise in perseverance. You know, west Texas and New Mexico have some interesting spots...but not many. :yawn: These dust devils went way up high. Hard to figure how energy for these is sustained for hours at a time.

P8200026.jpg

It's been so long since I've seen rain that this was worth a picture or two. The smell was magical.

P8200027.jpg

P8200028.jpg

Stan and I had coordinated the trip up and both arrived in Ouray about the same time. What, a nap after such a long drive? :ponder: Nooo! Stan says "Hey RG, you wanna go for a little shake-down ride?" You Bet! So, we headed out to the nearest trail we could think of...Yankee Boy - Governor Basin.

This trail starts out as a wide gravel road within a stones throw from Ouray. It gradually gets more narrow and a little rougher farther along. There's a split in the road that goes to Imogene pass and Telluride. Just past that the trail becomes a rough shelf road. Then it starts climbing and gets rather technical in a hurry. We made it to the last couple of switch-backs before I whimped out. :nono: Stan has riding skills that would have taken him on up and beyond but that's not how he works. If I was stopping then we were staying together. Some folks in a jeep were watching us climb and decided to turn around two switch-backs below. :shock: This picture is the smooth part.

P8220050.jpg

The trail to Imogene is one of the prettiest I know of. This is the first of dozens of waterfalls out here. With the heavy snowfall last winter, water is running out of the ground all over the mountains.

P8220045.jpg

We headed on back into town. We were hopping right along down to the better roads when I noticed a white jeep setting off the side of the road. Folks last year warned me about this. Sure enough, traffic ranger. We stopped to visit with him and turns out he was about as nice a fellow as we could ever hope to meet out here. He gave Stan a trail map that showed some single-track and less trod trails.

The crew had started gathering. Terry had some issue with his carb and was busy taking things apart...with ample good advice provided.

P8220031.jpg

Stan, GHT and Terry doing carb surgery on a KTM.

P8220029.jpg

Here's the view from the back porch. A feller could do worse. 8-)

P8220030.jpg

Tomorrow, let the riding begin! :rider:

Thanks RG for getting this started!!! Fingers are fine, however I am finding lots of sore spots on my old body!!!! Terry and I got home this afternoon at about 3:30, temp was 104 :eek2::eek2::eek2:!!!! It's going to take a couple of days to get re-acclimated!!

Terry and I got home this afternoon at about 3:30, temp was 104 :eek2::eek2::eek2:!!!! It's going to take a couple of days to get re-acclimated!!

Ohhhh... let me see if I can work up some sympathy for you.....

Nope... not happening... :whatever:

Bring on the reports!! :popcorn:

Hey Scott,
We sure missed your smiling face:sun:, maybe next year!!!!:mrgreen:

:nana: . Keep the report coming.
I was there last summer. Got the v-strom way up Imogine. The bike wasn't as pretty when we where done.

:rider::clap::eek2::giveup:!!!!
What an AWESOME trip! I've been riding since 1970, and this has to be in the top 5 of all my motorcycle adventures... the greatest scenery, riding bikes with some of the greatest people you could hope to meet! I think my son sees me in a different (hopefully better) light after meeting the great bunch of guys I have the privilege of riding bikes with; all the advice he got, that seemed like "YADDA YADDA YADDA" from dad, makes an entirely different impression when coming from concerned serious others... and I can't thank ya'll enough.

Will try to post up some of our more interesting vids to YouTube, and do a ride report later; had to drive up to OK today and try to make some money to pay for the trip...

Get Well Soon to Duane, and anyone else who is still healing up slowly(guilty!) from too much fun...:trust:

De

ADD: Ben does Hard Rock Boogie! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lcSRnCNZDE

Last edited:
Since GHT has sore fingers, figured one of us better get this thread set up.

The drive from home to Ouray is mostly an exercise in perseverance. You know, west Texas and New Mexico have some interesting spots...but not many. :yawn: These dust devils went way up high. Hard to figure how energy for these is sustained for hours at a time.

P8200026.jpg

It's been so long since I've seen rain that this was worth a picture or two. The smell was magical.

P8200027.jpg

P8200028.jpg

Stan and I had coordinated the trip up and both arrived in Ouray about the same time. What, a nap after such a long drive? :ponder: Nooo! Stan says "Hey RG, you wanna go for a little shake-down ride?" You Bet! So, we headed out to the nearest trail we could think of...Yankee Boy - Governor Basin.

This trail starts out as a wide gravel road within a stones throw from Ouray. It gradually gets more narrow and a little rougher farther along. There's a split in the road that goes to Imogene pass and Telluride. Just past that the trail becomes a rough shelf road. Then it starts climbing and gets rather technical in a hurry. We made it to the last couple of switch-backs before I whimped out. :nono: Stan has riding skills that would have taken him on up and beyond but that's not how he works. If I was stopping then we were staying together. Some folks in a jeep were watching us climb and decided to turn around two switch-backs below. :shock: This picture is the smooth part.

P8220050.jpg

The trail to Imogene is one of the prettiest I know of. This is the first of dozens of waterfalls out here. With the heavy snowfall last winter, water is running out of the ground all over the mountains.

P8220045.jpg

We headed on back into town. We were hopping right along down to the better roads when I noticed a white jeep setting off the side of the road. Folks last year warned me about this. Sure enough, traffic ranger. We stopped to visit with him and turns out he was about as nice a fellow as we could ever hope to meet out here. He gave Stan a trail map that showed some single-track and less trod trails.

The crew had started gathering. Terry had some issue with his carb and was busy taking things apart...with ample good advice provided.

P8220031.jpg

Stan, GHT and Terry doing carb surgery on a KTM.

P8220029.jpg

Here's the view from the back porch. A feller could do worse. 8-)

P8220030.jpg

Tomorrow, let the riding begin! :rider:

Man he had to do the same thing last year....lolMust be a KTM thing...

We left Ouray and crossed the Uncomphagre National Forest to Gunnison. I happened to snap this picture with my smart phone.

Uncompahgre_National_Forest.jpg

Notice the old man of the mountain. I didn't see that until I saw the picture.

Do you any of you guys have tracks you can post?

Monday AM ---

This was our first day of riding in groups. FJRrider and a couple of chums had been abusing trails since the past Thursday but for the rest of the crew - we were just getting warmed up. We all met up each morning in front of the Timber Ridge to see who was going where and form up into groups...and wait for Mati. :scott:

IMG_0859.jpg

Terry was using GHT's fine 450EXC since his was convalescing from a recent carbectomy. One group of seven riders took off from Ouray up Corkscrew pass toward Animas Forks. AF is kind of the hub of a wagon wheel where several trails either go through or close by. We were going to pick up the Cinnamon Pass trail headed over to Lake City for lunch at Poker Alice and then come back over Engineer Pass.

IMGP0391.jpg

We took off in some cool morning air heading south out of Ouray on the Million Dollar highway to Ironton park. That's where we picked up the trail going east to California Pass. We stopped at the trail head to go over the usual rider rules and suggest that everyone give the rider in front of them some room. On steep rocky climbs, if the rider in front of you goes down then you have three options: Go around (not always easy), go over (does not win many friends), or stop. Stopping on a steep climb without telescopic legs usually means falling over. The first few miles are really great dirt trails through the forest that gradually turn to loose rock as we climbed. Many scenic water crossings and some football sized rock fields along the way. Everyone made it just fine. :rider:

IMG_0904.jpg

The first couple of switch-backs approaching the pass are not so bad and all was well...right up to where the last few switch-backs get really tight and awful rocky. The youngest of our crew managed to get a little too close to the really loose stuff coming around a turn and had to lay it down or go over the edge. No harm done and I believe that was the exact spot where several of us dropped bikes last year. Switch-backs require low end torq to make a slow turn but you still need HP to whack it as you immediately start up the next incline. Bikes jetted wrong, low on CC's or geared too tall are going to have a tough time. This is where mechanical limitations start to outweigh rider skill in a hurry. We lost a couple of our crew here who's bikes just weren't configured for this stuff. :nono:

The rest went on up to the pass. Cool air, spectacular views and the first spot where I think everyone decides this is just about how good life gets. :thumb:

IMGP0452.jpg

Here's yours truly thinking..."Gee, that sure seemed a whole lot easier than it did last year on my KLR." :scratch:

P8220034.jpg

Brother Rydah's wicked XR650L on the pass. Trust me on this, the feller can ride.

IMGP0488.jpg

Rydah and Terry on the pass working out some logistics.

IMG_0968.jpg

The trail to Lake City actually goes over several passes starting with California. Hurricane pass is another.

IMGP0453.jpg

Man, if that doesn't make you want to throw a leg over it and just ride! :dude:

P8220036.jpg

The mountains have geologic layers like any where else. Here, you just see a lot more of them. As we climbed higher the layers went from soil to small loose rock to large loose rock to solid rock. Solid rock can be a smooth and stable path...unless it's wet. More on that later... :flip:

Going off the trail in some places is no big issue.

P8220048.jpg

In others, it's the last thing you want to do...or will ever do. :nono:

IMGP0476.jpg

IMGP0421.jpg

Near Animas Forks we decided to take the Placer gulch loop. Tourmeister and company took this last year which allowed the rest of us to be well fed and ready for a nap by the time they made it to lunch. I see why they spent time doing it...it's truly beautiful. :sun:

IMGP0473.jpg

Folks seem to park equipment out here where ever they used it last...or maybe where it happened to be when the snow melted. :shrug:

IMGP0456.jpg

Lunch was right on time and plenty good. :eat3: Now, it's time to make the afternoon run back to Ouray. However, there is Engineer mountain to deal with along the way. Exciting times to come...

IMGP0423.jpg

RG, who knew that on top of being a heck of cobbler cook, you are a top notch story teller! Keep it coming!

OK...Poker Alice's in Lake City was plenty good enough for lunch. The kitchen staff was made up of three young folks who were friendly as could be. I asked them what their most popular dish was. They all offered up suggestions but spoke with such an accent that I had a hard time understanding what they were saying. If it ain't English or Spanish then I'm lost. I asked the crew to name that accent but we were clearly stumped. So, I got up and went to find out. I asked what kind of accent they spoke with. They said I was the only one there with a funny accent and wondered if I'd ever darkened the door of any school room. Bulgarian... From what I could see, Bulgaria grows some right pretty girls. :trust:

Now we could stay there and nap ( very attractive option ) or saddle up and hit the trail. Takes a while to get over Engineer pass to Ouray. Not that far mileage wise...just takes a while. Running the last few miles down Engineer in the dark would be way more excitement than I could handle...let's ride! :rider:

IMGP0423.jpg

The trail to Engineer starts right in Lake City. You basically go to the middle of town and hang a left. Like so many trails, it starts out as a wide-smooth gravel road.

IMG_0797.jpg

Then you see a sign saying something about "county maintenance ends" and it's on! :thumb:

IMG_0899.jpg

You know, right after a good lunch, having to choose the smooth groove and not ride off the side of a mountain takes a little more focus than it did when we started out this morning. Mati looking way overdue for his afternoon nap. :yawn:

IMG_0882.jpg

Mati making it look easy...and, compared to where we were headed, it was.

IMG_0909.jpg

Seems like everything starts with a climb. Along the way are spots that'll focus your attention pretty quick. :eek2: Usually just as you top a hill or come around a corner. Even though school had started, there were still plenty of jeeps and four wheelers to watch out for...especially around the easy stuff.

IMG_0894.jpg

Crossing enumerable streams becomes second nature after a few dozen. The really nice part is they're usually gin clear so the first guy can *sort of* see the big rocks and the rocks aren't teflon on a doorknob slick like our own hill country. Rydah having fun with it.

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

The scenery is spectacular and pictures don't even begin to show the actual experience. It's way beyond what I can describe. Problem is...you still hafta ride that bike and do it mostly through stuff that can be challenging. Gandering at the beauty of the Rockys can be hazardous. :wary:

100_2075.jpg

P8220043-2.jpg

The remains of old mines and hammer mills are everywhere. The books say they mostly date back to the late 1800's. At one time, there were actually more mules in Ouray than there were people. How folks managed to bring in supplies and materials to these places is just astonishing. Silver and gold had their place but many of the mines were digging for minerals too. The antique mining equipment scattered around is like riding through a mechanical museum. See the old house beside the waterfall?

IMG_0883.jpg

With abundant moisture this year came flowers...everywhere. Truly beautiful to look at but then again...you have to ride.

IMG_0827.jpg

colorado.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

I'd always heard stock KTM seats were like riding on a 2X4. I have to disagree. After several days I can say that they're really much closer to riding on a treated 2X6. The bike may have been made for this kind of stuff but that so-called seat has gotta go! :shock: Breaks happen...thank goodness. Mostly for resting up or tightening things down.

100_2081.jpg

Some for discussing trivial things like "Which road do we take here? Didn't we come through here about an hour ago? :scratch: Who cares? We got gas, it's incredibly beautiful...let's ride!"

IMG_0858.jpg

Not many pictures of the descent...for good reason. It's a tough ride along loose rock shelf trails and down some solid rock steps mixed with tight switch-backs. Fun stuff to be sure but not while holding a camera. :nono:

Rydah comes down from the mountain. This smooth stretch is at the very end of the trail just before it hits the highway. Just behind those bushes is outright brutality.

IMG_0905.jpg

While we were waiting for everyone to pick their way down those last few miles, I spotted this under the bridge. Not sure what it means but I think I saw it mentioned in Backpacker magazine. CDT hikers...

P8220053.jpg

Tomorrow...Ophir Pass, Telluride and beautiful Last Dollar road.

:rider::clap::eek2::giveup:!!!!
What an AWESOME trip! I've been riding since 1970, and this has to be in the top 5 of all my motorcycle adventures... the greatest scenery, riding bikes with some of the greatest people you could hope to meet! I think my son sees me in a different (hopefully better) light after meeting the great bunch of guys I have the privilege of riding bikes with; all the advice he got, that seemed like "YADDA YADDA YADDA" from dad, makes an entirely different impression when coming from concerned serious others... and I can't thank ya'll enough.

Will try to post up some of our more interesting vids to YouTube, and do a ride report later; had to drive up to OK today and try to make some money to pay for the trip...

Get Well Soon to Duane, and anyone else who is still healing up slowly(guilty!) from too much fun...:trust:

De

ADD: Ben does Hard Rock Boogie! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lcSRnCNZDE

Since Benjamin only fell once, and Gary once, I felt it was only fair to make a video of my KLR drops; once a day for 4 of the 5 days we rode (there must have been an anomaly in Earths gravitational field that one day;-)). Meanwhile, after seeing RG's ride report, there's a high standard to meet and I'll be working on one that all my (me) fans will find acceptable....

KLR vs. Gravity here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Own3t3nqJq8

Great vid Dewayne!:clap: I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with.:mrgreen: I only wish I had gone down 4 times. I had over 4 drops on pole creek alone. One was more of a launch when I wasn't on the bike to get up a gnarly, rutted, uphill section between two trees. Another was kind of like a nice cooling off period in a stream.:rofl: I also fell in a stream on the two track. Yes, yes, I'm definitely laughing with you.

Rg, great ride reporting! You are Doing a terrific job with the pics and the writing is even better. BTW u must do pole creek with us next year. The scenery is amazing and it's very remote.

Talked w okdq a few days ago and he's doing good. Will be back to work in a few days to a week. Should be riding again by Christmas if not sooner. Thanks again to everybody who helped us out.

That's good stuff Dewayne! I expect almost everyone up there managed to go horizontal at one time or another. I was trying to cut the butter on Stan coming down the Engineer steps in the rain. Thought I'd just ease through a switch-back by going over the solid rock on the inside. The world tilted sideways so fast my feet never even got off the pegs. :rofl:

Thanks for the update on OKDQ, Chad. Good to know. Tell him we'll be looking for him on the trails. :thumb:

Great images RG! Try pine for your seat-yours might be oak!!! ha.

RG, who's bike are you riding?

KLR's are MUCH easier to ride there with a 14 tooth front sprocket ;-) Still a LOT of work though!

Back