• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Seeking asphalt within a day's drive from San Antonio

randypower

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Hi all. I would love to get the advice from the community here on where to go for a special ride my son and I will do this June.

First, the background... you may wish to skip to the end where I get to the question.

My son graduates from HS this year. Several years ago, we agreed that when this time came, we would take a month or more during this Summer to do an epic-for-us ride. Initially that would be Route 66 (westbound) but later considered other options with better riding roads.

Over the years, our little dream has shrunken down to about one week of time due to several reasons. He's working as much as possible to help pay for upcoming college and neither of us are long distance riders prepared for super long days in the saddle. Both of us currently ride small bikes: He's on a Ninja 250 and I'll likely be on the 310GS.

So we'd love some ideas from you on where we might trailer within a day so we can do 3-4 days of good day rides on asphalt. In 2017, we went to Eureka Springs and it was perfect. We stayed in a cabin and rode all around, including seeing part of my family in SW Missouri. We just don't want to do the same place again this time.

Randy if it were me Northern New Mexico or southern Colorado. Or a combo of both. There a numerous places to camp and KOAs scattered all over those areas. I can go into more detail if you think this might work for you? I know of some good motels and places to eat, more so in Colorado. Good to hear that you and your son are going to do something as a team. Have fun and ride safe. KP

KP, yes more details please. On my Google Maps, I've saved a few locations from others' ride reports around the Santa Fe area but we could go farther out too.

One solution would be to head for Mena Arkansas. There are endless roads spinning out of there. Plus, Mena is at the eastern end of the Talimena Highway, one of the best and most picturesque sections of paved curvies in the southwest. But you may find that to be a little too much like SW Missouri.

As Drew mentioned, New Mexico has a lot of great riding. The closest area to you would be the Cloudcroft-Ruidoso area at about 560 miles. I've traveled & camped there many times. It's high - 8000 feet - & covered with pine and aspen. There are numerous roads in the area that are picturesuqe, curvy, and beautifully paved. With the fairly low speed limits (everything is 55 or 60mph), that area would be perfect for 300cc road bikes.

Go farther north and you could base out of Red River NM. That's about 760 miles - a hard day's drive, but we've done it many times pulling a trailer. There are roads everywhere leading to Cimarron Canyon, Mora, Angel Fire, Las Vegas, and Taos. And you can even make it over to Santa Fe for a day trip. The whole area is high pine & aspen country, lots of curves, and a couple of interesting passes to drive.

You could also base out of Raton NM. That gives you the option of riding west over to the Red River area, or north into Colorado - up over Raton Pass to Trinidad, where you turn NW and ride a beautiful curvy two-lane up to Cucharas Pass & beyond. Only thing with that area is that, your connecting road in either direction is going to be I-25. If you're comfortable covering some interstate on a 300cc bike, no prob - the traffic will be extremely light compared to Bexar County interstates.

Or get really crazy and go farther west to the little town of Glenwood NM - again, about 760 miles. There lots of curves running south to Silver City, north to Reserve, or west to Alpine AZ. The New Mexico side is very hilly & tends to be covered with a lot of scruffy looking juniper. Drive west over to Alpine (or stay there, for that matter) and you're back in pine & aspen country, plus being in a great viewing area for elk.

All those areas in NM have excellent national forest campgrounds if your taste runs to tenting. If not, there are dozens of motels in Ruidoso, several in Red River, and maybe one or two in Glenwood.

If you don't mind traveling 2 days to get to your riding area, check out Salida CO. From there, every road in every direction is a pure gem. US 50 and the Arkansas River Canyon to the east, Monarch Pass to the west, Buena Vista and Leadville to the north, and Great Sand Dunes National Monument to the south.

Okay get over to NM 40 head north on 84 To Las Vegas,NM. Take 518 to Mora then 434 to NM38 the Enchanted loop and go north then continue west up and around and down. Then 64 to Chama if you have time check out the Toltec and Cumbres train ride. Eat at High country and if your tired, hang your helmets at the Branding Iron motel while in Chama. Then north to Pagosa Springs, CO160 to South Fork,149 to Gunnison. Gunnison would be a good spot to base for a day or so. Good food in the area,a nice KOA or stay at the Long Holiday Motel and make sure to eat your breakfast at the "W" cafe. Grab a steak dinner at the Ole Miner steak house also in Gunnison. Get on CO 50 and make a side trip over to Saguache (Colorado 114) and back nice curvy road perfect for your smaller rides. Head west on 50 over to Montrose then take 550 south all the way to Durango. The road between Ouray and Silverton is fun as long as you are not afraid of heights! It is a long way down if you mess up. Eat at Serious Texas BBQ while in Durango. Then across down and home.

Last edited:
Or....if the June weather permits..trailer to Las Cruces... Theres a nice older motel there (giant pepper out front) with a big parking area to keep the truck/trailer.
From there ride the river road north for a different view of NM...lots of orchards...pecans..peaches...peppers (Hatch) take 26 west to Nutt then 27 north to Hillsboro...152...35 to Gila Cliff Dwellings then 15 down to SilverCity for the nite.
From there 180 north then 78 west into AZ & 191 north thru Clifton past the huge mine & up to Alpine ( if the road is reopened) it was shut down briefly to fix a bridge near Morenci (see thread here for details on Devils Highway)
If 191 is closed at bridge..you can still take 180 to Alpine & do a down n back on 191 (still worth it) but make sure you have enuff gas for appx 200 mi.
From Alpine you can head north to Springerville & west on 260 to Show Low..or back into NM on 180 to 12 Reserve...them Datil east of on 60 see the huge radio astronomy dishes. Head to Socorro & pick up the river road south to Truth or Consequences....or east on 380 to Ruidoso & Cloudcroft for some fine riding then Almogordo to Las Cruces

This is all weather dependant of course...
But ...the riding is great

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

I like the Cloudcroft idea that Tim posted also. Tim is a world traveler and knows his way around camp grounds. I was there in October just sorta passing thru. Was 29 degrees and snowing. There are some nice cabins in Cloudcroft and several places to eat. The roads once out of town are not as scenic as northern New Mexico. If you do go that way make sure you grab a chicken fried steak at the Mayhill cafe.

While in Las Cruces make sure to go to the rest stop out of town and get a picture of the giant roadrunner. It is made of recycled trash. In Silver city stay at the Murray Hotel. If you go to the Gila cliff dwellings make sure to set aside extra time the road to them is very curvy and a bunch of spots to take some killer scenic pictures. The City of rocks state park is also a neat looking spot to camp but in the middle of now where. So bring your grub and anything you need with you. I like Mr2mch idea of AZ191. It is a perfect road if open for you and your son. Curves that you will never forget like the ones on Colorado 550 between Ouray and Silverton. If you are near Datil head on over to Pie Town New Mexico for some different flavors of pie

Last edited:
I don't have anything else to add to all the good replies, but just wanted to to say that
I was fortunate enough to have done just that w/ my oldest back when he graduated from h/s. For his senior trip, we went to Salida CO in Aug.
Friday& Sat to get there, 3 days riding d/s & single tracks, 1 day rafting and 1 day bicycling down Pike's Peak, then Fri & Sat return.

The icing on the cake was the other two families that we were a part of. Made this trip exceptionally memorable b/c not only all the kids and us dads rode dirt bikes, but we all stayed together in a bed n breakfast house that's dirt bike friendly - our bikes and gear and trailers and trickle chargers sprawled out all over the property,out in the middle of rural Salida. After the day's ride, the kiddos huddled up in their own space having lots of fun w/ their peers, and us adults would be to ourselves.

Have you noticed that where Drew & riding are concerned, all roads lead to chicken fried steak or BBQ? :lol2:

Hey Drew - We gotta do a ride next year, man. Or, I may have some time at the end of this summer - depends on whether or not my Utah trip is a go or no-go.

Have you noticed that where Drew & riding are concerned, all roads lead to chicken fried steak or BBQ? :lol2:

Hey Drew - We gotta do a ride next year, man. Or, I may have some time at the end of this summer - depends on whether or not my Utah trip is a go or no-go.

It hard to be a foodie.:eat3: Its a dirty job but somebody has to do it.:rofl: Sounds good for next year.:deal: This year except the Oklahoma deal is looking pretty full.

Sounds like fun no matter where you go! As an alternative, consider East. Trailer to Birmingham Alabama and get into some of roads out in the Smokies. Tail of the Dragon kind of stuff. Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham is pretty cool. I've made one trip out there and I had a blast. BBQ is good too ... Anyway it's a long day to get there, but so is Colorado. Maybe do Colorado this time and the Smokies next time!

I had thought some about Cloudcroft (I may make it to Sander's DS ride this year) but had little idea whether there is good pavement in the area too.

Thanks for all the great ideas, commentary, and food spots. Drew, your brain must be organized by good BBQ and CFS and the sources thereof.

You've already given us a treasure of ideas within reach. I've read this thread to my son and it's generating some good excitement between us, not only for this trip but maybe others down the line. With all the options in NM and CO, that sounds like the place to target this time around. We may even push longer than a week for the whole trip. Here's hoping for good weather.

Thanks everyone!

Didnt mention it...but there are some fantastic paved county roads out of Alto..I think on 220
Fred & I took a couple of them a few years ago... I think Ruidoso Ron is the guys name who lives on one of em. Fred was on his Goldwing for reference

Last edited:
I had thought some about Cloudcroft (I may make it to Sander's DS ride this year) but had little idea whether there is good pavement in the area too.

Thanks for all the great ideas, commentary, and food spots. Drew, your brain must be organized by good BBQ and CFS and the sources thereof.

You've already given us a treasure of ideas within reach. I've read this thread to my son and it's generating some good excitement between us, not only for this trip but maybe others down the line. With all the options in NM and CO, that sounds like the place to target this time around. We may even push longer than a week for the whole trip. Here's hoping for good weather.

Thanks everyone!

Randy if you do get that extra day or two add in the train ride and also CO 92 behind the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

Kiwi... It was mentioned in the first post that they had been to AR & were lookin for something different this time around.

But AR is nice...n close

Kiwi... It was mentioned in the first post that they had been to AR & were lookin for something different this time around.

But AR is nice...n close

oooops
Sorry I missed that bit.

No problem... I'm collecting all the ideas and will map out routes. We might tweak each day as we go, based on how long we feel like being in the saddle, weather, and what we discover along the way.

You all have given us a lot to go on, including some alternatives to the NM-CO region that we can switch to, should the weather look terrible at trip time.

I've looked up a bunch of these suggestions for roads and locations on Google Maps and it turns out I already had several tagged as "Want to Visit". I tend to do that when reading RRs, so good stuff.

We are still seven weeks away, so there's time if other ideas are shared.

I'm very grateful for the suggestions. TWT rocks.

And so do you randy for the "senior trip" with your son!

And so do you randy for the "senior trip" with your son!

Haha thanks, Brian. I have some pretty awesome kids. Luckily, each of the three is passionate about something I love too: playing music, vintage video games, and motorcycling.

btw, I have been a monthly TWT supporter for years. At least PayPal is sending money to someone, hopefully Scott, though I don't see the Forum Supporter badge on my name anymore. I'll ping him if it doesn't self-correct within a few days.

Haha thanks, Brian. I have some pretty awesome kids. Luckily, each of the three is passionate about something I love too: playing music, vintage video games, and motorcycling.

btw, I have been a monthly TWT supporter for years. At least PayPal is sending money to someone, hopefully Scott, though I don't see the Forum Supporter badge on my name anymore. I'll ping him if it doesn't self-correct within a few days.
I've finally conquered the common 6 or 9 guitar chords myself (muscle memory/strum patterns etc). Love picking and exploring too. Good therapy. Fender california sonoran natural acoustic and cheap fender squire electric with 15 watt fender mustang 1 amp. Great for couch performers:lol2:

I've finally conquered the common 6 or 9 guitar chords myself (muscle memory/strum patterns etc). Love picking and exploring too. Good therapy. Fender california sonoran natural acoustic and cheap fender squire electric with 15 watt fender mustang 1 amp. Great for couch performers:lol2:

Cool.. you could almost easily take those along with you on two wheels. Packing my bass gtr and amp would just about exceed my bikes' gvwr. Plus, camping neighbors wouldn't approve. 🎸

Back