• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Seeking asphalt within a day's drive from San Antonio

There is a nice dirt road going from Gunnison up to Crested Butte that was cool and easy to ride. Think it is something like 26 miles long very small bike friendly. Might want to try it. Pictures in that ride report I posted a few posts above. CO 114 would be a good partial day ride if you station in Gunnison. The KOA there has cheap A-frame tent cabins for rent. The Black canyon of the Gunnison between Gunnison and Montrose is a neat place to visit also if you have the time. North clear creek falls is also a great spot for pictures. So many places for photos it hard to ride when every place you go on these roads are worth stopping several times for breath taking pictures. Tim Shelfer also has several ride reports in these areas and he takes way better pictures then I do.:photo:

Did you figure out where you two are heading? We are expecting a ride report when you get back with plenty of pics.:photo: Also I think a bunch of us will be interested in hearing how your smaller bikes work out for you on the ride. :deal:

Did you figure out where you two are heading? We are expecting a ride report when you get back with plenty of pics.:photo: Also I think a bunch of us will be interested in hearing how your smaller bikes work out for you on the ride. :deal:

I created a track to follow through all the desired locations/roads and easily realized it was too ambitious. It was a good problem to have too many good places to consider. So I pulled out some of the NM targets and decided to go deeper into CO where I may also visit a buddy or two along the way. NM is closer and will be easier to return to when I have fewer days for a trip. Above all, we will remain flexible and may end up changing any/all plans once we get there. We don't know yet how many miles we'll want to go daily, what the weather may dictate, etc.

I'll see if I can get a Google Maps link to work here, or upload the gpx for feedback.

Also, I extended the trip. šŸ˜ We're going to take advantage while we have the opportunity. After riding around CO, we'll load the bikes up and continue west to Lake Tahoe where we'll meet friends and stay for a few days before trucking back home.

My 310 has been in the shop for warranty stuff for a while (including waiting weeks for parts von Deutschland), but it looks like I'll have it back in time. Otherwise, I'll be on my xt250 with knobbies. šŸ™„

GPX attached. Hopefully the forum's built-in gpx viewer will work well here. (Tapatalk users will probably need to open in the browser.)

Edit: the built-in GPX viewer only shows one segment of the track. I'll look for an alternative.

Edit 2: Let's try this Google Maps view.

The loop starts and ends in Walsenburg, CO. No special reason except it seemed a good target to drive to. I need to find a place that will let me park the truck and small trailer for a few days.

Feedback would be very appreciated.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Summer_2019_version_2.gpx
    151.7 KB · Views: 324
GPX attached. Hopefully the forum's built-in gpx viewer will work well here. (Tapatalk users will probably need to open in the browser.)

Edit: the built-in GPX viewer only shows one segment of the track. I'll look for an alternative.

Edit 2: Let's try this Google Maps view.

The loop starts and ends in Walsenburg, CO. No special reason except it seemed a good target to drive to. I need to find a place that will let me park the truck and small trailer for a few days.

Feedback would be very appreciated.

GPX viewer

Let me know what CO 285 is like.

KP, me and #2 son ran CO 285 last July when we were coming from Baggs WY. to Del Norte pick it up in Johnson village beautiful ride but got real windy after Poncha springs tough on the KLR and DR to fight that cross wind but yet there was some nice scenery to see, especially when you grew up in south east Texas.

Aaron

Drew, will be happy to comment on CO 285.

Aaron, I hope we don't have the same wind you ran into. Was it a constant wind or gusty? Any idea how quick the wind was moving? Trevor's Ninja 250 may not be bothered as much as my "big" 310GS. ;-)

I took my original too-ambitious route that included NM and CO, deleted the CO destinations and now have a NM route to work on and have in my queue to ride at some point in the future. I think I included all the recommendations from the kind folks in this thread, but I will have time to tweak for a while. I may not get to ride this one until next year.

NM route in Google Maps:

Attached is GPX but note the TWTex built-in GPX Viewer will only show the first "day" (segment) and it won't work from Tapatalk.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• NM_ride_loop v1.gpx
    102.9 KB · Views: 300
Can't say how fast wind was blowing but do remember it was some times hard to ride with one hand off the bars and it moved you around in the lane a lot and it was a cloudy day and got in to some rain when we got close to Del Norte. Most of that is in a valley south off Poncha springs i do know i was glad to get to Saguache, stop at the Sinclair station for about an hour to rest.

Aaron

KP, me and #2 son ran CO 285 last July when we were coming from Baggs WY. to Del Norte pick it up in Johnson village beautiful ride but got real windy after Poncha springs tough on the KLR and DR to fight that cross wind but yet there was some nice scenery to see, especially when you grew up in south east Texas.

Aaron
Is the road as straight as it looks on the map? What is the scenery like?

Just high plans to me KP slow rolling grass land some rock formations if i remember right you can see the mountains on both sides seen a few four leg critters but to far away to tell what they were elk maybe, but i grew up were you have to stand on the hood of the truck to see more than a mile are see pine trees are salt grass all the time, so that's scenery to me.

Aaron

Wind rises and falls on mountain slopes and can become concentrated in "microbursts" ask truckers .

Back