• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Selling an Untitled Motorcycle Trailer in Texas

jfink

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Fink
I am hoping some good person can provide some information. As some may be aware, I recently purchased a 2018 GL1800 Tour. It came with a Road Dog GT trailer. I am not a trailer person and never plan to use the trailer and will offer the trailer for sale when I am ready to remove the trailer hitch.

I went in today to the TDMV to see what was involved with legally transferring ownership of the trailer, since for all intents and purposes in Texas's eyes the trailer still belongs to the previous owner (I only have a bill of sale). I was told it will need to be retitled and re-registered for me to sell it legally. I explained it was a motorcycle trailer, it never had a title and I never planned to pull it so I don't need a registration.

I was told, regardless, since I didn't have a title, that I would have to request and pay for a Bonded Title and was given the paperwork. I asked why the previous owner didn't have to provide a title to me, when he sold it? They answered that he should have!!??? I asked why the manufacturer didn't have to provide a title when they originally sold the trailer and he agreed that it didn't make sense. ARGGGH! So, in summary, the original manufacturer doesn't have to provide a title but every owner subsequently must have a title to sell the trailer??? I guess the government doesn't have to make sense.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with or advice for selling an untitled motorcycle trailer in Texas?

Thanks, I tried that direction. And believe me, I know you can get different answers from the same county Tax Office. However, I was told that in order to sell the trailer, it had to have a title.

I may just give the regional TxDMV service center a call tomorrow and see if they can 'splain it to an idiot like me.

Yea, I'd be curious to know why I can register a Kendon trailer with no title but that dinky little trailer needs one. let us know what you find out.

Even still, bonded title should be pretty cheap on that if it works out that way.

Yea, I'd be curious to know why I can register a Kendon trailer with no title but that dinky little trailer needs one. let us know what you find out.

Even still, bonded title should be pretty cheap on that if it works out that way.

I have a Kendon as well. A friend and I bought it together and did not receive a title. When he was done with trailering, he sold his half to me. We went to the Regional Service Center in Houston and they took care of it, without a title. Now I am the sole owner, with no title. So I asked about my Kendon today, what if I wanted to sell it? The guy said I would have to go through the same process to get a Title!??? He was telling me that registration and reselling are two separate things.

Yeah, the bonded title application fee is only $15.00, then they will have to verify the value, so I can pay the taxes.

I just bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer. Just needed a Bill of Sale and proof of previous registration. Mine was previously registered in Cali. No problem.

even bought new , trailers under 4000lbs typically come with a certificate of origin not a title.

Reactions: Vec
even bought new , trailers under 4000lbs typically come with a certificate of origin not a title.

That may be the problem, I didn't get a Certificate of Origin. The previous owner didn't have all the paperwork together, when we made the deal. I am trying to get hold of him to see if he can find it.

I think you have found one of "those" workers in the DMV, it appears.

I bought a 10' utility trailer with a BoS and CoO.
At the DMV, I was given the option of registering the trailer and keeping the CoO or having a real title issued.

It appears, based upon what I'm reading and understanding, you have nothing but a BoS ... that may be the issue.

Can you call the manufacturer with a serial number or other ID number and get a copy of the CoO?
It had to have one in order to get registered.

Go to a different office. I've never had anything but a bill of sale and I've gone through several small trailers.

I think you have found one of "those" workers in the DMV, it appears.

I bought a 10' utility trailer with a BoS and CoO.
At the DMV, I was given the option of registering the trailer and keeping the CoO or having a real title issued.

It appears, based upon what I'm reading and understanding, you have nothing but a BoS ... that may be the issue.

Can you call the manufacturer with a serial number or other ID number and get a copy of the CoO?
It had to have one in order to get registered.

The manufacturer went out of business, but you may be right about the CoO.

Tell them a Bohemian buddy of yours built it for you. LOL. Straight up from scratch .

Stickers ??? We don't need no stinking STICKERS !

Tell them a Bohemian buddy of yours built it for you. LOL. Straight up from scratch .

Stickers ??? We don't need no stinking STICKERS !

I will be sure to mention your name. It's about who you know, right?

I have a Kendon as well. A friend and I bought it together and did not receive a title. When he was done with trailering, he sold his half to me. We went to the Regional Service Center in Houston and they took care of it, without a title. Now I am the sole owner, with no title. So I asked about my Kendon today, what if I wanted to sell it? The guy said I would have to go through the same process to get a Title!??? He was telling me that registration and reselling are two separate things.

Yeah, the bonded title application fee is only $15.00, then they will have to verify the value, so I can pay the taxes.
The last six words tell me all I need to know.

Actually those last six words should be "So I can pay the bond." No conspiracy here, that clerk isn't getting anything from this, no kickback, they just don't know their own job.

Fill out the form, take it in to another office where hopefully someone has a head free rectum, and hand them the form. They don't need to know what kind of trailer it is, what it looks like, except that it's under 4000 pounds and is being registered as such. Pay the fees, get your tag.

I didn't have a COO either, just a BoS and proof of previous registration. No problem. If I wanted it, I would have no problem buying your trailer.

No problem registering small trailers. I just walk in and tell them I want to register a shop made trailer. She asks for the weight and I say 1,000 lbs.

I had the same issue with a boat I bought from a so called "Friend". He said he would get me the title. Going through the bonded title was a real ordeal until I moved to a small town. After that it was a little paperwork and done. Seems things are much different in the big city. The homemade trailer is the way to go. If you want answers don't call the location you will be visiting!!

What I see is that you need a bill of sale and a prior registration receipt. It seems to me that the old license plate should prove that it has been registered. (If it was) You would still need 130-u, signed by seller to proceed. That way you could license the trailer and then sell it with the same process. My last trailer was new and came with a certificate of origin from the Wells Cargo, I was able to title it in my name with the bill of sale so the state got their $.
A Walker County Deputy heavily scrutinized me years ago with a "homemade title" with a trailer that looked better than average. Not saying that any of us lack the skills to make a professional trailer. I am hoping to convert a jet ski trailer to a m/c trailer with the homemade system.

Prior receipt is all I’ve ever needed for any of my trailers , only one has a title but it’s a 12,000 gvw , I sold a 20,000 gvw that had farm tags with no title too , I bought it from original purchaser and he had only a mso .

I have more information and it's not good. In order to get the trailer transferred, in Montgomery County, I will have to jump through unbelievable hoops. Friday I took the trailer to my local motorcycle shop to have it appraised. This is in preparation to complete a VTR-130 SOF (Statement of Fact) and then a VTR-130 U (Bonded Title). My friend at the shop said he could no longer do appraisals I had to have a "Certified Appraiser" and he gave me the name of a fellow, David, down in Spring TX. So, I took it there.

David (a good guy by the way) said he could do the appraisal, but it would cost me $100. The state REQUIRES this fee, similar to an inspection fee for vehicles. David then asked if I lived in Harris County or Montgomery County. Montgomery I said. He said that he now understood. Montgomery County are nothing but a bunch of money grabbing bast@rds. He said if I lived in Harris county this would be no problem at all, take in the paperwork and they would issue the transfer and registration. So, the issue is actually with the County I live in.

I also talked to my Uncle who has a low boy registered as AG in Madison County. He said that Madison county now requires him to show his AG exemption when he registers his trailer. He also goes to Colorado for five months every year and has talked to some of his neighbors, who said they have gotten tickets from the State of Colorado for pulling a Texas trailer registered as AG. And they were hefty tickets.

Based on the County where I live, I will have to have the trailer appraised for which there is a $100 state fee. Then I have to file with the State for a bonded title for which there is a $15.00 fee. Then I have to pay a %6.5 Value Tax on the value of the trailer as determined by by the appraiser. Then I either must surrender the current license plate, leaving the trailer unregistered OR re-register the trailer and pay the annual registration fee, probably around $50. If I don't get it registered in a timely manner after buying it, I will also have to pay a penalty. I got this information from David who just shook his head, while questioning just how deep my County will reach into my pocket. Bottom line is I will have to pay around $250 for a trailer I plan to just turn around and sell.

To top all this off, when I left David's lot, the trunk lid on the Wing did not close properly and on the freeway the Bill of Sale blew out. ARGGGH! I have been in contact with the previous owner and it sounds like he will offer a new Bill of Sale.

Since all I plan to do is to sell the trailer, David suggested I leave the buyer information blank on the Bill of Sale, get the seller to sign the VTR-130 U and let whoever buys the trailer follow up with all this, with the appropriate discount of course? He said that likely the County where the buyer lives will be more flexible than Montgomery County (bastages!).

Just old habits , I never sign titles until required to for a future transaction and never date any paperwork until required for the same reason . Sure saves a lot of trouble and it will make disposing of all my crap a lot easier on my kids . Unless there is a state issued title nothing is officially mine .

I believe I have found my answer. The original seller actually found a Title to said trailer. He has signed the Title and a new Bill of Sale without a date nor a buyer, as I plan to sell the trailer immediately, (I plan to list it here today). That should keep me from having to transfer the title (with ad valorem tax) and register the trailer (with registration fees). My advice, if you plan to buy or sell an untitled trailer, is to find another county. Montgomery County is here to serve you (as the main course!)

That certainly simplifies things.

Back