• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Semi-permanent SHNF thread

Looks like an easy enough pace for me to fit in.:mrgreen:

Reality: whenever I meet up with anyone, they get a 5 minute rest, waiting for me at each FR crossing.:giveup:

I must stop watching these videos. It's depressing.

Thanks! Great video. From the tracks, it looks like a small bulldozer may have been cleaning things up. Those new bridges look impressive. Sorry I haven't been able to help out due to several health issues. I'm on the way to mending up and hope to be able to make it up there in a month or two.

Thanks! Great video. From the tracks, it looks like a small bulldozer may have been cleaning things up. Those new bridges look impressive. Sorry I haven't been able to help out due to several health issues. I'm on the way to mending up and hope to be able to make it up there in a month or two.

Yes, Trails Unlimited, private contractor has a small machine of some sort, I've never seen it. It does a great job, only down side is the trail are too wide at first, brush will grow back some. Plus some of the loop was use for logging and you could run trophy trucks through it right now!:giveup:

BTW GUYS, ALL THE MULTI-USE TRAILS AND TRAILHEADS ARE NOW OPEN! IT TOOK A LOT OF WORK AND MAINTANENCE TO GET THEM ALL REOPENED, BUT IT IS DONE AND WE CAN NOW RIDE THEM ALL. THANKS TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT HELPED US GET THEM REOPENED AND RIDABLE AGAIN, TOOK QUITE A WHILE BUT IT IS FINISHED AND WE CAN ALL ENJOY THEM AGAIN.

Sub'ing. Just moved to the Woodlands a month ago, ran up 208 and a few of the side 208's (208A...B...C) the other day. I saw the multi-use trails, but didn't dare try them with my DR just yet.

Looks like a great place to explore, hope to find more good roads.

Sub'ing. Just moved to the Woodlands a month ago, ran up 208 and a few of the side 208's (208A...B...C) the other day. I saw the multi-use trails, but didn't dare try them with my DR just yet.

Looks like a great place to explore, hope to find more good roads.

If you're looking for someone to ride with up there, check out "Old Dudes on Dirt Bikes" for forest trail rides and DS rides in that area. We got them all the time, just check the calendar on ODODB. DS ride Saturday BTW

We got the BIG LOOP finally open. Anyone from TWT got to ride it yet? Here's a little sample of what it is.....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQwjKRYefMA"]ODODB SHNF "THE BIG LOOP" - YouTube[/ame]

Anyone know if SHNF got too much rain over the past few days to ride this weekend? I've tried calling the number and checking the website with no luck on either. Number is busy all the time. I know it's a long shot but....

Anyone know if SHNF got too much rain over the past few days to ride this weekend? I've tried calling the number and checking the website with no luck on either. Number is busy all the time. I know it's a long shot but....

I'll be concerned about them opening next weekend(19th), lol! But it's going into the 80's, it'll dry pretty quick. But this w/e, don't see how.

Working the east side trails on Sunday 4/10/16 at 8:30am. Meeting at the east side trailhead and going to try and get over 50 trees cut off OUR trails. We could use some helpers for our sawyers right now if anyone is interested on TWT. Serving lunch to the participants also.

Sorry, I won't be able to make it.
Lots of stuff going on this weekend.

next time Girard, we have a lot to do on this one for sure. Hoping all the sawyers signed up, show up, or we'll be in trouble to finish this.

Another successful workday in the SHNF on the east side MUT trails. Over 60 fallen trees cut off our trails today. East side is now ready to ride again. This was a combined effort from ODODB and TRH.

Attachments

• IMG_1523.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Never ride there but sure appreciate the work y'all do. Are all these trees falling due to being weakened by the drought? Shame to see those beauties down.

Never ride there but sure appreciate the work y'all do. Are all these trees falling due to being weakened by the drought? Shame to see those beauties down.

We cut this many off the trails every so many months out there. Drought, wind storms, aged trees all drop out there all the time. Key is not to be there when they fall.

I was out in my truck exploring, looked at little wet, but the trailheads were open. Saw tracks from 2 bikes. Still would call first.

We rode Thursday and trails had some puddles but were in good shape for riding.

If you like riding on weekdays, suggest you visit the Old Dudes on Dirt Bike site calendar, ride most weeks when the forest is open, and do it year round.

Does anyone know when the trails will be reopened? Weather has been great lately so hopefully the trails are getting dried out.

Back