• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Server Busy Errors

Did you ever get rid of that free-loading other forum (forgot the name - touring or something like that)? ;-)

I haven't seen the server busy errors, but I have been unable to load the forum on several occasions since the reboot.

Did you ever get rid of that free-loading other forum (forgot the name - touring or something like that)? ;-)

I'll bet not. They have he same delays at the same times as TWT. I can try to load both pages in separate tabs and they both have the same load or time out times. :giveup:

Timed out today from 13:13 - 13:19. 51 members and 51 guests online when it came back up.

I posted this at approx 13:22 but the time stamp on the thread was 12:57?

:tab Yeah, last night it went down around 10:00pm :doh: It was so bad that I could not even telnet into the server to attempt a restart of MySQL. Not sure what caused that. Usually, with a spike, I would still be able to telnet into the server to run command line stuff. The next step is to try making some changes to the MySQL config file to see if that helps.

Doh... that is annoying! I will have to submit a ticket on that...

Scott, The problem may not be software or firmware. The mother board or a hard drive on the server may going on the fritz.
:sun:

Well, if that were the case, I would expect the problem to have gotten much worse since we first moved to this server box. My experience with most hardware failures is that they either bring things to a screeching halt pretty quick, or in short order... I have seldom seen one that lingers for months. I'm not saying it is impossible, just unusual. In the end, if we have all the software upgraded and the problem persists, then it may be time to look at moving to a new physical server. The problem with that is it will cost a LOT of money...

Well, the upgrade seems to have made things even worse :doh: :headbang: So the server has been rolled back to the previous kernel version for now. I'm working on some other stuff in the mean time. Sorry for the annoyance :oops:

Would the archives have anything to do with it? Maybe try deleting stuff older than two years and see if that helps.

:tab That should only matter if people are doing lots of searches. I have tried doing searches on broad key words to see if that drives up the load and it does not seem to :shrug:

:tab At this point, I am exploring options to move to a new (as in custom built) server strictly for TWT so that there are no sharing issues to worry about. It will cost quite a bit more initially, but for the peace of mind and hopefully stable environment, it would be worth it.

I got the time out thingy today at 14:25. But it only lasted for about 3 or so minutes so my withdrawals didn't get out of hand.... this time...:trust:

Yeah... I think Squeaky and Gilk51 get the shakes... :lol2:

Oh, I know the times down to the minute. I get TONS of error emails every time there is a database error ;-)

I just updated the MySQL config file about five minutes ago (11:15pm). Now we play the waiting game to see if that helps... :ponder:

Yeah... I think Squeaky and Gilk51 get the shakes... :lol2:

What you talkin' 'bout?
cold.gif

I can quit any time! :shock:

Well I don't know if this would help with the diagnosis, or puzzle you even more... but I've noticed when I get the "server busy" error message, that if I click on the link to the home page, and from the home page to the 'forums' link, it will let me in immediately, instead of getting another "server busy" message. It has worked every time since I tried that.

Well scratch my last post... I should have known better than to write "works every time" .... :doh:

don't know the exact time but about 2pm 9-18 it was "too busy" for about 20 minutes

Would more memory help? I was of the opinion that Unix was bullet proof. Oh wait it's the software, but then the software folks always say it's the hardware. This scenario hasn't changed since I entered the computer/data processing field in the late 60's.:shrug:

Are there any rights issues as far as who has access to which files/data bases? I have know of instances where rights were not verified yet a denial msg would never be issued and the program would just go into a loop or drop off into the black hole ultimately consuming vast amounts of system resources.

:tab Everything I am being told by the VB support people is that our hardware setup should be over kill for our use levels. So either we have a piece of hardware going bad on us, or there is something in the software that is off... I will probably take the site down again this coming Saturday at noon so the techs at the hosting center can run a hardware check to ensure there is not something wrong with any of the components. Wczimmerman is currently going through all the software stuff checking settings, tweaking config stuff, etc,... trying to eliminate anything from that angle. I have gone over all the settings within VB itself looking for anything that might be consuming server resources and so far as I can tell, there is nothing else to be done in forum software :shrug: If all else fails, I will then consider simply setting up a custom server from scratch with all new software (clean install) and then moving the site again (a pain, but this needs to get fixed!)

Can't we just give the server a break? I mean maybe it has to go to the bathroom or needs a little "me" time. You Guys are so needy. :doh:

Stephen

I've been working with Scott on this issue for a couple of days now. I think we're making progress, but there's been a whole lot of :headbang:

Quick-Silver: you asking if UNIX is rock solid? In short, yes. :trust:

This issue is a strange one, though. When the system was unresponsive before, it was because the system load would spike suddenly and cross the threshold that the apps were configured to respond with a "server busy" error. What was causing the system load spike is still unknown. :giveup:

Currently, we've tuned MySQL for better memory use (smaller, actually) which has reduced the running system load pretty dramatically. I don't think anyone has seen a "server busy" error since yesterday afternoon, but the remaining issue is one of the connection not responding for a period of time. I have noticed that there are errors and dropped packets on the interface and they have been growing, so a new cable or network card would be the next logical step in this process.

TM: can you setup with the hosting company a time for them to replace the cable with a new one AND move it to a different port on the switch? They need to check the logs on the switch, too for errors.

All in all, I think the system performance is improving. The loading seems to run a bit faster unless it's just my optimistic thinking. :lol2: If we can just nail down this connectivity issue, then I think we'll be good for a while.

Back