• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Service intervals . BMW / KTM / Triumph

Reaction score
This is my bikes records .
doh.gif
Little things like regular checks / lube points I do not record as far to often.
I am kind of shocked with the service intervals of new bikes epically BMW / KTM / Triumph . I notice owners who follow the long service interval have more issues or break downs on forums vs owners who like me literally over or early service.
There is a IRON BUTT guy not far from me with the same Tiger 1200 in a 2019 year model with 49,xxx miles . He has had to have the rear diff replaced twice under warranty .
Triumph wants Diff fluid changed once , and then not listed ever again .

2018 Triumph Tiger 1200 XCX Service details. Purchased 10/24/20 as left over unit.

10/30/20 = Oil / Filter / Diff Fluids changed @ 153 miles
11/15/20 = Oil / Filter / Diff Fluids changed @ 1060 miles
1/10/21 = Oil / Filter only @ 3,251
4/8/21 = Oil / Filter / Diff Fluids changed @ 5439 miles
6/6/21 = Oil / Filter / Air filter / Throttle bodies cleaned @ 8065 miles
7/17/21 = New Battery Shori
9/28/21 = Big Bend Trip / Oil only @ 9838 miles
10/13/21 = Oil / Filter / Diff Fluids / Brake fluid flush , changed @ 12,225 miles
12/4/21 = Dealer Warrnty ECU / KCU replacement .
12/21/21 = New Battery Yusa OEM ECU related damage to Shori.
1/18/22 = Oil / Filter only @ 14,989 miles
2/2/22 = Spark Plugs changed / Valves checked / Coolant changed .
Brake rotors / Pads . All valves in spec . .275mm exhaust x 6
5 x .127 mm 1 x .150mm
Cleaned Throttle bodies / Air filter cleaned / Valves / Pistons decarboned
@ 15,357 miles
3/5/22 = Oil only in California @ 17,591 miles
3/13/22 = Oil / Filter only @ 19,250 miles
4/11/22 = Oil only @ 22,012 miles
5/4/22 = Dealer Throttle body balance @ 22,643 miles
5/21/22 = Rear brake pads @ 23,138 miles
9/25/22 = Oil / Filter / Diff Fluids
All brake rotors upgrade / pads / Tires @ 24,495 miles
9/30/22 = Spark plugs / Airfliter / Fule filter clean / @ 24,570 miles
10/24/22 = Oil only @ 27,527 miles
11/8/22 = Full WP Fork rebuild / Seals / Bushings / Fluid / Repack steering bearings
@ 28,049 miles
12/11/22 = Oil / Filter only @ 29,170 miles .

I just find that BMWs, KTMs, and Triumphs seem to break down more often no matter when service is done.

For example, I've never cleaned a throttle body on a Japanese bike, ever. My current one is coming up on 50k, and my last one had 102k, and the one before it had 40k on it. Not one single problem ever with a throttle body. Heck, I haven't even checked the valves yet on my current one. I should probably get around to that. I've also only changed the diff fluid on my current bike once at 20k miles. She is working like a champ.

Bill considering the number of bikes / brands I service TB cleaning is a benefit to all of them including injector cleaning . It is always a noticeable difference.
For the last 30 plus years its been just one of the Big 4 Japanese branded bikes until 2020 when $8500 off msrp got me to try the Tiger 1200.
I do not regret it . One thing to note it seem the KTM / GS series bikes suffer the most , and also see the most harsh environments / abuse .
The RT / RS series using same engines seem to have less issues . Many of them in the 100,xxx mile ranges are common .

The Big 4 all have had issues to just better dealer networks to get the issues resolved .

My experience with Japanese bikes echos Bill`s. The Japanese bikes seem to be more tolerant of extended or ignored maintenance requirements without needing repairs than other makes.

My experience with Japanese bikes echos Bill`s. The Japanese bikes seem to be more tolerant of extended or ignored maintenance requirements without needing repairs than other makes.
Wasn't it ol' Dinner Rolls Honda ST that we were sure of was on the factory oil something like 10 years after it was bought? :lol2: Granted, Honda ST's are kind of freaks of nature when it comes to how many miles people put on them without much fuss.

And before anyone wants to chime in about my KTM hating... here is my work yesterday after a 4 hour round trip drive to go ride dirt bikes only to have a starter on the Wife's KTM pack it in. No worries though, just kick start it right? Oh yeah, they don't come with those anymore.... I know, we can just push start it! Do you see that little spider looking logo on the clutch slave cylinder? So much for push starting that little thing! :doh:
IMG_3207.jpg

While I won't debate a throttle body cleaning or super short maintenance intervals being better than longer, I will stand by my statements that typically the Japanese bikes just don't need as much TLC as their European counterparts. With a lot of them you can run them like rented mules and they just take a lickin' and keep coming back for more.

Wasn't it ol' Dinner Rolls Honda ST that we were sure of was on the factory oil something like 10 years after it was bought? :lol2: Granted, Honda ST's are kind of freaks of nature when it comes to how many miles people put on them without much fuss.

Could be. I sold my ST1300 with a little over 125K on it. It ran perfect and used no oil. I did 5K oil change intervals with Shell Rotella and cheap car oil filters, and changed the rear differential oil every couple oil changes. I changed the plugs, anti freeze and cleaned the K&N air filter at around 50K and again at 95K.

Other than normal consumables the only hard parts I had to replace were, a fuel pump at 65K, a water pump at 93K, and secondary master cylinder at 113K. Valves were checked once when the water pump was being replaced at the dealer under my extended warranty and were all in still in spec at 93K.

Back