• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Share your Top 5 Places to go eat on a Bike in Texas.

Reaction score
First Name
Jack
I know TWT has a special place to post places to find some good food. But it's a low traffic area. With the Mod's blessing, I would like to hear what you have to say about the places you enjoy riding for a meal.

If any of you know me, you know that my favorite way to spend a day is a nice ride on some winding country roads and a "out of the way" cafe for some lunch. So as I look at 2012, I really want to hear of some places to encourage me to get out and ride. I hope it does the same for you.

If you don't have 5, that's OK. Feel free to share any spot the rest of us might enjoy. If you have trouble narrowing it down to 5, post up your top 5 (or 10) and see if anyone else suggest some of your others.

Please just simply state the name of the cafe and then the city or nearest town to it. You may even want to make a comment on items they excel at, ie desserts, burgers,bbq, or breakfast.

Just so we all know.
-Every place has bad days. So no ones referral is a guarantee of a perfect meal.
-Never hurts to mention any roads in the area that are must rides, or roads to be avoided will be appreciated. We all are aware that roads change over time and construction is hard to predict.
-With the economy sluggish, we all have to be aware the these smaller cafe's change owners and quality of food often. So all readers pleased be advised that just because it was good a year or two ago, it may not be the same way now.

All that being said, I'll kick this off. Here's 5 of my fav's.
In no particular order......

1-Murphy's Steakhouse
Winchester, Tx

2-7th Street Restaurant
Cushing, Tx

3-Sissy's Saddleshop Cafe (1st time was Saturday, amazing little cafe, a must do place for you)
Cameron, Tx

4-Burger Fresh
Montgomery, Tx

5-Horny Toad Bar and Grill (only been there once, very cool place)
Cransfills Gap, Tx

in no particular order of preference or quality of food

1. Coopers(ditto of above) Llano, Junction & Ft Worth, all serve great BBQ

2. Hard-8 Stephenville & the Ft Worth Stockyards, great BBQ

3. The Smokehouse in Lindsey, Great BBQ

4. Rohmers & The Center in Muenster, German food abounds in Muenster w/ locally made sausages

5. H-3 Ranch in the Ft Worth Stockyards, SERIOUS STEAKS (check out the bar furnishings, while you are there)

6. Catfish Haven north of Whitesboro, Catfish(duh) & PIE(29 kinds of PIE)

#6 makes up for 09GraySilverBusa's omission...

shiny side up

My faves in no particular order.

1 - The Stingaree on Boliver Peninsula. Your bike gets to ride a boat if you go from Galveston.

2 - The Spot on Gaveston Island.

3 - The Hard 8 in Stephenville.

4 - Kincaids on Camp Bowie, Ft Worth, TX. http://kincaidshamburgers.com/history.php

5 - Keller's Drive in on Harry Hines in Dallas. Read the reviews before going.

Honorable mention:
Meers Territory in the Wichita Mts. http://www.meersstore.com/

Permian Basin Hamburger Co. Downtown Odessa, TX.

Thumper's Catfish Emporium - Smithville, Texas (seasonal :lol2:)
Alicia's Buritto Place - Alpine, Texas
Jaimes Ranch Mexican - Rusk, Texas (free margaritas after the EastTex 450 sold me)
Sherry's Kitchen - Smithville, Texas (not much of a ride, but I like it)
Stripes Convenience Store - Sonora, Texas (Christmas Day, glad they were open)

In no particular order because it depends on what part of the state you're in or aiming for.

Pirate's Landing - fresh fish and shrimp - Port Isabel

Garcia's Mexican Restaurant - fajitas and enchiladas - Schertz

Friesen Haus - schnitzel, sauerbraten, wurst - New Braunfels

Lone Star Motorcycle Museum - burgers & Australian meat pies - near Vanderpool

Louie's Backyard - seafood buffet and steaks - South Padre Island

Hard 8 in Stephenville
Blue Hangar Cafe north of Ft. Worth
The Center in Meunster
Czech Stop in West

Sorry, I've only got four. One that is on my list but I haven't ridden to yet is Gordough's in Austin.

Great thread! Restaurants are among my favorite riding destinations. My top choices are:

1. Walburg German Restaurant, in Walburg - Sauerbraten, red cabbage & Black Forest cake will keep the hunger pains at bay.

2. Maxine's on Main, Bastrop Texas - a hidden gem. Everything here is good!

3. Joe's Place at Baca's Saloon, Fayetteville - Most folks headed for Fayetteville are in route to Orsaks. My favorite however, is Joe's. The desserts are especially good.

4. Murphy's Steakhouse in Winchester - a standard. Lotsa beef for your buck.

5. Denton County Independent Hamburger - When visiting the chillin' at UNT, a stop here insures we'll be properly nourished for the loooooong ride home. Its located on the courthouse square in Denton.

:rider: :eat: :rider:

Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant... Study Butte
Loco Coyote... Glen Rose
Gristmill... Gruene
Manny's Mexican Restaurant... Dallas
Twisted Root... Roanoke

Picnic at Loves Lookout

An apple & trailmix in a shady spot beside most any nice road any where.

Sandwitch and candy bar overlooking Toledo Bend half way down 9 mile road

What ever I have brought with me or picked up to cook in front of my tent or hammock where ever they are set up.

Snacks passed around the camp fire after a long day riding no matter where that may be.

There's a nice home cooking style cafe on the Square in Franklin, but I can never remember the name. Good food and good prices. Most of the FMs around Franklin are nice rides.

The Citgo out in Shiro on Hwy 30 makes good burgers on their grill. No great street rides in the area but there are some fun county dirt roads in the area.

I really like "Must Be Heaven" in Brenham (or the one in Bryan). They have good food, tons of deserts, and loads of ice cream. The riding is better over by Brenham (FM 390 in particular) than it is by Bryan. Although, if you head out to Caldwell on FM 166, then up to Cameron on 487/1600 and back on 2095, then dirt on CR358/336 to FM 1362 and back to 166 into College Station, that is a fun loop.

The Flynn Feedstore where Hwy 39 and FM 977 cross has great burgers and fries. I went there with you and Phil a long time ago. FM 977 and FM 3 are fun rides!

The Texas Cafe out in Colmesneil has always been really good and they are very biker friendly. Good burgers and catfish. All the FMs between Onalaska and Colmesneil are fun.

There is a place in San Augustine, the name eludes me, just East of US 96 and on the North side of Hwy 21 (actually on the 547 loop I think). Anyway, if you like fried chicken, this place does it right!! On Sundays around noon, the place gets PACKED. We used to stop there on the way back from our weekend trips to Hodges Gardens. There are some REALLY fun FMs in the area: 1277, 1196, 353, 330, 711, and Hwy 21 East to Hwy 103. Most of that was a usual part of my East Texas Butt Burner rides I used to do.

The City Hall Cafe on FM 1791, just South of Hwy 30 on the West side of Huntsville has GREAT burgers. The bacon/cheddar potato wedges are pretty good too. FM 1791 is fun to ride as is FM 149. We do bike night there occasionally. The owners are very bike friendly and even stay open late for us when we call to let them know we are coming.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

My faves in no particular order.

4 - Kincaids on Camp Bowie, Ft Worth, TX. http://kincaidshamburgers.com/history.php

Ahhh, Kincaids a Fort Worth standard. I remember when it was a grocery store with great burgers all the way in the back. Parked the old Triumph in front of that place more than once.

Favorite Ride to Eat - Prause Meat Market, La Grange (get there early)
Best Fried Seafood. - Wild Kitchen, Houston (true hidden gem)
Top Mexican - Mama Choles, Leakey (admitted, I don't ride there often)
Who Needs BBQ Sauce - Gil's BBQ, Ellinger
Fayette County Honorable Mention - JW Steakhouse, Carmine

B&Js 105 Gas and Groceries, 17255 Highway 105, Washington, TX - amazing hamburgers

Kendalia General Store -Kendalia, TX - great burgers - good daily specials - lots of radiator hoses

Smitty's, Lockhart, TX - Excellent shoulder (getting hard to find shoulder) and ribs.

Ranchman's Ponder Cafe, Ponder, TX - amazing chicken fry, great sides - lentils are delicious

Zwolle Tamale Factory, Zwolle, Louisiana - Tamales - The original capitol of Tejas is just 30 miles or so East of here at Los Adaes - all they have in Zwolle is tamales and the lumber mill.

It sounds like we need a geographical RTE database, not that I am volunteering… I know most of these can probably be found on the web, but you would need to know what to look for.
BTW, does anyone know the name of that steak place in Alpine (yeah, I know)? It is a mom & pop located in a small white fronted strip mall a bit off of down town. I only found it while going store to store looking for a travel pillow for camping in BB. I was so turned around that I do not think I could ever find it again. If I knew the name it may make my list. (Longhorn Steak House, Alpine, TX. Maybe a chain.)

Most of my bucket list have already been listed including coopers and murphy's.

Opie's in spicewood is a lot closer than coopers and almost as good (and just as expensive)

Long ride, but if you're out by el paso. This place is way off the beaten path

Cattlemans steakhouse No salad on the menu either.

Some places to check-out...

1. The Grape, Dallas, Classic Cheeseburger
2. Counter Cafe, Austin, Counter Burger
3. Alamo Springs Cafe, Fredericksburg, Cheeseburger (with green chiles on a jalapeno-cheese bun)
4. Toro Burger Bar, El Paso, Toro Burger
5. The Cove, San Antonio, Texas Burger
6. The Porch, Dallas, The Stodg
7. Perini Ranch Steakhouse, Buffalo Gap, Hamburger Steak on a Bun
8. Dutch’s, Fort Worth, Bacon and Bleu Cheese Burger
9. Beck’s Prime, Houston, Bacon Cheeseburger
10. Orlando’s, Lubbock, Cheeseburger in Paradise
11. White Buffalo Bar, Gage Hotel Marathon, Buffalo Burger
12. Cover 3, Austin, Chop-House Burger (with cheese and bacon)
13. Burger Fresh, Conroe, 1/2 Pound Burger
14. Burger Tex II, Austin, Burgogi Burger
15. Twisted Root Burger Co., Dallas, Hamburger
16. Max’s Wine Dive, Austin and Houston, Kobe Beef Burger
17. Love Shack, Fort Worth, Dirty Love Burger
18. Fatty’s Burgers & More, San Antonio, Ref Burger
19. MoMak’s Backyard Malts & Burgers, San Antonio, MoMak Classic Burger
20. Kelly’s Eastside, Plano, Southwestern Burger
21. Big’z Burger Joint, San Antonio, Big’z Famous No. 1
22. Chicken Oil Co., Bryan, Snuffy Burger
23. Cafe Michael Burger, Galveston, Tiki Burger
24. Burgers, Fries and Cherry Pies, Midland, The French Connection Burger
25. Mockingbird Bistro, Houston, American Kobe Beef Burger
26. Parkside, Austin, Cheeseburger
27. Black Sheep Lodge, Austin, Black Buffalo Burger
28. Miss Hattie’s Cafe and Saloon, San Angelo, Miss Hattie Burger
29. Mel’s Country Cafe, Tomball, Double Hamburger
30. Roaring Fork, Austin, Half *** Burger (also in San Antonio)
31. Gene’s Tasty Burger, Wichita Falls, Frisco Burger
32. Cliff Cafe, Dallas, Brie and Granny Smith Burger
33. Bracken Store Cafe, San Antonio, Bean and Frito Burger
34. Sam’s Deli Diner, Houston, Hamburger
35. Dry Creek Cafe, Houston, The Regular (with asadero cheese)
36. Hamburger Store, Jefferson, Build-Your-Own Burger
37. Mighty Fine, Austin, Hamburger
38. Roadhouse, Bastrop, Jalapeno Cream Cheese Burger
39. Lankford Grocery and Market, Houston, Old-Fashioned Hamburger
40. Classics Burgers and “Moore,” Kerrville, Cheeseburger
41. Koffee Kup Family Restaurant, Hico, Jalapeno Cream Cheese Burger
42. Hruska’s Store and Bakery, Ellinger, Cheeseburger
43. Rosco’s Burger Inn, El Paso, Rosco Burger
44. Port Aransas Brewing Company, Port Aransas, Stopher Burger
45. Goode Company Hamburgers and Taqueria, Houston, Mesquite Burger
46. Snuffer’s Restaurant and Bar, Dallas, Green Chile Swissburger
47. Fred’s Texas Cafe, Fort Worth, Diablo Burger
48. Speedy’s Burger, Houston, Hamburguesa Mexicana
49. Gourmet Burger Grill, San Antonio, Hamburger
50. Jakes, Dallas, #1 Jakes Special

grub.gif

Sorry GravelKLR, no McDonald's in this list. :rofl:

RB

Cooper's in Llano
Muellers BBQ in Taylor
Walburg Restaurant
Clear Springs Catfish outside of New Braunsfuls
Downtown Cafe in Thorndale.....'cause it's close, good food, and Louis the owner is a good neighbor.....

Maxine's in Bastrop is good!

:sun:

1) LOCO COYOTE, Glenrose
2) Franklin's BBQ Austin(DEVINE QUE!!!!but long waits!)
3) Cicle V BBQ GoldWaithe
4) Zapata's MEridian for breakfast
5) would have been Cathy's in BigBend

Blanco Bowling Alley. Great pie and the gateway to the Hill Country

Ming's Cafe on the Drag in Austin

Hill Top Cafe outside Fredericksburg

Harry's on the Willow City loop. (Not sure if this is still open)

Snow's BBQ in Lexington, TX. Some good backroads out that way, but get there early.

Back