• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Share your Top 5 Places to go eat on a Bike in Texas.

Blanco Bowling Alley. Great pie and the gateway to the Hill Country

One anecdotal data point: Went there once, service was slow, breakfast was ordinary, didn't have the pie but that did look promising.

I prefer the Sunset restaurant in Blanco, especially for breakfast.

BTW, does anyone know the name of that steak place in Alpine (yeah, I know)? It is a mom & pop located in a small white fronted strip mall a bit off of down town. I only found it while going store to store looking for a travel pillow for camping in BB. I was so turned around that I do not think I could ever find it again. If I knew the name it may make my list. (Longhorn Steak House, Alpine, TX. Maybe a chain.)

I'll confirm that's the Longhorn Steak House. Not a chain that I know of. Been there forever.

There's a nice home cooking style cafe on the Square in Franklin, but I can never remember the name. Good food and good prices. Most of the FMs around Franklin are nice rides.

The Horseshoe Cafe?

The Citgo out in Shiro on Hwy 30 makes good burgers on their grill. No great street rides in the area but there are some fun county dirt roads in the area.

I really like "Must Be Heaven" in Brenham (or the one in Bryan). They have good food, tons of deserts, and loads of ice cream. The riding is better over by Brenham (FM 390 in particular) than it is by Bryan. Although, if you head out to Caldwell on FM 166, then up to Cameron on 487/1600 and back on 2095, then dirt on CR358/336 to FM 1362 and back to 166 into College Station, that is a fun loop.

The Flynn Feedstore where Hwy 39 and FM 977 cross has great burgers and fries. I went there with you and Phil a long time ago. FM 977 and FM 3 are fun rides!

The Flynn Store makes a killer burger.

The Texas Cafe out in Colmesneil has always been really good and they are very biker friendly. Good burgers and catfish. All the FMs between Onalaska and Colmesneil are fun.

The Texas Star I think is it's full name. Never had a bad meal there. Last I was there they said something about it being for sale, not sure how that story ends.

There is a place in San Augustine, the name eludes me, just East of US 96 and on the North side of Hwy 21 (actually on the 547 loop I think). Anyway, if you like fried chicken, this place does it right!! On Sundays around noon, the place gets PACKED. We used to stop there on the way back from our weekend trips to Hodges Gardens. There are some REALLY fun FMs in the area: 1277, 1196, 353, 330, 711, and Hwy 21 East to Hwy 103. Most of that was a usual part of my East Texas Butt Burner rides I used to do

The Byrd House, owned by the Byrd's of course. I work with a relative of theirs. One of my favorite places to take a break and eat when up that way. Some great roads up there too. The only down of the Byrd House is that 95% of the food only comes fried. The grease is always clean and the food is great, but fried food is their specialty.

The City Hall on 1791 also does a good breakfast.

I also want to add another one of my favs, the Southern Flyer at the Brenham Airport. Love that place.

If you like good food, checking out airplanes, old style malts, and all served by cute young ladies in poodle skirts you'll really enjoy the Southern Flyer. Put it on your to do list for sure.

ps, you never know what will be in the parking lot either. (click to enlarge)

th_P1100262.jpg

th_P1100272.jpg

One anecdotal data point: Went there once, service was slow, breakfast was ordinary, didn't have the pie but that did look promising.

Unfortunately, Sunset closed. Another one popped up across the street from the plaza... Red something. They have a killer Rueben.

I completely agree about the slow service and average grub, but the pie is good.

That said, I just like the place as far as atmosphere. A real old fashioned cafe / dive. A unique piece of Texas history compared to the sameness of everywhere else. How many places can you eat in a counter cafe where they still set 9 pins by hand each night? That and getting there is a great ride and is a a good place to stretch the legs for longer journeys.

I don't really have a 5 favorites. It kind of depends on what I'm in the mood for. Here are some that I like though.

Frenkie's on the square in Hillisboro (Italian)
Delia's in Mt Pleasant (Savardorian)
Eve's on the square in Lampasas (German)
Hiway 77 Cafe in Rosebud (Home Cooking)
East Texas Burger Company in Mineola
Tele's in Rhonesboro (Mexican)
Dinner Bell in Van (Home Cooking)
Roma's in Durant. OK (Italian)

I too like the Alamo Springs in Fred'berg. On Thursday's I like the Rueben at Billy's on Burnet in Austin.:eat:
Tom

Fred, be nice....I don't eat at Mc D's..........

Phew!...I am glad to know you don't. Try organic, grass-fed beef hamburgers....mmm!

With regards to Cooper...it is OK if you go on the weekends when they have a high-turnover in the meat items. However, their pork loin stands above the rest. Brisket is hard to get wrong but pork is quite tempemental and easily gets dried out.

Monument Cafe in Georgetown has a tremendous breakfast menu.

Keep on Truckin'

RB

Would have been
Kathy's Kosmic - Study Butte
Loco Coyote- Glen Rose
Mary's- Strawn
King Burger- Rock Springs
Lowake Steakhouse- Lowake

I'll just leave it at that. Never once have I had anything other than great food at those spots. Every place else has let me down at least once.

I mourn the demise of Kathy's.

O.K. Got a number 5.
Castell General Store- Castell

Atmosphere counts for a lot and this place has it in spades. You can find something you like, but it probably won't be the brisket.

O.K. Got a number 5.
Castell General Store- Castell
Atmosphere counts for a lot and this place has it in spades. You can find something you like, but it probably won't be the brisket.

Yea...about 4 years ago you could watch a dancing cock called "Cockaroo" at the local store in Castell.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHM3NIozCwg"]Cockaroo: Castell, Texas - YouTube[/ame]

Funny....

RB

I know some of you are holding out on posting. This is great intel for the rest of us, so come on and keep tossing your favorites out there.

Don't be afraid to tell us about great spots that are near home. It does have to be far from home to get a plug.

I have a spreadsheet of my RTE places. I may have to learn how to make a map so we can have an easy way to see where the scouted cafes are.

I'll share a couple more.

Elijah's in Kirbyville

Trinity Cafe, Trinity

Waverly House, New Waverly

The Fish Pond, New Waverly

#1: Cat City Grill, Fort Worth (lunch is the only way to fly here, much cheaper than dinner)

#2: Cabo Bob's, Austin (not for lunch as they are packed)

#3: Red Lion, Houston (for when I have to get me some bangers and mash)

#4: Torchy's Tacos, Austin (breakfast of champions, but darn good lunch too)

#5: Prince Lebanese, Arlington (gots to have me some hummus)

Dang, I might get booted off the forum. My top five didn't include one burger or BBQ joint.:lol2:

I know it's already been listed but

Smittys BBQ in Lockhart, Texas. It may not be the best but the ribs and fat brisket are good, and the experience is something else. Me and my father ate there when we went back for one final deer/hog hunt before deer season was over. Remind me next time before I already have my sweet tea to grab a big red in the glass. lol!

Angleton Ice house in Angleton, TX. They have one of the best cheeseburgers you will find if you're alright with going into an ice house. I do believe they were listed in Ride Texas Magazine, and it's a fairly common stop for most guys on bikes. No drinking and riding of course!

This is all I have to list. Sorry guys.

Hmmm... far away... I really like Poker Alice's in Lake City, Co. I have taken large groups there several times and never once had a complaint and typically got nothing but positive feedback from group members.

There is also the Tic Toc Diner in Lake City that is really good.

OST in Bandera for breakfast......Love Creek in Medina for burgers.......Rileys in Blanco for Q........The Bluebell for pie and Rudys in Leon Springs for Q and cream corn. The biking is bland but on the coast the seafood in Rockport-Fulton isn't.

:tab Drifter's BBQ right here in Huntsville. It is at the intersection of FM 247/980 on the North side of town. It it a smoker pit next to a kitchen shack with some covered picnic tables out front. I have their chopped beef sandwich for lunch at least twice a week. Their ribs are good and so is their chicken. She also will cook custom ordered pies and does catering, even for groups up to five or six thousand people!! :eek2:

Another place that I have been to a few times is Pelican's Landing Waterfront Restaurant at Cedar Mills Marina on Lake Texoma North of Gordonville. A little pricey but the food and view are good. If you get one of their Burgers try the cole slaw as a side instead of fries.

http://cedarmills.com/pelicansLanding.htm

Back