• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SHNF Trail Status

This is over of the biggest reasons u can't bring myself to buy a dirt bike. The trails are almost always closed. To the point they might as well not exist. They're open, what, a dozen weekends a year? Maybe? So much for it being public land.
And even if it was open 24/7/365 many wouldn't even go a dozen times a year. Most once or twice. I'm with Rob, go on a weekday. Plenty more "trails open" opportunities doing that. Waiting for the elusive weekends when trails are open will have the trailheads packed and too much traffic anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

And even if it was open 24/7/365 many wouldn't even go a dozen times a year. Most once or twice. I'm with Rob, go on a weekday. Plenty more "trails open" opportunities doing that. Waiting for the elusive weekends when trails are open will have the trailheads packed and too much traffic anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
I have this horrible J O B thing that makes me W O R K during the week... So do most folks. Hence the weekend getting busy.

Ok so the website says open except Kelly’s pond and the toilets- is this correct oh local omes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so the website says open except Kelly’s pond and the toilets- is this correct oh local omes?

I didn't know that, see what I can find out before you drive. Stay tuned.

Recording says closed due to Covid 19.

It is, if the trail looks like Kelly's Pond/West Side...they need time to recover.

Pictures this morning, gate closed, still wet in places. Somehow!

Last edited:
I went by all the trail heads yesterday while out riding. There were a lot of people out camping. I did see the Ranger as well. It was MUCH busier than I have seen it on previous rides. I also saw lot of people with dirt bikes on trailers and in trucks that apparently did not check before heading out. ALL of the trailheads were closed.

Forest service still pretty much shut down although word was that the Ranger was writing tickets Saturday. Might be true as I rode some dirt roads Sunday and saw NO one doing anything illegal, pretty much saw no one. And now looks like a week of more rain. Faceslappers going wild I imagine. And I would guess lots of new downed trees. Might be a while.

Thanks gents,
Louisiana was open, albeit not without misinformation, but we persevered. Sandstone Kisatchie national forest was awesome. 2nd time to ride there since it closes for the first 4 months of every year, a
few Atv’s and side x sides otherwise all aloner. Some water in the low crossings and run off hills, chewed up by the above but no biggie.
Rain held off til we were driving off!

Update on Cagle Campground - Campground areas remain closed, boat ramp is open.

The trailheads had opened back up before this weeks monsoon. Maybe open again soon.

Trails are now OPEN! You don't have to be like this guy and sneak inSunday when they were still closed! lol

Still open as far as y’all know? I’m going to look on the website and call today, but which are actually open? Tks

Still open as far as y’all know? I’m going to look on the website and call today, but which are actually open? Tks

All trails are open as of today.
(888) 361-6908 option 2 for status

I spent most of Wednesday on them riding with a buddy. They are definitely open.

Last edited:
Trails were awesome yesterday after a quick shower, some face slappers and not too crowded. It was HOT

Back