• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SHNF Trail Status

I'm surprised we never saw ya'll ^^^
My buddy and I rode woodpecker last Friday morning and then headed on 'Big loop" I think. There was a big *** log across the trail that made the ride interesting. Once we got my 1090R over it, the 1290 was next. Made for a good 5 mins of strenuous fun after already riding about 2 hrs in the 95+ deg heat. Met some brit's on a pair of Gas Gas 500's that were just learning to ride off-road.
Most people with the big bikes are not up for the single track so it's good to hear that not everyone on this site only rides em to the Starbucks :)

There is a good chance that myself and Walter (1290SAR) will be riding the trails again this week. Tomorrow morning, or Thursday morning if any big bikes want to join up.
The one just before the hiway? No problem on my dirt bike, little struggle with the 790 on Friday. I steered clear Saturday on the 850. Dude on 990 must have made it by himself. He was gone when I came from other side. I don't have proper tires,sand is a challenge. I think 2 of us will be out tomorrow. Probably start on zebra, see how it goes.

The one just before the hiway? No problem on my dirt bike, little struggle with the 790 on Friday. I steered clear Saturday on the 850. Dude on 990 must have made it by himself. He was gone when I came from other side. I don't have proper tires,sand is a challenge. I think 2 of us will be out tomorrow. Probably start on zebra, see how it goes.

I just realized that it was Thursday morning when we rode, not Friday. No wonder I didn't see any big bikes. lol
Walter and I will hit them this afternoon around 1300ish. Probably start at KP and see how it goes.

Well stubborn old man learned a couple of things today!
1-don't go on single track when wet alone.
2-don't go on single track with 80/20 tires on a 500# bike alone or with someone, lol.

I didn't know it had rained, forest roads were packed no dust but just fine. I headed down the trail, I knew then, stop! But noooo, press on. The first mile or so is an easy downhill slope with erosion bumps. A little twitchy but it was ok, I was thinking, hope I don't have to come up this. It's not steep, hardly noticeable but on my tires and greasy, would be a challenge. Got to the lower section, couple of mud holes, hmmm, this is not going good. Then..a real mud hole, too deep for this beast on these tires to go through. On my dirt bike I could skirt the edge and not even get muddy, but this thing would slip in for sure. Plus remember, I'm on single track, packed tires and need to turn this beast around with almost zero traction for my boots. I had seen a possible bail out a 100 yards back. Walked back to check it out. Nice grassy 2 track just barely used. Probably by the volunteers getting equipment in. So go fight the beast to I get it sort of turned around and bust through the brush. Progress! Get on the 2 track, even a little wet this was fun! Then a downed tree, what! Notice somebody had took an atv around the end, off I go, success again! Hopping along, it goes back on the trail, I don't want the trail, lol. But at least I was past some of the bad spots. The problem here is, I'm on trail they've been working, so not much base and red clay, slick! But just a little ways up the 2 track picks up, good. Go 300 yards, can see my road, yea, except there's a forest service bar gate with with wire on both sides. I stop surveying, then notice, no lock on the gate! Freedom, open, get out, close, I'm going home!!

I didn't know it had rained, forest roads were packed no dust but just fine. I headed down the trail, I knew then, stop! But noooo, press on. The first mile or so is an easy downhill slope with erosion bumps. A little twitchy but it was ok, I was thinking, hope I don't have to come up this. It's not steep, hardly noticeable but on my tires and greasy, would be a challenge. Got to the lower section, couple of mud holes, hmmm, this is not going good. Then..a real mud hole, too deep for this beast on these tires to go through. On my dirt bike I could skirt the edge and not even get muddy, but this thing would slip in for sure. Plus remember, I'm on single track, packed tires and need to turn this beast around with almost zero traction for my boots. I had seen a possible bail out a 100 yards back. Walked back to check it out. Nice grassy 2 track just barely used. Probably by the volunteers getting equipment in. So go fight the beast to I get it sort of turned around and bust through the brush. Progress! Get on the 2 track, even a little wet this was fun! Then a downed tree, what! Notice somebody had took an atv around the end, off I go, success again! Hopping along, it goes back on the trail, I don't want the trail, lol. But at least I was past some of the bad spots. The problem here is, I'm on trail they've been working, so not much base and red clay, slick! But just a little ways up the 2 track picks up, good. Go 300 yards, can see my road, yea, except there's a forest service bar gate with with wire on both sides. I stop surveying, then notice, no lock on the gate! Freedom, open, get out, close, I'm going home!!
Sounds like it was a **** of a day! Took the 850 out? Let me know if you want to go again Friday......even to hit the forest service roads. Although I know this rain is hanging around all week......

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Sounds like it was a **** of a day! Took the 850 out? Let me know if you want to go again Friday......even to hit the forest service roads. Although I know this rain is hanging around all week......

I'll be working Friday. but soon. and yes, 850.

Tried again today, they are better but some areas still too slick for my tires. Perfect for a dirt bike ride if you're off!!

Rode the big bikes last evening from Kelly's pond trailhead. Took woodpecker to big loop then back to woodpecker, then rode that to 208 trailhead. Was pretty dark by the time we got to the finish at 208 TH. I'm running the stock TKC 80 front w/Kenda big block rear on my 1090R and I think Walter has the stock front (tkc 80) and a tractionator adv tire on the rear of his 1290SAR. Traction was not an issue at all. It basically drizzled the whole ride and really my only concern was being able to see the wet roots when the sun went down. The sand was nice and wet so that actually makes it easier imo.

Sweet, I may go give her a go tomorrow morning.

Sweet, I may go give her a go tomorrow morning.

Hmm. If you want company I might be down for some more single track. What time are you thinking of going.? I might be able to convince my neighbor with the 1290SAR too.

Hmm. If you want company I might be down for some more single track. What time are you thinking of going.? I might be able to convince my neighbor with the 1290SAR too.
Probably get there around 8:30 in the morning.

If it doesn't rain too hard tonight, myself and Walter will be at Kelly's Pond trail head @0830 hrs. 1090R and a 1290SAR.

You have a 790?

Rob

Yes, I'll send you a PM when I head out. It's about an hour and half drive up there for me.

Yes, I'll send you a PM when I head out. It's about an hour and half drive up there for me.

Ok sounds good. See you there. The three of us can do the woodpecker/big loop/woodpecker to 208 trailhead. Challenging but not too hard

Well, I thought I posted last night......

Kelly's pond was a sticky, muddy mess. We had to dig the bikes out, and I had to remove my front fender. And it wasn't just cause of the ADVs, the dirt bike boys had to turn around it was so nasty. Once out, we knocked off to service roads and eventually ended up on the east side. Hit up Sandy, and Luna? Not sure Luna is the right name, but it was freshly groom by the bobcat. Was a solid day, and east side has a lot less sand, made it much more enjoyable.
b2707225062a45f97f747fe0735f2daf.jpg
51cd4c58a17b75d659f06aa16ae06733.jpg
b99dfa0e56acf4152f80668dc1a617e7.jpg

That part of Woodpecker is hedious when wet. Slicker than ice. Probably were on Zebra or Fern, plus Sandy. East side is very sandy in spots, just the little rain we had packed it down.

Fern was the name! But east side was where it was at yesterday.

Wow reading all about these adventure bike stories up in the forest is crazy... here’s another one for you all.
last Friday morning I pull up to the Eastside trail head. There’s a guy picking up a beautiful brand new Moto Guzzi Laying on the ground. I offered to help and he says no I’m practicing Picking up my bike. About an hour later we headed out one of the trails goings towards 1375. We come across the guy on the Moto Guzzi resting on a bridge. I ask if he’s OK he says just resting. Me and my buddy right ahead. Lucky for Mr. Guzzi Our third rider asked if he had water and saw signs of heat exhaustion and dehydration. He immediately took him back down the mile to the truck to nurse him back with water. We finally turn around once we notice our buddy was not coming to find them at the cars and Mr. Guzzi was nearly passed In front of the fan..... he learned a very valuable lesson that day. If it was not for our buddy there is no doubt this guy would’ve not been found until the next day.

Attachments

• D4E5DB20-28C0-4487-86CC-5AB1FFAEEA50.jpeg
    D4E5DB20-28C0-4487-86CC-5AB1FFAEEA50.jpeg
    665.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 362D6F14-DA99-4E25-A935-B1EDC99EFB96.jpeg
    362D6F14-DA99-4E25-A935-B1EDC99EFB96.jpeg
    743.5 KB · Views: 185
How did Thursday go?

It was a muddy mess lol. You can see from Texas_ADV 's pictures how sticky the mud was. Once we got our bikes turned around on the trail, it became a leapfrog game. The 3 guys that went by us on the little bikes made it about 2-300 hundred yards past were I stopped. We could hear the struggles and cussing (lol) as the made their way back. Everybody pitched in and we got our bikes back to the FR. Walters 160hp beast was a mud throwing monster and made me laugh with how far it was chucking the mud once we could get going again. A rough start, but a fun ride later.

Wow reading all about these adventure bike stories up in the forest is crazy... here’s another one for you all.
last Friday morning I pull up to the Eastside trail head. There’s a guy picking up a beautiful brand new Moto Guzzi Laying on the ground. I offered to help and he says no I’m practicing Picking up my bike. About an hour later we headed out one of the trails goings towards 1375. We come across the guy on the Moto Guzzi resting on a bridge. I ask if he’s OK he says just resting. Me and my buddy right ahead. Lucky for Mr. Guzzi Our third rider asked if he had water and saw signs of heat exhaustion and dehydration. He immediately took him back down the mile to the truck to nurse him back with water. We finally turn around once we notice our buddy was not coming to find them at the cars and Mr. Guzzi was nearly passed In front of the fan..... he learned a very valuable lesson that day. If it was not for our buddy there is no doubt this guy would’ve not been found until the next day.
Glad your buddy was persistent. Thanks!

Guzzi man really needs different tires for the trails.

Good to see some people giving the east side some love. Was always difficult to get a group to NOT start at Kelly's Pond. Only reason to consistently go to KP is if you camp. Lots of people forgetting that the east side has good trails too. Gotta keep the paths beaten down also because if they grow over, there's risk of them getting shut down rather than remedied.

Back