• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Shooting babies

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Seery
My sister-in-law asked me to shoot her two kiddos so I swiped dad's D90 and flash and set to work.

Overall, I wasn't happy with the coloring, turned out pretty red.
A bit of time tweaking WB in LightRoom helped a lot.
I'll have to spend more time in the future setting up the camera to, hopefully, negate that bit of post work.

Here's a couple samples of my favorites.

31-Landon%25252BBrianna.jpg

48-Landon%25252BBrianna.jpg

maybe "Hold her head" isn't the best thing to tell a 2 year-old...
40-Landon%25252BBrianna.jpg

No kiddies were harmed in the making of these photos :lol2:

Any comments/suggestions/etc welcome.

very cute, but I wasn't sure what to think when I read the title :rofl:

As you learned, it isn't easy! :giveup: I have a 1 year old daughter and have about 3 pictures of her that I'm really happy with. I think I figued out most of my problem was shooting at a shutter speed that was too slow. Doesn't look like you had that problem though, they seem pretty sharp to me.

Very cute kiddos BTW!

As you learned, it isn't easy! :giveup: I have a 1 year old daughter and have about 3 pictures of her that I'm really happy with. I think I figued out most of my problem was shooting at a shutter speed that was too slow. Doesn't look like you had that problem though, they seem pretty sharp to me.

Very cute kiddos BTW!
Well, where is my Grandaughter!

I like shooting babies! The trick is to find their "good mood times". Then shoot as often as possible, take a million-gazillion shots, and use every camera mode. Advances in digital photography has made this task "easy".

figured the title woukd get some comments :lol2:

sadly ,i only got about 60 frames.mom was getting tired of dealing with them.
i had the camera in auto mode si i cant take credit for the fast shutter. looks like it was at 1/60 for most of them. still blurred a few!

I think #1 is the best shot of the three. Maybe a bit tad on the 'warm' side for WB? And #3 for me and my monitor appears the best on WB.

What was the light source camera right in #1?

And where are the catch lights in the eyes of #1 coming from? They're great!

Very nice. With that much red clothing, I suspect it's just going to look a little warmer than usual.

I think #1 is the best shot of the three. Maybe a bit tad on the 'warm' side for WB? And #3 for me and my monitor appears the best on WB.

What was the light source camera right in #1?

And where are the catch lights in the eyes of #1 coming from? They're great!

WB was set to auto. didn't take the time to set it since the kiddies were getting tired of sitting still.
Light source was a west-facing window.

eye lights are probably from the flash. (Nikon SB600) Had the diffuser in place to knock some harshness.

Man, I can only imagine how dangerous I would have been with today's digital when Jamy was a tiny baby! Back then digital was in the 2MP range. I have a few in the computer taken with a Kodak DC265 that I took home pretty often for "work related projects". ;-) But the stuff we can do today makes those look like I drew them using a post-it note.

Man, I can only imagine how dangerous I would have been with today's digital when Jamy was a tiny baby! Back then digital was in the 2MP range. I have a few in the computer taken with a Kodak DC265 that I took home pretty often for "work related projects". ;-) But the stuff we can do today makes those look like I drew them using a post-it note.

:lol2:

I just wish I was this into photography before my daughter was born. :doh: I'm contemplating have another child, just so I can take some newborn pictures. :eek2:

I'm contemplating have another child, just so I can take some newborn pictures. :eek2:

Coming from one who has no kids, that sounds like an awfully expensive proposition! :lol2:

But think back... what did everyone do before digital? It was that rolled plastic stuff called FILM! (which is equivalent to about 24-36MP if I recall right)

We're still quite a ways from matching the same resolution of actual film.
The large-format sensors are better, but still lack the resolution.

I'd love a D700, but they're out of my price range

We're still quite a ways from matching the same resolution of actual film.
The large-format sensors are better, but still lack the resolution.

I'd love a D700, but they're out of my price range

Just pick up a Leaf DM80 80mp....only $32,000

Coming from one who has no kids, that sounds like an awfully expensive proposition! :lol2:

But think back... what did everyone do before digital? It was that rolled plastic stuff called FILM! (which is equivalent to about 24-36MP if I recall right)

Contemplating over... not gonna happen. (for now)

I'm certainly not a purist. I didn't have much interest in film. Too much work and constant costs. :mrgreen:

Contemplating over... not gonna happen. (for now)

I'm certainly not a purist. I didn't have much interest in film. Too much work and constant costs. :mrgreen:

film or babies? (OK, both):lol2:

Back