• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Shop Amazon and help support TWT -- No Longer Available

The new banner should be displaying now.

Version 6

attachment.php

http://www.twtex.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28929&stc=1&d=1386007318

Looks great. Thanks for doing that.

I just used the link to purchase a Margaritaville machine, but after seeing what does not qualify, I wonder if this falls into the alcoholic products section. Anywho, I tried.

I use Amazon pretty often, myself, but had never heard of the affiliate program until I saw an article today about New York using is as an excuse to claim an "in-state" presence to justify sales tax.

That said, happy to shave a percentage for the cause, here.

:clap:

One of the podcast shows i listen to just got into trouble with Amazon. On their web site they have a "Support the Show" section where they have a list of llinks. One of the links was to Amazon with their affiliate tag. Amazon contacted them and said it violates their Terms of Service because the affiliate program isn't a fund raising program.

They were contacted 3 months ago by Amazon who said that their affilliate account would be reviewed. Amazon recently came back and indefinitely suspended their account. In addition, they are witholding the revenue generated by the link for the last 3 months while the account was under review.

I highly recommend a strategy change in your current campaign for generating revenue from your Amazon affiliate account.

I highly recommend a strategy change in your current campaign for generating revenue from your Amazon affiliate account.

Or perhaps Scott should not just not take a he said I heard, they did something on a mostly anonymous podcast :-D as a call to action, panic, change everything.. type deal.

Always three sides to every "story" One side, the other side, and the truth somewhere in between. :giveup:

Good advice though, read through the terms of service agreement provided. Play the game in accordance to the rules, or abandon the program.
https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/associates/agreement/

https://affiliate-program.amazon.co...nter-1&pf_rd_t=501&ref_=amb_link_353005802_11

Last edited:
One of the podcast shows i listen to just got into trouble with Amazon. On their web site they have a "Support the Show" section where they have a list of llinks. One of the links was to Amazon with their affiliate tag. Amazon contacted them and said it violates their Terms of Service because the affiliate program isn't a fund raising program.

They were contacted 3 months ago by Amazon who said that their affilliate account would be reviewed. Amazon recently came back and indefinitely suspended their account. In addition, they are witholding the revenue generated by the link for the last 3 months while the account was under review.

:tab I think this is a real grey area in the TOS. I see TONS of sites that promote their affiliation as a means to support the site. Nonetheless, I will check it more closely.

Or perhaps Scott should not just not take a he said I heard, they did something on a mostly anonymous podcast :-D as a call to action, panic, change everything.. type deal.

Always three sides to every "story" One side, the other side, and the truth somewhere in between. :giveup:

Good advice though, read through the terms of service agreement provided. Play the game in accordance to the rules, or abandon the program.
https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/associates/agreement/

https://affiliate-program.amazon.co...nter-1&pf_rd_t=501&ref_=amb_link_353005802_11

Here is the only thing I see that might be a problem,

10. Identifying Yourself as an Associate
You will not issue any press release or make any other public communication with respect to this Operating Agreement, your use of the Content, or your participation in the Program. You will not misrepresent or embellish the relationship between us and you (including by expressing or implying that we support, sponsor, endorse, or contribute to any charity or other cause), or express or imply any relationship or affiliation between us and you or any other person or entity except as expressly permitted by this Operating Agreement. You must, however, clearly state the following on your site: “[Insert your name] is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to [insert the applicable site name (amazon.com, amazonsupply.com, or myhabit.com)].”

:tab I guess it comes down to what constitutes a "public communication". This is a private forum which is open to the public. I am not spamming any other websites or sending out emails to people. I am not promoting this anywhere else other than here on TWT. If I include banners that link to specific products, it is REAL obvious that I am now partnered with Amazon for advertising revenue. My reading of Section 10 is that they are concerned about misrepresentation of the nature of the relationship between Amazon and the affiliates. I think I am making that very clear, especially since the only banner I am currently running links directly here,

http://www.twtex.com/index.php?page=amazon

:tab To be safe, I will contact them and ask for clarification.

This is from their help page,

How may I identify myself as an Amazon Associate in my communications with others?
You may not issue a press release of any nature that references the Amazon Associates Program. In any communication that is not a press release, you may describe yourself as a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. Your communications must clearly and accurately describe the nature of your participation in the program, and must not misrepresent or create confusion as to the nature of your or any other party's participation in the program. You may, without our prior consent, say that you have become an Amazon Associate, or that you have joined or become a member of the Amazon Associates Program. In addition, you may describe the Amazon Associates Program as "the leading selling program on the Internet, with hundreds of thousands of members."

:tab I think that pretty well covers what I have been doing.

He's the information if you'd like to review it. At least you'll have one side of the story.

Podcast:
Jupiter Broadcasting - Linux Action Show
It is episode "Linux Mint 16 Review | LAS s29e09" from December 1, 2013. The relevant material starts at 37:00 minutes (and change).

Reddit:
Linux Action Show
This was started by a user on the Linux Action Show Reddit, but the hosts of the show do respond in the thread.

After checking these out, try to find the offending hyperlink. Then compare their offense to what is occuring on this site.

I just used the link to purchase a Margaritaville machine, but after seeing what does not qualify, I wonder if this falls into the alcoholic products section. Anywho, I tried.

It worked! :thumb:

Too funny... as I was reading this thread my doorbell rang and I heard a thud outside the door. When I answered it, it was my Battery Tender that I had ordered last week (and arrived one day early). It was actually cheaper to buy it through Amazon than to buy it at work and get my discount.

Too funny... as I was reading this thread my doorbell rang and I heard a thud outside the door. When I answered it, it was my Battery Tender that I had ordered last week (and arrived one day early). It was actually cheaper to buy it through Amazon than to buy it at work and get my discount.

:tab We signed up for the PRIME thing about a year ago and love it. The free two day shipping on most items is great. But what we really like is the streaming movies and TV shows. The kids LOVE watching all the episodes of "How It's Made", "Modern Marvels", and other similar shows. I like that there are no commercials and we can stop the show as needed to discuss things they don't understand. We home school and they don't think of it as "school work", but they are learning a LOT from these shows and our discussions. Beth and I have been watching "Cheers" and "Frasier" each night after the kids go to bed.

I did a battery charger and a mount for a drift camera. And a couple of Kindle books. I have a Prime membership also. I've set up my link so it all goes to you.

:tab Well, I know I should have started this WAY earlier than a few weeks ago, but it has already generated a few hundred dollars in commissions. It is not a huge amount, and I am sure it will taper after the holiday shopping spree ends, but the way things have been going the last year or so, even that really helps.

:tab The forum Mod that coverts posted amazon links to links with the needed associate ID tagged onto the links is not working for some reason. Once I get that sorted out with the guy that wrote the Mod, I hope to maybe setup a forum section for product reviews with links to the products. It would be for products that we use for riding, camping, photography, etc,... It really is amazing how much stuff is available on Amazon. You can even enter what kind of bike you have and it will look for matching products :thumb:

Back