• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Shop Amazon and help support TWT

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab Well, for several years I have been meaning to sign up for the Amazon Affiliates program as a means of trying to generate a bit of income from the forum in an unobtrusive manner for the users. All a user has to do is enter the Amazon site using this link,

http://www.amazon.com/?tag=twowhetex-20

and then start shopping. For items that qualify, TWT will receive a small percentage.

:tab If you leave the site before adding anything to your cart, the identifier that connects you with TWT will last for 24 hours or until you enter the site using someone else's link. If you add items to your cart, the identifier is supposed to last 30 days. Regardless, you can always just reenter Amazon using the link above. If you bookmark it, you won't even have to come here looking for it. You can also find the link using the "Support TWT" drop down menu on the Navbar at the top of any page on the site.

:tab If someone puts a link to an Amazon product in a post, that link automatically gets the TWT identifier tagged to it.

:tab I won't be putting up any extra banners other than what we already have up on the site.

:tab I have no clue how much this might make for the site. However, it doesn't really cost anything for me to set it up. What I really like is that it allows users to support the site without having to worry about using Paypal (which some folks don't like) or trying to mail checks. The only downside side is that I have no way to connect this kind of support with the users to set them up as Forum Supporters. That will still be connected to direct donations to the site. The other thing I like is that I don't have to put ads all over the place in threads, between posts, etc,... like many sites do with programs like Google's Adsense.

:tab I might eventually get around to creating an Amazon subforum where folks can post about specific products like motorcycle gear, tires, camping equipment, cameras, food, etc,...

:tab Anyway, if you plan to do some holiday shopping on Amazon, please consider this as a way to helping TWT and let me know what you think.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Saved.
I shop Amazon once a week or so.....
Awesome. Thanks!!

Unfortunately, I can't get credit on my own purchases... I would have cashed in yesterday as I did my Christmas shopping (new home theater setup, TV and everything...)

Last edited:

kurt

Admin
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Brown
Shortcut updated. You are going to be rich! You really should have done this a week ago. :doh:

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Shortcut updated. You are going to be rich! You really should have done this a week ago. :doh:
Nah... I should have done it YEARS ago :-P Amazon has had this affiliate program since 1996! Have I mentioned that I have a serious procrastination problem...? :doh:

First Name
Buddy
Last Name
Slover
I use Amazon a few times each month I will be glad to click through to help TWT, I wonder if it also works on my purchases at Audible it is an Amazon owned company

Folks, make sure you have "cookies" enabled in your browsers for this to work. They should be on by default, but some folks turn them off. That's how things get tracked.

Also, Scott you may have the option to have the cookies work for longer that the times you stated above. Amazon may set them to a certain range, but longer times are possible. I used to have a dietary supplement website, and used the Amazon affiliate program, but it's been a few years.

First Name
Tom
Last Name
Hancock
El Fenix. lol. I don't even know what those words mean. I do almost everything from my phone. Do I have "cookies"? Do I have to do anything other than enter through Scott's link?

El Fenix. lol. I don't even know what those words mean. I do almost everything from my phone. Do I have "cookies"? Do I have to do anything other than enter through Scott's link?
If you are using a "full mobile browser" like Opera, Safari, or Chrome on your smartphone, then yes, I believe so.

If you're using Tapatalk on the forum, then it may transfer over after you click a link. Not really sure on that one.

Tapatalk. It's virtually idiot-proof and I'm a virtual idiot so....
No worries. These are questions folks don't know, or really ever need to know, unless they own a website, or do digital marketing for other businesses, like I do.

This is an AWESOME deal. I will def be using it for my Christmas shopping. Is there a way for the buyer to see how much is coming back to TWT?

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
May
I do thousands of dollars of Amazon shopping for the restaurant every couple months. I will add the bookmark to my work computer.

Sent from some jerk texting while riding.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Is there a way for the buyer to see how much is coming back to TWT?
Not that I know of.

However, when anyone does use this in the near future, please post here so I can make sure it is working. Don't necessarily need to know what you bought, but just that you tried to use this feature. There are reports I can view showing amounts I will receive, but I don't think they identify the buyers.

First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Hansen
Not that I'm a huge amazon shopper but who pays "the small percentage"? Amazon? The seller? Just curious.

Not that I'm a huge amazon shopper but who pays "the small percentage"? Amazon? The seller? Just curious.
Amazon pays it as an "affiliate commission."

If you want to go far down the rabbit hole, technically the seller pays for it, due to added costs of paying overhead, such as commissions :sun:

First Name
jason
Last Name
bohac
We have diapers and wipes on auto order. I wonder if I can change it to where TWT gets "credit"

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
May
Amazon pays it as an "affiliate commission."

If you want to go far down the rabbit hole, technically the seller pays for it, due to added costs of paying overhead, such as commissions :sun:
Was always there. Advertising costs and expenditures just going to another place before.

Sent from some jerk texting while riding.

First Name
Bill
Last Name
Woodall
Scott -- in the not-too-distant past, Amazon would provide an Amazon "ad" that you could drop into your site and link it to their website -- that way nobody has to remember the URL. Perhaps they'll still make that available, though it definitely changes the look and feel of your site.

Texas T

Forum Supporter
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Thorn
Scott -- in the not-too-distant past, Amazon would provide an Amazon "ad" that you could drop into your site and link it to their website -- that way nobody has to remember the URL.
Yep. Used that on my personal site to get commissions on books that people purchased after reading my reviews.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
:tab You pay the same price whether you use the link or not. As mentioned, it is built into all of their pricing as overhead. By using the link, you just send some of that overhead to TWT instead of to Amazon or some other affiliate/advertiser.

We have diapers and wipes on auto order. I wonder if I can change it to where TWT gets "credit"
:tab I do not believe there is anyway to change something after the fact.

What are items that qualify?
:tab Easier to say what does NOT qualify:

The following are Excluded Products:

• any product or service sold on a site linked to from the Amazon Site (e.g., a product or service listed through our “Product Ads” program or sold on a site linked to from a banner ad, sponsored link, or other link displayed on the Amazon Site);
  • any wireless service plan offered through the Amazon Site and not sold or fulfilled by us;
  • any product, including games and other applications, sold through the Amazon Appstore for Android;
  • any product sold on fresh.amazon.com;
  • any alcoholic beverage product;
  • any digital Kindle product purchased as a subscription (e.g., Kindle newspaper subscriptions, magazine subscriptions, blog subscriptions, etc.); or
  • any of the products identified by Amazon Standard Identification Number (“ASIN”) in the following list (from and after the date listed); provided that any additions to this list will be published on this page at least 7 days before the beginning of the month in which they are first excluded (and such publication will be your sole notice of such modification): or

Excluded_ASIN_Table_20130201._V395124753_.gif

Scott -- in the not-too-distant past, Amazon would provide an Amazon "ad" that you could drop into your site and link it to their website -- that way nobody has to remember the URL. Perhaps they'll still make that available, though it definitely changes the look and feel of your site.
:tab Those are still available in all manner of sizes and variety. I just have not included any on the site for the reason you mention. I would change the look and feel of the site. If I can make a banner that fits the size of those I already have, then I might incorporate them. Unfortunately, I am severely graphically challenged when it comes to creating that kind of stuff.

:tab It seems to be working. Since I posted this, we have already received about $40 in commissions!

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Yep. Used that on my personal site to get commissions on books that people purchased after reading my reviews.
:tab By the way, if anyone does a book review here (or reviews for anything else for that matter) and include a link to Amazon in their post, the forum software will automatically append the ID for TWT to the link ;-)

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
If I can make a banner that fits the size of those I already have, then I might incorporate them. Unfortunately, I am severely graphically challenged when it comes to creating that kind of stuff.
:tab I forgot to mention that if anyone would like to create a banner for me that matches the size of those already shown at the top of every page, I would REALLY appreciate it. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. Simple text would be fine, perhaps something like "Shop at Amazon and support TWT!" Then I would link it to Amazon with the ID attached.

:tab The link is also in the "Support TWT" drop down menu on the main Navbar.

Texas T

Forum Supporter
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Thorn
I like those a lot. I like the 3rd one the best. Suggestion: Put the "Support TWT" in the white portion of the flag, delete "And", put "Shop at Amazon" in the red portion.

First Name
Tom
Last Name
Hancock
When I click on the link from my phone it says invalid attachment specified. May be a phone thing.

Texas T

Forum Supporter
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Thorn

E.Marquez

Forum Supporter
First Name
Erik
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
No idea....
All uploaded the same way, to this server.

All work on all three computers here at my place,, and only one of those was online when they were uploaded.
Cleared cache, and reloaded web site and images, all visable.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
I like those a lot. I like the 3rd one the best. Suggestion: Put the "Support TWT" in the white portion of the flag, delete "And", put "Shop at Amazon" in the red portion.
Agreed. Thanks!