• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Short 5 day to Arkansas

Reaction score
Headed to Arkansas the 28th looking for some cooler weather and always great roads. Have ridden there many times on the street hoping to hit some easy dirt as I am new to dual sport and have not ridden on the dirt since I was in my twenty's.
Have been given a couple of recommendations for mild dirt but don't know the source. I don't think im ready for heavy sand, mud etc.
Would love any recommendations you all might have.
THX
Steve

We are going up as well on the 28th. We will be riding some loops around Eureka Springs or the Arkansas TAT. Still in the planning stages. I can send you some gpx files if you want some or ???? There are 3 of us going and we plan to camp.

Cool
That would be great
Maybe I can ride up with y’all
I was going through Oklahoma then mena

I live in Fort Worth. I am meeting my friend in Denison, TX. We are doing lunch in Bonham. Camping up by Mena. Next day lunch in Oark. Let me know. You are welcome to come along. What are you riding?

Sounds good. I ride a 800GS. The other guys one rides a 701 Husky and a African Twin. All 3 of us are former KLR riders. :)

Tires make a BIG difference on the big bikes. If I were heading to Arkansas with my GS, I would be running a TKC 80 front and either a TKC 80 or Shinko 805 rear. There are similar tires in other brands, but the point is that I would NOT be using a 50/50 tire, especially on the front. The big bikes tend to load up the front a bit more and having that extra grip up front makes a big difference in how the bike handles in loose conditions. I simply avoid mud if at all possible :-P

Most of the county and forest roads aren't too bad unless there are creek crossings. The concrete crossings can be snot slick. I had 2" of flowing water take the front end out from under my GS the moment the tire entered the water at about 2 mph! The non-concrete crossings are hit and miss depending on the creek bed. The ones with the big rocks can be a real challenge! If in doubt, there are often ways to get around the crossing via different roads nearby.

Here are routes I did last May on my `17 1200 GS riding two up with Daniel.

I don't remember any of it being real technical, but there were a few water crossings. All of them were easily avoidable though. We just did them for grins. Even though none of this was real hard, I'd still recommend riding with a buddy, just in case ;-) Also, make sure you can repair a tire puncture. Cell service in some areas is questionable.

Tires make a BIG difference on the big bikes. If I were heading to Arkansas with my GS, I would be running a TKC 80 front and either a TKC 80 or Shinko 805 rear. There are similar tires in other brands, but the point is that I would NOT be using a 50/50 tire, especially on the front. The big bikes tend to load up the front a bit more and having that extra grip up front makes a big difference in how the bike handles in loose conditions. I simply avoid mud if at all possible :-P

Most of the county and forest roads aren't too bad unless there are creek crossings. The concrete crossings can be snot slick. I had 2" of flowing water take the front end out from under my GS the moment the tire entered the water at about 2 mph! The non-concrete crossings are hit and miss depending on the creek bed. The ones with the big rocks can be a real challenge! If in doubt, there are often ways to get around the crossing via different roads nearby.

Here are routes I did last May on my `17 1200 GS riding two up with Daniel.

I don't remember any of it being real technical, but there were a few water crossings. All of them were easily avoidable though. We just did them for grins. Even though none of this was real hard, I'd still recommend riding with a buddy, just in case ;-) Also, make sure you can repair a tire puncture. Cell service in some areas is questionable.
Thanks scott

I am in love with the Mitas tires. Good off road, but last lot's of smiles. I have run E-10's, but prefer the E-07's.

The time has come! Leaving at first light in the morning rain or shine to Arkansas
I love going up there roads , views , a great place to unwind.
First out of state on the New bike.
Plan is to relax, stop and take pictures, relax

my wife and I got back from a week in Arkansas last week, had a fantastic time riding in the Ozarks, the roads and scenery are beautiful and we had so much fun.. Hope you enjoy yourselves.

Gary

Back