• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Short trail rides

My part-time boss and riding partner just got back into riding 3 years ago. Started on 450, he was 6'5" and 300 #'s. He quickly learned that at 58 he wasn't ready for 450's in the woods. Went with 250 4T and being a very competitive guy started losing weight. He got down to around 220# and got back to his old glory. When he first got back on he quit after 4 or 5 miles. Now he's beating guys I never thought he could.

Anyway point of story, he stills has 4-5 250's and a 125YZX. But he recently went back to the new Honda 450RX which is a totally new bike this year. He is now ready for the big bike and is really riding it well. I want to take him to Cycleland and see how the 450 does with a little more technical and slower riding. Should be interesting to find out.

I was carrying a good pace yesterday(for me), but no doubt I could squirt a little faster between turns on the 450. No faster on it through turns and the question would it wear be out charging corners a little harder. Trade off might not be worth it.

The "squirt" between turns is fun but also creates the need for harder braking in most woods turns which leads to fatigue. Fighting thru unknown woods turns is quite different than flowing thru mx track turns when you know exactly what you will see every time. An open class bike in the chewed up, chopped up, rooted up, rutted up, holed up, timbered up trails at C-Land is a real handful. And if it is a stall prone 4stk, even worse. In my experience at least.

The "squirt" between turns is fun but also creates the need for harder braking in most woods turns which leads to fatigue. Fighting thru unknown woods turns is quite different than flowing thru mx track turns when you know exactly what you will see every time. An open class bike in the chewed up, chopped up, rooted up, rutted up, holed up, timbered up trails at C-Land is a real handful. And if it is a stall prone 4stk, even worse. In my experience at least.
You are correct. But 450's are fun, lol.

Doing some practice laps on my 7 mile loop at KP. Perfect weather, still very dry.
20201119_115902.jpg

I could have been there eating your dust had I known. But you probably start too early for me. How do you get to that trail head off of 1375?

Got there at 1130. Take 1375 west, across Lake. Turn left at Stubblefield rd. There's signs.

Too pretty of a day to work. Wish I was riding.

Explain that ramp please, interesting. Does it fold up?
Not mine
yes
The idea is get back wheel to platform, then go from there. Some like it some don't. I didn't ask Steve about it.

Had some dang good times and enduros at CLand. Some of the best riding in Texas...

Even cheaper
This ramp has worked great for me as a walkup. Folds into a single wide and not too heavy either ~30 lbs.
Bonus also as you can load a quad or SxS with it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Even cheaper
This ramp has worked great for me as a walkup. Folds into a single wide and not too heavy either ~30 lbs.
Bonus also as you can load a quad or SxS with it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
I use something similar but it just folds in half. Can load my 4 wheeler and bike and walk the bike up. My son calls it the Old Man Ramp. He's probably right.
I can remember being at a race back in the 90s and we finished and I was beat. Had the single channel ramp and thought I'd ride into the truck. Bike slipped and so did I. Bike fell on top of me. There were probably 800 people there. It sounded like every one of them were laughing at me. Pretty embarrassing. Love my old man ramp.

@GSTJOHN, myself and a Father/son (old Father/son) we happened to meet in parking lot, did a rather interesting 20 miles at SHNF. Conditions were perfect, no mud, no dust, and great temp's. Weird thing 3 of the 4 took pretty good spills. #1 was son, pretty fast rider from Alaska, hit some roots and tried to double a whoop and bike stood straight up and tossed him off the back. Destroyed subframe, side panel removed and exhaust full of dirt as back end stuck into the ground hard! He got up no worse for wear, so a little straightening and pipe cleaning and off we go. #2 was his Pops, on a nicely setup Kawasaki KLR300, guess he went to wide coming out of a turn and punched a tree. Radiator shroud ripped, radiator forced back to cylinder, and master cylinder broke. But again, no injuries, so little fixing and straightening out and off we go! Couple miles from trailhead I catch a huge root running with the trail, takes my frontend out before I even know it and makes me a lawn dart over the front end. Flying through the air I thought this ain't good. Planted pretty hard but gear did it's job, did ring my bell pretty good but seems ok! Bike no damage. Off to the truck and we're all in one piece so still a good day! Glenn managed to keep his bike off the ground today!!

Back