• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Short trail rides

20210120_165121.jpg
20210120_165108.jpg
20210120_165046.jpg
20210120_165031.jpg
20210120_165025.jpg
20210120_165015.jpg

and I only fell over and crashed 4 times:clap::rider: Trying to keep up with Rob of course.

I rode yesterday from the 208 TH to KP. Hadn't planned on hitting the trails until I saw 208 trail head was open. Was better than I expected for sure. Slid into one of the mud holes that I "know to avoid" lol. After about 5 minutes of some choice words and remembering again that my bike weighs 470 lbs WITHOUT mud, I dug out and motored on. Then of course being the sucker I am, did woodpecker around to 208. I know not to take woodpecker right after a rain but conveniently forgot. Was actually not too bad because it was still wet enough that the clay didn't gum up as is usual. Fun stuff.

Going to take a "cool" spin at Cycleland today! See how many trees are still down.

3 of us did 31 miles today, last ride before all 60 miles of trail are reversed. Can't wait. Friend was on a Beta 200, that's a winner at Cycleland. He did great. Not sure how'd it do in SHNF with deep sand and whoops. But perfect bike for a normal sized guy at Cycleland.

Rode Cycleland Thursday, one of those perfect days. When I found out I was off and texted a few guys I didn't know they had 1/2 inch of rain Wednesday evening. Just about perfect conditions. It was trying to sprinkle, so the cloud cover kept temps bearable. 4 of us: 73, 70, 66, and late 50's. Old guys rule, lol.

Now if I can remember not to punch a tree next time. Pretty sore hand!

@GSTJOHN he's FAST on 350's for sure.

Rode Cycleland Thursday, one of those perfect days. When I found out I was off and texted a few guys I didn't know they had 1/2 inch of rain Wednesday evening. Just about perfect conditions. It was trying to sprinkle, so the cloud cover kept temps bearable. 4 of us: 73, 70, 66, and late 50's. Old guys rule, lol.

Now if I can remember not to punch a tree next time. Pretty sore hand!

@GSTJOHN he's FAST on 350's for sure.
Didn't matter what section of trail it was...The 350 wasn't fast enough to keep up with you.:clap::thumb:
Thanks for the awesome ride. I know that tree regrets it now.

@GSTJOHN just think 5 or 6 years ago, you'd have to stop and catch your breath. Sometimes leaving early. Now you're a beast out there. Impressive

Got a short ride in today. Did Woodpecker/Honeymoon loop from KP trailhead in the SHNF. Did it one way, then turned around and rode it the opposite way. Still learning the 890R so picked the trails with the least sand. Even then, the approx 16 miles both ways was enough. Sand, 98 deg temps, and big bike make for a good workout.

Edit. I just reread this. It's approx 16 miles combined. 8 miles one way. No way would I attempt 32 miles in that heat and sand.

Last edited:
These temps and humidity can be sneaky. You are feeling fine and suddenly it hits. If you push and really overheat you never recover until you get cooler somehow. Dangerous.

Where I come from, people say Rampart Range, or Switzerland Trail, or even White RIm, Lockhart Basin , the the Grand Mesa, and its game on, but all open to the public to appreciate. I hate the lack of public access in Texas and sold my WR 450 a year after arriving in 2013 as it had been ran only twice, on pay to play properties. I had not paid to ride since Hollister Hills in CA in 1977. But hey I got to see a guy ride back there named Roger Decoster.

Where I come from, people say Rampart Range, or Switzerland Trail, or even White RIm, Lockhart Basin , the the Grand Mesa, and its game on, but all open to the public to appreciate. I hate the lack of public access in Texas and sold my WR 450 a year after arriving in 2013 as it had been ran only twice, on pay to play properties. I had not paid to ride since Hollister Hills in CA in 1977. But hey I got to see a guy ride back there named Roger Decoster.
I luv TX for many reasons but when it comes to riding, TX sucks!

Back