• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

shorty levers, how difficult to install?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,
For a while I have wanted some shorty, adjustable hand levers for my Moto Guzzi V7 III Special. They are available, my question: how difficult to install? And then, am I dealing with major adjustment of both clutch and front brakes? Thanks!

I've never worked on a MG but every bike I've seen it looks very straightforward to replace levers. One nut and/or bolt/screw per side. Old lever drops out, new one inserted and reinsert hardware. :shrug:
I will add that I put the smallest bit of graphite grease on the contact and pivot points to ensure smooth operation. If in doubt, there is always utube university.

With my BMW it was easy but you had to use a micrometer to measure the existing plunger length for the stock lever. Then you would install the plunger on the new lever using the OEM measurement. For me, the brake lever worked perfectly. The clutch I had to back out a little bit because I was getting a bit of clutch slip. It's all good now. There are YouTube videos for install. You will need a micrometer.

Kidder,
Thanks for info, brake side should be very simple best I can tell. Clutch I will research. Ordered Pazzo adjustable hand levers, in black, long length. Decided against shorties due to my small hands. My main goal: adjust lever distance so I can reach easier.

Kidder,
Thanks for info, brake side should be very simple best I can tell. Clutch I will research. Ordered Pazzo adjustable hand levers, in black, long length. Decided against shorties due to my small hands. My main goal: adjust lever distance so I can reach easier.
The Pazzo levers come with detailed instructions. That's what I installed on my bike. Measuring and capturing the baseline is extremely important. Triple check your measurement for both sides. And ensure you are measuring from the same two points.

No instructions came with the levers. I think for now I will just stash them in my garage. Too bad, as they are beautiful, and would help my small hands. Eventually I will have a competent motorcycle mechanic install them.

No instructions came with the levers. I think for now I will just stash them in my garage. Too bad, as they are beautiful, and would help my small hands. Eventually I will have a competent motorcycle mechanic install them.
Mine came with a one page, 2-sided instruction guide. Where did you order yours from? They should have come with the instructions. There is a Pazzo YouTube channel that can walk you through it.

When the current crap is over, give me a jingle. I will be glad to help you install them.
Randy

I've never worked on a MG but every bike I've seen it looks very straightforward to replace levers. One nut and/or bolt/screw per side. Old lever drops out, new one inserted and reinsert hardware. :shrug:
I will add that I put the smallest bit of graphite grease on the contact and pivot points to ensure smooth operation. If in doubt, there is always utube university.

That ^^
I had Pazzos on my JP spec VTR250. They're easy to physically install. Verify the clutch is adjust right, same for the plunger at the master cylinder. I went by feel, so long as the brake wasn't being ridden. Next flip the little tab that adjusts the level further or closer away. Then test it out down the street.

When the current crap is over, give me a jingle. I will be glad to help you install them.
Randy
Also willing to help. Not difficult; only real effort is getting the adjustments set to something you're comfortable with.

Do I need to buy some special grease for the joints? I am concerned about clutch adjustment as the Guzzi is very fussy. It also surprised me again with a difficult start yesterday. Starter switch is an issue on this bike?

I use Bel-Ray waterproof grease on most anything that needs grease. You don't need much for the levers, just a light coating. If your clutch is cable actuated, it's a good opportunity to shoot some cable lube down it.

I usually just use white lithium grease. It's light and cleans up easily.

BTW, I have small hands and I much prefer shortie levers. I find them just long enough allows 3 fingers to get a perfect "hook" on the ball at the end of the lever. Even 4 fingers would fit, but the much shorter pinky finger really doesn't help much until the lever is pulled all the way in towards the grip. On the brake side, that never happens. On the clutch side, during normal riding, the clutch lever just gets a quick flick to the friction point. The only time I have to pull clutch lever to the grip is coming to a stop in gear. If I have to stop for any length of time, I'd rather just shift into N and relax my left hand.
shortie L.jpg

I think I can easily install the brake lever, but I did just order some Bel Ray waterproof grease. I do not want to install dry, metal on metal. I will keep researching the clutch installation-- might try it myself: hesitant because this Guzzi seems very finicky on clutch adjustment.

One of his bikes is a Moto Guzzi (V7 I think) and the other is a MV. He's ridden both to the Monday breakfast and they are beautiful bikes.

Hmm, Belray grease arrived. This morning I tried to change out brake lever on Guzzi. No problem removing bottom 10 MM nut. But the top screw bolt that holds the handle won't budge. It has a single bladed top. Tried all my big screw drivers, no joy-- and I do not want to strip the nut. Now what?
Might just call my fav Guzzi mechanic and see if I can get an appointment to ride in for both levers install-- while I wait. Hmm. Any suggestions on loosening this bolt? Lever is smooth, so it is not rusted or anything. Ideas?

Hmm, Belray grease arrived. This morning I tried to change out brake lever on Guzzi. No problem removing bottom 10 MM nut. But the top screw bolt that holds the handle won't budge. It has a single bladed top. Tried all my big screw drivers, no joy-- and I do not want to strip the nut. Now what?
Might just call my fav Guzzi mechanic and see if I can get an appointment to ride in for both levers install-- while I wait. Hmm. Any suggestions on loosening this bolt? Lever is smooth, so it is not rusted or anything. Ideas?
The bolt is just stuck on (the threads on the bottom part of the perch), gotta crack it. Use as flat and wide a blade as you can find for leverage and to protect the head from getting mangled. I usually don't force the issue with a flathead screwdriver. I'll use a coin or a piece of some kinda scrap that fits the slot, then maybe a pair of slip joint pliers to turn it. If I'm really in a no non-sense mood, I'll switch the bit and use the 1/4" impact driver to break the hold.

With stuck stuff, a quick impact on twist breaks the hold before the head gets distorted from the force.

Another option to try, take a round punch and a hammer and lightly tap the bolt head then give it a twist with the screwdriver. The idea is the impact breaks the hold so you can turn it easier.

You might need to add little heat. It may have been LockTited. With a propane torch slowly heat the threaded portion to about 400 degrees. See if it starts to turn. You will have to move quickly because the surrounding aluminum will cool it quickly, as will the wrenches and screwdrivers. Just be careful and not overheat any wires, plastic or rubber parts.
Randy

Last edited:
A precise way to apply heat is with a soldering iron. A suggestion I've seen but never done myself.

LOL... uh nope. Guess these levers will just sit. Pretty things. I will email my mechanic and see if he will change while I wait. If not, throw them in a drawer and forget them for now.

So, being it Monday and I needed an escape, I rode to MPH Automotive in Houston. Mike Haven installed the Pazzo levers for me on my Moto Guzzi V7 III
Special. Mike is a great mechanic, and heck of a nice guy if you need work on a Guzzi, BMW, or your Mercedes. or BMW car. Love the Pazzo levers, as they adjust for my small hands. Mike had to use an impact driver to get the bolts out. Pazzo are made in Canada, superb quality.
Five stars out of five.

Back