• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Should I be scared of a V-Strom with 81000 miles

Rigid

Reaction score
First Name
Lane
Last Name
Turner
This is a good looking bike from the pics, looks well taken care of. That is a lot of miles, but priced at $1500.00.

2012 Suzuki v-strom adventure model DL-650 full set of factory boxes one owner all maintenance records available mileage 81237

I know many of you have a lot of knowledge and looking for advice

All three Trax boxes cost about asking price. How bout chain bearings brakes suspension etc. I sold my 12 with 18 k miles for 4000. Me personally , I wouldn't buy any m/c with that many miles but I know many would. Curious on what others will comment.

You got 2500 in hand from your previous sale, now what else can you sell and step up to this pretty honda

If I bought a bike with that many miles it would only be to part it out. I wouldn’t buy a bike with half as many miles to actually ride.

My first thought is you said it was good looking so are you sure it was a VStrom:-P. If it was well maintained with records and shows no mechanical issues I would
not worry, I bought my ST1100 with that many miles and it was a great bike only sold it to free up cash for a used FJR. I have about 170K miles on my ZRX and would
ride it cross country without hesitation at any time.

Miles dont scare me poor maintenance and abuse does

You got 2500 in hand from your previous sale, now what else can you sell and step up to this pretty honda

That is nice, so you reduced the price like 10 min ago what is the new price?

VStroms are about as bullet proof as a bike can be. Plus, that many miles on a 2012 tells me that it's seen a lot of highway miles - generally the least stressful miles to pile up on any vehicle. If it's had regular maintenance and the chain/sprockets are good, I wouldn't worry a lot about the engine or drive train. If it's on the original shock, it's probably overdue for a replacement - about $450 if I recall. Be sure to take that or other likely maintenance needs into account with the final price.

My '07 has almost 60k & runs as if it were new. The valves are even still in the middle of specs. Personally I would worry more about cosmetic issues than mechanical ones. For $1500. I would buy the bike & ride the wheels off of it!

That is nice, so you reduced the price like 10 min ago what is the new price?
I have seen this thread for months (honda cb500x ) and thought it to be a great deal since it seems like a brand new bike. I onece sat on one at at a dealership but the sitting position to me seemed a little tight (I lowered my pegs on my strom). Not as powerful as my wee (according to specs) but its lighter and a little more ground clerence. Understand you would have to come up with more cash but (honda) still seems to me like a sweet bike that would be trouble free for a long time. The $1500 strom, well its been around the block awhile . The engine is probably still solid (hard to kill these stroms) but gotta think about all the age on the systems that have aged...wear items ,bearings,suspension clutch, cables. It's just the age old question isn't it? Were these repair issues (as every mechnical system will have) taken care of? Example, My 2000 silverado was begining to $250 dollering me to death and i could still see more repairs upcoming due to its age which surely would happen.(a.c. for one). Are you buying someone's pit, or does it still have many trouble free miles. If you are not afraid of diy repairs you should have no fear of purchasing something like this category bike. I would say you would never know about each bike until you check each in person but unfortunately distance and time have a lot to do with making purchases decisions (does this make sense?) Good luck with your quest.

Last edited:

Honda Honda honda

I bought a Vstrom 1000, 2004, with 80,500 miles for a buddy a few weeks ago. It runs, is well poised, and suspension isn't a total pogo stick. But at 80k miles I consider4 it a learners bike cause it may go 50k or 100k miles, or maybe only another 10k.

But, Vstroms are passing 100k with little to no issues regularly. Like a BMW boxer twin, but reliably, without $20k in minor repair receipts.

Well, the guy sold it before I got there. That was ok, I ended up purchasing an 05 with 23,000 miles, paid more for it but I am happy.

I just got it home last night after dark, worked all day checking and changing plugs oil and filters, I will get a picture or two and post.

My first thought is you said it was good looking so are you sure it was a VStrom:-P. If it was well maintained with records and shows no mechanical issues I would
not worry, I bought my ST1100 with that many miles and it was a great bike only sold it to free up cash for a used FJR. I have about 170K miles on my ZRX and would
ride it cross country without hesitation at any time.

Miles dont scare me poor maintenance and abuse does

I agree, it's not the miles, it's the care with which those miles were earned. I sold my 08 Strom 650 with 69,000 miles, and I told the buyer I would stand behind the condition of the bike. Just call me if you think there is something wrong with the bike. I don't doubt if properly ridden and maintained that Suzuki has another 70,000 miles in it.

Ok here we go with pics, I think technology hates me, I think I need to stick with a Big Chief and a #2 and draw stick pictures, for any of you that knows what a Big Chief and #2 is that dates you!

Attachments

• 20190225_144821.jpg
    20190225_144821.jpg
    509.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 20190225_144832.jpg
    20190225_144832.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 20190225_144947.jpg
    20190225_144947.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 20190225_144954.jpg
    20190225_144954.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 176
  • 20190225_145007.jpg
    20190225_145007.jpg
    537.5 KB · Views: 163
Heat gun and graphics will do nicely. Looks like you can start a plumbing supply house with all that storage

Nice bike, can't miss that red

I think the guy I bought it from was planning to go around the world. I found a tank plastic cover on eBay. its red and everything.

That seems like it is a lot for a Vstrom but then again my DL1000 only has about 60,000 so what do I know. Based on mine aside from some minor quirks over it's lifetime it still runs fine, just gets predictably crappy gas mileage, but it is consistently bad. Somehow I though thte 2012 had a different body style. it looks about the same as my 2002...

Back