• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SHTC news and events

Re: SHNF work day. Look here.

SHTC upcoming board position.

The At Large board position is up for election.

David Todd is currently running for this position.

Please attend the May 6th meeting and exercise your voting powers.

David is a highly decorated volunteer for the Sam Houston Trails Coalition. He has spearheaded the massive efforts to reopen many of the West side trails. David is authorized and certified to use Forest Service heavy equipment.

If you need to know more about David, please ask.

I'm currently the At Large board member and will be stepping down due to logistical issues. I will still devote all my efforts to the Coalition.

Thank you.

Girard Lall

No doubt this next meeting is very important. I spent 11 hours (in one day) working on the trails with David Todd. We rebuilt several of the drain dips and spent MANY hours, freeing the equipment from the mud. The focus never strayed from improving the trails.
The upcoming election for the open position in the SHTC is very important. I am not trying to take away from the importance of the equestrians, the hikers or bicycle riders...we are all working together. The main reason that I think your vote should be for David Todd is that the MOTORCYCLE FOLKS have put forth the major effort that have kept the trails open.
Please join the SHTC, there is nothing like this anywhere in the USA. The connection they have made with the USFS is remarkable and could lead to a major peoples movement in all of our public lands.
Check out the SHTC web site, join and come to the May meeting!!! RH

I am just thankful for you guys that have the time to put into this. I would love to attend these meetings and do more to help maintain the trails. Unfortunately, with three kids and very little time off from work, it is virtually impossible for me to make these kinds of meetings, especially during the week. Hopefully, in the not too distant future, things will change where I will be able to do more to help.

:sun:Scott,#1, you are a helping more than can be expressed. The fact that the TWTX site was created and sustained, gives all of use a voice to communicate. That value is over the top. All of us that care, can get together and make a difference.
I have to say, my 11 hr Swamper duty, as glamourous as it sounds, that is my contribution. NO WHERE close to being a Swamper at Muscle Shoals Studio's!!! We acclomised alot that day, despite several big time challenges.
Most of the important member meetings are at 08:30 until 10:30 on Saturday mornings, generally at the Gulf Coast Trade Center, on a variable quarterly schedule.
May 6th is a very important meeting date. 0830hr at the Gulf Coast Trade Center, 5ish miles off FM 1375, west of New Waverly.
The SHTC is comprised of Hikers, Equestrians, Campers, Bikers AND MOTORCYCLE FOLKS. There is nothing like this organization in the USA. We (Motoriized folks) do the most damage...BUT we put through 99.9% of the trail rehab projects. Come out and vote for the fellow that rides a dirt bike. David Todd.
The position he is running for is an At Large Position. A policy swing vote is at stake.
I am GUILTY. I have lived in the middle of the Natioal Forrest since 1962. I used to fill my Husky tank and ride for days. In my mind, this is Heaven on Earth. I don't want to loose it!!!
You have to be inperson to vote.
It is important for all of us to come together. There is no doubt that we all have different goals and ideals regarding the public use of our National Forests. But, if you are a M/C person
#1 Join the SHTC
#2 Come to the 5/6/17 meeting
#3 Treat any public lands with respect...
#4 Be part of the solution.
RH

WORKDAY TO GET "STRING AND BALLOON LOOP" OPEN!!!!

Sunday, June 11, 2017
8:00 AM

Meet at 208 Trail Head, 30.539480, -95.662044

The west side string and balloon trails are very close to getting reopened after almost a full year of closure.
Please to come out in force this Sunday morning and give a full blown effort to finish working these trails so the forestry service can inspect them and reopen them asap. Bring loppers, machete's, chain saw if you're certified with your proof of certification and let's finish this. Need 4-wheeler if you got them to carry saws. If we all get behind this, we will get these trails back very soon. Many of you have never ridden these trails and they are fun to ride and been missed by many of our members. HELP US, HELP YOU get OUR trails back.

PLEASE COME OUT AND HELP!!!!!

Also, here is a link to new "Volunteer Service Agreement" that needs to be signed by all volunteers. Please print, fill out, sign and bring with you if you have not already done so after 5/23/2017.

https://www.samhoustontrails.org/do...e-agreement/OF301A-14a-General-Trail-Work.pdf

Last edited:
SHTC Quarterly meeting!

WHO: SAM HOUSTON TRAILS COALITION MEMBERS & General Public

WHAT: SHTC GENERAL MEETING

WHEN: SATURDAY, AUG 5th, 2017 9:00 AM – 10:30 AM

We need to be off the property by 10:45 AM

WHERE: Gulf Coast Trades Center – Family Life Center
143 Forest Service Rd. #233, New Waverly, Tx 77358

https://www.samhoustontrails.org/2017/07/28/shtc-quarterly-meeting-aug-5th/

Last edited:
Huntsville Fair on the Square

Come out and support the SHTC.
Downtown Huntsville on Courthouse Lawn
Booth L1
Come by booth L1 to learn how families can have fun in the forest.
Buy a raffle ticket for a chance to win a $500 Stihl chainsaw
All SHTC members and guests welcomed!

Saturday Oct 7, 2017
9:00 AM – 5:00 PM

Fair on the Square

For those of you trail riders that are unsure about volunteering, I would like to give you my experience about volunteering on the trails.
I always felt a little guilty knowing that there are so many people working to get the trails in shape so I can ride on them, and me not really contributing. I joined the Sam Houston Trails Coalition and the Old Dudes on Dirt Bikes about a year ago, but always had something going on when the call for volunteers came out. I wanted to “give back” to the trail riding community instead of always being a taker, so a few weeks ago I signed up to volunteer. I did so alone, and was the first to arrive at the trail head. Soon afterward, the organizer of that day’s work day showed up and gave me direction. My job was to survey the trails on my motorcycle! I was thinking that this can’t be right-sounds like too much fun. Sure enough, I rode the trails, and took pictures and gave descriptions of areas of concern. After arriving back at the trail head, I met some very cool guys, and took off to do some bridge maintenance (again on the motorcycle).
I’m sure it is not always so fun, but volunteering will give you a chance to get out and ride. It also is a very satisfying experience—knowing that you are giving back a little to the overall trail riding community.

I appreciate what he does, but that seems more than a bit egotistical.
? Don't see that at all, are you sure that's the word you meant? Actually I would say the opposite "anti-egotistical". Article talks about SHTC volunteer work as a team, cooperation between previously competing user groups and lots of hours spent without any self serving gains or compensation for Ed.

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I appreciate what he does, but that seems more than a bit egotistical.

I don't know Ed's heart, but I've known him a very long time. He will come across as egotistical. But I do know he works his butt off and tries to get others involved and thanks them when they do. Ed is what I call an "A" personality with a good heart. But all will not like him! lol. I'm just glad we have him leading us, it's a thankless job and very hard working with the government and their red tape. Of all the folks we have I don't think anyone understands the game better than him. He knows how to present stuff in writing in the words they understand and can't refute. I hope he keeps fighting for us.

Y'all misunderstand. I really appreciate all he's doing. But given the opportunity for an article in the paper, I think he could have used it to focus more on the coalition, the work, and the need and less on himself. That's all.

No worries.

The Houston Chronicle had a promotion to nominate a person that has made an impact on the community- "Home Town Heros ".

Ed was nominated by several people. If fact, he is in the top five most nominated person since the inception of H.T.H., according to the Chronicle.

Since Ed is a Hometown Hero, the focus was on him.
It did bring notoriety to the Coalition.

Back