• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Simple Camera Recomendation

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Brewster
I'm looking for a recommendation for a simple but robust camera.

I have been using a Panasonic camera that had a very nice zoom lens as my trip camera. I say it had a nice lens, because I dropped it and made it not so nice. I liked that camera, but it was frankly a little fussy for the way I use it. It took a couple of seconds for the lens to wake up and extend etc. I would like to be able to tether the new one to my jacket so I can use it on the fly or stuff it in my pocket etc. Since I'm pretty much a fat fingered gorilla, robust would be nice and fast to wake up, focus and shoot would be a bonus. FWIW, I would never consider myself to be a real photographer, but I woould like nice snapshots like some I've seen here. Anything particular jump to mind?

I just bought a brand new Canon SX730. I haven't even had a chance to give it a decent workout yet, but from a couple of days' play, I like what I see. It'll do nearly anything my SLR will do: long zoom, wide angle, macro, shutter-preferred, aperture-preferred, plus it has all those cool modes. Or, you can just set it on full auto and forget about it. I bought it specifically so that I can get high quality pictures without having my Nikon stuffed in my tank bag.

Back