• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Singletrack, K Trail, and some sweet pavement! Mena, AR June 3-5'th.

I'd hate to hear that you are going to miss your trip. I've got a KLX400R project bike that's not going anywhere for a while, if your replacement starter is not going to get to you in time, I can overnight mine or send it up with Jake. Just send me the replacement when it gets here. Let me know if you want it.
John
:chug:

That is very generous and I probably will take you up on it. I am going to tear it apart tonight and make sure it isn't something else but I'm pretty confident it is the starter. If it is I'll let you know and maybe you can send the starter up tomorrow, I'll paypal you the postage or whatever you want.

Do you need anything for your project? I have a ton of extra DRZ parts, just no engine.

I'm going to look at a hitch type cycle carrier this evening as I don't want to hitch up the trailer. If this works out I may join you guys on the Sunday ride.

I'm out of Plano but we have a little place 45 minutes east of Mena, between Pencil Bluff and Mt Ida. If I go up this weekend I'd haul the bike up as I need to get some things done on the property Saturday.

If I knew for sure I'd make it up there you could have camped at our place which would be closer to the Sunday ride.

Dave

Gah, guys. Quit breaking your bikes.

We'll probably be using about half that route, Jake. The K Trail side will be the same, but Arkansas will change up a bit, mainly just extend a little further east.. That's from our last ride, I've been too lazy to make up a new one.

Well, looks like I'm out :giveup: After drilling for hours to make enough of a hole in the bolt, I ended up breaking off the tip of an easy-out in there (piece of @#$% Craftsman made in china crap)!!! So now I'm going to have to remove the swingarm and take it to a machine shop to see what they can do. New problem however, is that to do that requires some Honda specialty tools :eek2:
I've got pleas out on several forums, but no way I'll get some in time for this ride. Sucks!

Rob, that bites! I'm not familiar with that bike's arrangement but machinery is machinery. I have a few tools and a shop with a radio. Bring that thing to B/CS and we'll get it going.

Don't count me out just yet, boys! Jake, great suggestion, and I've already thougth of something similar. Yeah, that bolt really doesn't stop the driving force of the rear wheel; it's basically just for the chain tension/wheel alignment, so I'm going to just put a "filler" (small metal block) in the "space" and lock it down real good.

RG, when are you planning to get to Iron Mountain? I'm planning to get there sometime Friday evening, maybe around 5-6PM. I'm definitely a snorer, but if you got earplugs, maybe we can split a site. It's all honor system there, so we can decide once we get there (if I get there!!).

Keep your fingers crossed. :zen:

Awesome news, I was gonna say to just run the axle a little tighter than normal. How will you affix the block, to keep it in the spot? you'll have to cut the block to match the size of the spot when your chain is correctly adjusted, right?

Yep, make block to correct size, then hose clamp it to the swingarm. Should work, so we'll see. :rider:

RG, when are you planning to get to Iron Mountain? I'm planning to get there sometime Friday evening, maybe around 5-6PM. I'm definitely a snorer, but if you got earplugs, maybe we can split a site. It's all honor system there, so we can decide once we get there (if I get there!!).

Keep your fingers crossed. :zen:

Works for me. My wife has this recurring dream that I snore. I think she'll be alright with the right medication and proper dosage, though. :lol2:

See you at Fe Mt.

Pulling for ya Rob! Really hope you make it out there, always enjoy riding with you.

Howsa bout you TypeSH? Any luck on the starter issue?

Yeah, nice. John is an alright guy. :rider:

(even if he does get angry when lost in the desert)

If anyone needs a place to camp Sat or Sun night let me know. It's free, shower, toilet and you can hang out in the river. Place is 3 of miles from junction of 88 and 270. I will head back to dfw Monday morning.

Yeah, nice. John is an alright guy. :rider:

(even if he does get angry when lost in the desert)

Not angry, frustrated, couldn't find the trail. :headbang:

Is anyone getting a cabin or motel room Saturday night that they want to share? If I don't have to bring my camping stuff that means I could ride up there instead of trailering. Plus having A/C after a long ride is always nice.

While not in Mena (45 minutes east of there) one person could sleep on the fold out sleeper sofa in our travel trailer and we also have a den in the barn. Both have AC.

I think I'm pretty much set on camping. Wanting to do a 'trial run' with the luggage on this bike, figure out if I've got everything I need.

Plus the weather is looking good for the weekend, even if it is gonna be a bit spicy out there.

65 degrees at night = perfect campin' weather.

So, I'm in again :clap: Did a little "Jamaican engineering" on my swingarm. Pics showing how it should look, and now how it does:

Attachments

• P1040148a.JPG
    P1040148a.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 197
  • P1040147a.JPG
    P1040147a.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 177
I think I'm pretty much set on camping. Wanting to do a 'trial run' with the luggage on this bike, figure out if I've got everything I need.

Plus the weather is looking good for the weekend, even if it is gonna be a bit spicy out there.

65 degrees at night = perfect campin' weather.

So, are you camping with me and RG at Iron Mountain? Sounds like Jake and TypeSH are hoteling, and Dave is staying at his place. Is that it? I guess the plan is still to all meet at the Limetree Inn restaurant at 6-6:30ish Saturday morning though, eh?

I've been trying to get over the flu. Have'nt been able to sleep due to sinus pressure. Headaches are killing me today. I'm throwing in the towel.

I've had the worse case of poison ivy my doctor has seen this year for the last three weeks. It is clearing up though but sweat activates it so I want A/C at night. As long as I get that starter today I'm going.

My plans are to ride up to Clayton Saturday morning and meet you guys there and then l'll probably stay with Boxercup Saturday night if the offer is still good. Then I will likely skip that very last part of the ride on Sunday and head back to Dallas.

Offer is still good. You're welcome to fish the river with me in the evening if you'd like as its at the bottom of the property

Back