• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Slimming down for LD......the bike not me.

Traxx

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
My last LD ride I had my panniers on and loaded for bear. Water, food, tools, wet weather gear etc.... I am planning on another ride for this fall, maybe this summer. I want to nix the panniers on the Trophy SE. Have a tank bag coming along with a back rest. I am planning on smacking a water proof duffel on butted up against the back rest for all the fluff that was in the panniers. I also have a desert fox 6L fuel bag that will also share that space. It only takes 1 time running out of fuel in the desert to learn that lesson.
All of this to try to increase the fuel range by tucking the gear inside the air bubble and reducing drag. I wil do a couple of test runs and record any difference in mpg at different speeds.

I have toured for years mostly with just a duffle bag for my gear. I lean on the bag for a backrest. I use a tank bag for incidentals and try to start the trip with it empty to allow for some flexibility.

Attachments

• 1754543-1cd8b0029230761a0d7668638c2adfcd.jpg
    1754543-1cd8b0029230761a0d7668638c2adfcd.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 360
My Wee-Strom has never produced the mileage that some claim, but i always have my side bags on. I might take them off and see what difference they make. I like to have them for running around town they are just to handy to toss stuff into.

I’m curious, what is your definition of a LD ride? A few hundred miles a day, or a thousand a day against a clock? Is it the cost of fuel or a lack of range that concerns you?
Do you think you can improve mileage by 2 miles per gallon by sacrificing some level of self sufficiency? Those roads can be awfully lonely, wet, cold and all the above. Better to have than to need. I ride as prepared as I can,lol.

My definition of a LD ride, IBA # is in my sig.

Why doubt when you can actually try and compare?

AA700BD3-2B1E-46BC-A8EC-397BC5E978E3.jpeg

CAC65F8A-053C-4D19-A117-F870D907B9B7.jpeg

603D3C14-A45B-4552-8182-040AFC806D3C.jpeg

I don’t question the fact you want to know if it makes a difference. It’s just math. If your current tank holds 5 gallons and your range is 200 miles, then a 2 mile per increase only increases your range to 210. Is that 10 miles worth leaving gear you might need behind? I’m aware you have done a SS1000 previously. You did it fully equipped, with your current bike and I suspect you had no time issues.

My thought is an auxiliary tank. The bike shown in my photo above has a 400 mile range at 35 miles per gallon. It is IBA legal and easily allows me to ride up to the 350 mile IBA limit. Even if it’s not a Certified Ride, it’s great not worrying about getting to the next fuel stop.

I’m looking forward to seeing what your tests reveal.

This one will do 400 miles also!

My Wee-Strom has never produced the mileage that some claim, but i always have my side bags on. I might take them off and see what difference they make. I like to have them for running around town they are just to handy to toss stuff into.

I lose about 4 miles a gallon with my pannier on so not horrible

Actually my first couple of SS was on a Tiger EX XRX with the luggage left at home (because of a nice drop in fuel mileage), a back pack strapped to the seat held anything that I needed. Then the next couple were on the current Trophy SE.
I get about 5.5 gal of usable fuel out of the 6.9gal tank and from the low to mid 40's mpg depending on the roads and if I have the wind screen up the mpg can dip into the mid to upper 30's. The whole experiment is for wind management. I can strap a 40 or even a 20 liter duffle longways on my pillion seat/luggage rack and hold everything needed and it be out of the wind. I may spring for a extra pillion seat and use it as a base for some sort of luggage mount or fuel cell mount. I do remember seeing one for the Trophy on Maples farkles that I really liked. Don't know yet.
Tools, tire repair pump etc are always on the bikes without need of any luggage.

Last edited:
Mineral Wells, nice park to walk through.
I thought it looked familiar. I was on my way to the next TOH site last year when I came by this place. I turned around and went back and sat on the side of the road to take a look but didn't go on in because I was on the clock.

My Wee loses around 2 mpg with the panniers on. That's assuming there isn't a big roll of tent & sleeping bag lashed to the back - just the panniers. My old '05 Wee had soft bags, fairly small ones. They cost about 1 to 1.5 mpg.

Yeah, I actually check that stuff on every single fillup. It's an obsession.

One 7600 mile LD ride...a single saddlebag had (mostly) non-riding clothing.

The other saddlebag had rain gear, tool bag, and a spare pair of shoes.

The trunk had snacks, my electronics bag (computer, chargers, etc.), ball cap...and my paperwork.

34 MPG's, baby! :rofl:

I averaged 42 in my round trip to work. 2 panniers 1 top box and a duffle bag strapped to the seat on the way home. Mostly interstate and cruise set at 75 and 80 depending on speed limit.

Back