• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Smokey Bear 🐻 Cloudcroft NM Ride, Annual Ride Reports

There is no reroute. Also, your map that you posted is not accurate. There are pockets of private land all through the Sacramento portion of the Lincoln National Forest. I have been riding these trails, (and many others that are long gone) for almost 30 years. The "A" trail starts at West side Road (90). It is 5 miles down, promise. To put 13 miles in perspective, that is about how far the distance is on the highway between Alamogordo and Cloudcroft. Now, if you start at the very top of the mountain and roll down the Switchbacks or any of the other ways to get to West Side road, you could be at 13 miles total.

Here is an accurate map. T119 is the "A" trail.
1595523896361.png

Last edited:
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Winer
Any issues traveling in NM regarding Covid? I heard they have some supposed restrictions for out of state travelers

First Name
Sander
None.
We limited contacted, stayed out of populated areas, (only drove through 3 small towns) and followed the state guidelines the few times in public.

Last edited:

Vinny

Forum Supporter
First Name
Vinny
The end of Heart Attack is missing 😂😂. Looks narrow on video. Alamo peak had more growth and less baby heads than I remember.
Glad the trip happened for you guys.

bwdmax

Forum Supporter
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Turner
What’s the story with the tubliss on xr4 front?

First Name
Sander
Tire issue, not Tubliss. Punctuated a Pirelli MT16 with 6 1/2 ride days on it.

I learned when you flat a Tubliss to stop immediately, with a tire with a soft sidewall. I was looking for a good spot to plug it, and rode a couple of hundred yards more that did some damage. 2 initial plugs and 1 more on Benson Ridge got me back to the cabin without having to limp along.

Nice to have 2x shop options 16 miles away to buy a new front tire.

Tire issue, not Tubliss. Punctuated a Pirelli MT16 with 6 1/2 ride days on it.

I learned when you flat a Tubliss to stop immediately, with a tire with a soft sidewall. I was looking for a good spot to plug it, and rode a couple of hundred yards more that did some damage. 2 initial plugs and 1 more on Benson Ridge got me back to the cabin without having to limp along.

Nice to have 2x shop options 16 miles away to buy a new front tire.
I thought that was the whole point of tubliss, that you could run it all the way down to 0 psi. I was riding with a guy out there a few years ago that had a front flat with tubliss and rode 20 miles back to my cabin including up to70mph on Sunspot hwy with no issues. I guess it depends on the tire.