• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Smokey Bear šŸ» Cloudcroft NM Ride, Annual Ride Reports

Good research Jim!

Good we got to see the rest of the site.
"The Mule Peak Instrumentation Site was identified as a National Register of Historic Places eligible Historic District in 2015. The removal of the telescope for preservation is part of an agreement between the U.S. Army Garrison at WSMR and the New Mexico Historic Preservation Division to offset the upcoming demolition of the remaining structures at Mule Peak."

Day 3 of the 13th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride - Wednesday, July 28, 2021

DSC03911.JPG

DSC03913.JPG

DSC03915.JPG

DSC03916.JPG

DSC03918.JPG

DSC03922.JPG

DSC03923.JPG

DSC03925.JPG

DSC03927.JPG

DSC03929.JPG

Last edited:
Yā€™all put so much effort into capturing good photos and videos for us all to enjoy so I really want to say thank you for everything. Loved it.

Heart Attack Hill was a highlight for me with a caveat.

Steep loamy steps means you can let your motor sing! Until you lose momentum.

7095BBE4-2F00-4764-9C22-B1D7B80FC9D3.jpeg

4D18C390-48F2-4750-AAB4-909F2F2B712A.jpeg

Fortunately no leak just a bent bracket.

2022 information

14th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride

Cloudcroft, New Mexico
Lincoln National Forest

Ride Goals
I want to invite others to come out and ride for three reasons, (other than to meet new riding friends).

1. The trails need more riding in. If we don't use the trails we risk losing access.
2. More riders over a short period of time will demonstrate the positive economic impact of motorcyclists responsibly using National Forest land.
3. Although there is no cost to participate in the ride I would like to make a group donation to the Cloudcroft EMS to give back and further motorcyclists cause as a responsible user group; the amount is whatever each rider feels is appropriate. The short ceremony to make the donation will be at the pre-ride gathering the Spruce Cabins on Monday morning. 2021 donation information.

2022 Ride Days:
Monday, July 25 -
EMS donation @ the pre-ride gathering & Acclamation Day
Tuesday, July 26 - Exploration Day
Wednesday, July 27 - Hero Day
Thursday, July 28 - Rediscover Day
Friday, July 29 - Safety Day

Unofficial Gatherings

Nightly at the Spruce Cabins
Saturday, July 23 thur Friday, July 29 - Cooking out, story telling, socializing, ride planning, etc.

Pre-ride dinner
Sunday, July 24 @ 630p - Cloudcroft Brewing Company

Post-ride banquet
Friday, July 29 @ 630p - Ski Cloudcroft *BYOB

History of the ride.
It started as the New Mexico 400 in 2009. One report from 2011.

Later the ride under went a name change to the current name.

The ride headquarters is the Spruce Cabins.
For 2022 at the Spruce Cabins, mention "Smokey Bear Ride" and receive a 5% discount, and a FREE night if you book 5 nights or more.

There are many short term rentals in town, as well as camping opportunities, cabins and two motels. And the historic Lodge.

Cloudcroft Chamber of Commerce
Sorry to have missed it this year. Already have 2022 on the calendar!

So I guess the strategy is, put it on autopilot (don't overthink), pin it and hope you wake up at the top?šŸ˜†

Not too far above the end of the video that Mudclod posted, the trail takes a hard left where you have to scoot by a fallen tree (I assume it is still there, but have not ridden it this year). That is your landmark that it is fixin' to get real. :rider:
Right above that the trail takes a hard right and goes basically straight up the fall line. No switchbacks etc. Because it is a straight line, it is eroded pretty bad and that makes it way more difficult. Over the years it has been fixed several times, and gravel has been added as well as erosion humps to try and stop the damage from water that runs straight down when it rains.

The idiots I ride with think it is fun to go to the top, turn around and ride it back to where the hard part starts, and then turn around and ride it back up. I hate riding it down worse than going up. At the top though is one of my favorite places to rest and relax in the whole forest. Large meadow on top of a mountain with big trees to sit up against and rest while you wait for the poor souls stuck trying to get up the hill. :lol2:

Overall the 13th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride was the best yet.

Great group of riders! And group leaders.
No major mishaps, not even any flats. A few bent front wheels though.
Keith and Gilbert got the donations aspect restarted!
A little rain, easily avoidable meant little to no dust.
Lots of camaraderie, friendships renewed and made.

It's like Dirt Bike Summer Camp.

Already planning for 2022. Cabin booked.

First time attempting heart attack was with a group back during draught of 2010. Couple of us made it up within a couple hundred yards of the top and then buried the rear wheel in loose scree. Just no traction to even get restarted. Coming down was a real hoot too. Locked rear brake would slide bout like freewheeling but then the rear end would try to swap with the front ever so often. A good time was had by all. :nono: Couple years ago the dirt was perfect. Like a whole different place. Went down...turned around and went back up. Still I was huffing like a steam engine near the top. Good name for that hill.

Wow, as of tonight, it's still raining in New Mexico
What's up with that ? Headed there Wed. Hope it settles down a bit. As long as I get out of this heat I'll be happy. Riding will be a bonus.

What's up with that ? Headed there Wed. Hope it settles down a bit. As long as I get out of this heat I'll be happy. Riding will be a bonus.
Vinny,
We have had rain here in CC the last month and a half, the amounts being historically unusual. The desert mountains on the east side coming in are completely green. I can't remember seeing it quite like this and I have been coming up 30 years. I lost a huge Aspen tree in my front yard that just fell over because the ground was so saturated. I cut it up so I could get up my drive way but I have not hauled it off yet.

It is supposed to rain all weekend and it already rained like crazy again yesterday. Even the dry washes in the desert have been running. Cloudcroft has what we call monsoon season in July and August, which is generally afternoon thunderstorms, but this weather is more than that. Some of the full time residents have reported rain totals over 25 inches in the last 30 days.

Have fun up there.

Hmmm, should I go to red river or sipapu instead ? Probably the same I suppose.

Vinny,
We have had rain here in CC the last month and a half, the amounts being historically unusual. The desert mountains on the east side coming in are completely green. I can't remember seeing it quite like this and I have been coming up 30 years. I lost a huge Aspen tree in my front yard that just fell over because the ground was so saturated. I cut it up so I could get up my drive way but I have not hauled it off yet.

It is supposed to rain all weekend and it already rained like crazy again yesterday. Even the dry washes in the desert have been running. Cloudcroft has what we call monsoon season in July and August, which is generally afternoon thunderstorms, but this weather is more than that. Some of the full time residents have reported rain totals over 25 inches in the last 30 days.

Have fun up there.
WOW!

Vinny,

Have fun up there.
Decided to go to Angel Fire. Will ride MTB downhill at the ski resort and then explore trails towards Sipapu on the electric bikes and 350.

Back