• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Smokey Bear šŸ» Cloudcroft NM Ride, Annual Ride Reports

There is no reroute. Also, your map that you posted is not accurate. There are pockets of private land all through the Sacramento portion of the Lincoln National Forest. I have been riding these trails, (and many others that are long gone) for almost 30 years. The "A" trail starts at West side Road (90). It is 5 miles down, promise. To put 13 miles in perspective, that is about how far the distance is on the highway between Alamogordo and Cloudcroft. Now, if you start at the very top of the mountain and roll down the Switchbacks or any of the other ways to get to West Side road, you could be at 13 miles total.

Here is an accurate map. T119 is the "A" trail.
1595523896361.png

Last edited:
Any issues traveling in NM regarding Covid? I heard they have some supposed restrictions for out of state travelers

None.
We limited contacted, stayed out of populated areas, (only drove through 3 small towns) and followed the state guidelines the few times in public.

Last edited:
The end of Heart Attack is missing šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. Looks narrow on video. Alamo peak had more growth and less baby heads than I remember.
Glad the trip happened for you guys.

Whatā€™s the story with the tubliss on xr4 front?

Tire issue, not Tubliss. Punctuated a Pirelli MT16 with 6 1/2 ride days on it.

I learned when you flat a Tubliss to stop immediately, with a tire with a soft sidewall. I was looking for a good spot to plug it, and rode a couple of hundred yards more that did some damage. 2 initial plugs and 1 more on Benson Ridge got me back to the cabin without having to limp along.

Nice to have 2x shop options 16 miles away to buy a new front tire.

Changed thread title to Smokey Bear šŸ» Cloudcroft NM Ride, Annual Ride Reports

Last edited:
Tire issue, not Tubliss. Punctuated a Pirelli MT16 with 6 1/2 ride days on it.

I learned when you flat a Tubliss to stop immediately, with a tire with a soft sidewall. I was looking for a good spot to plug it, and rode a couple of hundred yards more that did some damage. 2 initial plugs and 1 more on Benson Ridge got me back to the cabin without having to limp along.

Nice to have 2x shop options 16 miles away to buy a new front tire.
I thought that was the whole point of tubliss, that you could run it all the way down to 0 psi. I was riding with a guy out there a few years ago that had a front flat with tubliss and rode 20 miles back to my cabin including up to70mph on Sunspot hwy with no issues. I guess it depends on the tire.

Thread resurrection!!

I'm guessing the 2021 event is still a go? I've been looking for a thread for it, but haven't seen one. Anyway, if it's still a go, I think I will be heading to New Mexico on the 25th. But I will most likely have to leave a day early, the 29th or 30th, because one of my daughters is going away to the Air Force and I want to be there for her going away party on August 1.

If I go, it will be with a toy hauler. I have room to take an additional bike in my trailer if anyone is interested. And sleeping space in the camper. Let me know if anyone is interested.

A couple weeks ago a fellow TWT member from San Antonio sent me a pm regarding Cloudcroft. Somehow I have lost all contact info. If you see this please holler!

Screenshot_20210407-171142.png

13th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride
Cloudcroft, New Mexico
Lincoln National Forest

2021 Ride Days:
Monday, July 26 - Acclamation Day
Tuesday, July 27 - Regular Day
Wednesday, July 28 - Hero Day
Thursday, July 29 - Regular Day
Friday, July 30 - Safety Day

The 2021 Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride is a no host, no sign up, no commitments, no routes, unofficial event.
Just show up; ride when you want, where you want, with whom you want, how you want.

As with the Adventure Rider Breakfast Series, just an excuse for like minded individuals to meet up and share the experience, for this ride, mountain dual sporting.
This is plenty of adventure terrain as well, in fact the NMBDR goes through town.

Groups normally depart from the upper circle at the www.sprucecabins.com ready to ride, around 9a each day.
Look for the banner.
IMG_20210706_182535.jpg

It is suggested riders group up based on:
  • Technical desire
  • Expected pace
  • Hours to ride
  • Bike size
  • Range
  • Etc.
Similarity of ride goals equals more fun for each rider.

My group will take a lunch break in the woods about 1p each ride day, I usually bring a sandwich and a snack.

Unofficial Gatherings
Pre-ride dinner
Sunday, July 25 @ 630p - Cloudcroft Brewing Company

Taco Tuesday
Tuesday, July 27 @ 630p - Western Bar & Cafe *note cash only

Post-ride banquet
Friday, July 30 @ 630p - Ski Cloudcroft *BYOB

Download the Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) for the Sacramento District.
Or pick up a hard copy at the forest service office - Sacramento District 4 Lost Lodge Rd. Cloudcroft, NM 88317 575-682-2551

Videos

Last edited:
img_20210706_182535-jpg.jpg

Nice !!

I got the V-Strom all cleaned up and strapped in to the trailer.
Time to go out and sweat again and empty the pickup and clean the rugs. Bringing prince Charles again and he wouldn't approve of riding in a ratty pickup at allIMG_20210202_170904316_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Hint, I just downloaded the entire Lincoln national forest and Alamogordo New Mexico area in Google maps app offline maps.

Bikes all loaded up for an early departure tomorrow morning. Weā€™ll get as far as we get, and will boondock in the forest tomorrow night and check in at the RV park Sunday at noon.

Back