• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Snow / fog

Janet

Reaction score
First Name
Janet
This was taken before dawn in the fog this morning. It is a little grainy due to the low light and point - and - shoot camera.
Thoughts?

2 versions...

DSC00851.jpg

DSC00850.jpg

and

edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, natural black and white photo. I like the 1st bridge but the 2nd ain't bad either. The tree looks like a miniature. Cool shot. I ain't no expert but I know what I like. This ain't bad with a point and shot.

I really like them all, but especially the tree. I think it is the contrast. It would be a really cool pic if the house were not there and the snow in the foreground continued out of focus into the background, like if the tree were out in a field. I like the lighting as well.

The bridge shots make me think of old photos, like what might be found in a museum or library. I prefer the second with the tighter shot of the bridge and less of the distracting background.

Thanks, the tree is actually in front of a bank. The light source is a flood light that is directly over the tree just out frame. Here is the original.

20563_1293035258811_1618183182_7790.jpg

I was using my bike camera. (Called the bike camera because I can stick it in a pocket or tank bag...). Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150 8.1, with Carl Zeiss lens.

Last edited:
$shooter, not to beat on you, but this is a "critique my photo thread" not a "share pictures" thread. I know it's easy to miss if you don't notice the sub-forum category it's in.

Janet,
I really like the 3rd pic. Nice job of getting rid of the telephone pole. As Scott suggested, might be fun to "x" out the roof, too, although there's something about it I like.

Have you tried converting the first 2 pics to b&w? I like the crop/comp on the 2nd one better--maybe lighten it up a little.

I will try it Gary. I didn't want to take out too much and risk messing it up.

:clap: I like it. But, then I like B&W when it enhances the focus on shapes and/or textures.

Janet,
Very nice. :clap:

I like the B&W bridge #2 and how it turned out. As for the tree, I figured something was up with the volume of light necessary to pull that off. Then I saw the original and thought "oh, you sneaky devil you...." :trust:

Like Dave, I know what I like and I like 'em!

Maybe take the bridge to a light sepia and that 'old fashioned' crinkle look????

Sneaky, sneaky! I really like the tree with the artificial light.

The bridge is a good candidate for true B&W but unfortunately your image appears to be underexposed and a bit "muddy".

Back