• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

So Big Brother is coming, in new technology.

... That said, I don't view the technology itself as being bad. But I do see it as a tool for further oppressing individual liberty. As the technology advances, so to will the ability to use it as aggression. The world's population has more than doubled just in my lifetime. With more population density comes less freedom and more mass control of individual behavior. IMO, that's what is happening in the EU right now, and this particular issue is just a small part of it.

Same can be said for guns. I do believe if technology was as prevalent in 1789 as it is today, there would have been a 13th amendment guaranteeing rights of access to information and technology. Instead we have a bunch of hodge-podge laws which often countermand each other. There is plenty of yelling and screaming about undermining our constitutional right to bear arms, but virtually nothing about access to information and technology. The phrase 'pen is mightier than the sword' comes to mind.

The world's population has more than doubled just in my lifetime. With more population density comes less freedom and more mass control of individual behavior. IMO, that's what is happening in the EU right now, and this particular issue is just a small part of it.

I think this part is spot on. Sadly the days of moving into the wilderness to hack out a living along with personal freedom are gone. People want the benefits of living in a society that creates opportunities like motorcycle travel, but often chafe when that same society tells them they can't drive over a certain speed. Maybe some day we'll get off of this rock, but then any freedom we would expect in another place with fewer people will be managed by the company that put us there.

They are then at the mercy of those that DO have control over it.

Become that person.

Meh. I have enough trouble trying to run my own life. I certainly don't need to be trying to run the lives of other people... :suicide:

I used to think I wanted to be in politics so that I could be like Bernie Sanders and help folks who needed help. At 20 I was saying "look out in 2020, I might run!" as that's the first year I'd be age-eligible. Now? I want no part of it. The amount of pain suffered to try and help folks (try, no guarantee of success) is just too danged high. It's a sad truth of our modern world- only those getting paid to endure it by special interests seem willing to do so.

It isn't terribly rewarding. It's almost a calling, but most of the people I met were genuinely interested in helping their constituents.
I get that, but it has been my observation that even the most well intentioned ones eventually get shaped by the twisted process of surviving in that environment.
It pains me to see that, what appears to be a majority of people are willing to give up so much of their freedoms for a pocketful of promises and good intentions.
Most of those freedoms were won at great cost, to see them given up so cheaply, mostly without even a struggle really bothers me.
I guess I'm just old, but I didn't think that would happen so fast either.

I used to think I wanted to be in politics so that I could be like Bernie Sanders and help folks who needed help. At 20 I was saying "look out in 2020, I might run!" as that's the first year I'd be age-eligible. Now? I want no part of it. The amount of pain suffered to try and help folks (try, no guarantee of success) is just too danged high. It's a sad truth of our modern world- only those getting paid to endure it by special interests seem willing to do so.

There are MANY ways to help people without resorting to the brute force approach of government ;-)

Yeah, but working with Habitat for Humanity and the like, the only impact I have are my hammer swings. I figured that government could provide a bigger hammer that might yield more impact. ;)

I'd never read their financials before. You're right, we could pony up more than $16.2 million out of 315 million revenues and gains for such a worthy cause. They are building houses for La Grange flood victims now.

Anyway, the thread has veered off topic for me so I'm out. Enjoyed the chat.

m

Don't forget the older folks. Auto driving cars could be a great thing for them by letting them be more self reliant , good for you younger folks by getting them from behind the wheel.

Don't forget the older folks. Auto driving cars could be a great thing for them by letting them be more self reliant , good for you younger folks by getting them from behind the wheel.
That's a really good point actually, I guess it goes for the blind/disabled too.

While I love the idea of being able to nap on my way to/from work in a self driving car, I like having the freedom to do as I please. An ideal scenario for me is one where self driving car services are available but I still have a vehicle of my own.

It’s be a real hassle having to install my kid’s car seat in whatever self driving car happened to pick me up that day. Then I’d have to remove it and find something to do with it while we do whatever we’re doing. Lugging a car seat around the zoo, aquarium, or park would build some muscle though, so maybe it’d make a good fitness plan.

I always thought we had self driving cars. I call it a "bus". And that's the closest I'll ever come to it.
And where is the closest bus stop to your house? The Grand Parkway park and ride? :)

It’s be a real hassle having to install my kid’s car seat in whatever self driving car happened to pick me up that day. Then I’d have to remove it and find something to do with it while we do whatever we’re doing. Lugging a car seat around the zoo, aquarium, or park would build some muscle though, so maybe it’d make a good fitness plan.
Ideally they would have them built in, or when you request a vehicle, you request one with car seats?

If we did the research, I think we might be surprised at just how many people are totally on board with self-driving cars becoming the norm. After all, most aren't disciplined enough even to resist texting while driving and already view their cars as appliances, rather than vehicles to be actively piloted. I bet a lot of folks would be keen on the idea of just being able to kick back and surf Instagram or Twitter during their commutes. People have long been willing to exchange free action for comfort, and this will likely be no exception.

I've also seen multiple sources discussing the younger generation's relative lack of interest in driving. They're much more interested in technology - video games, the latest smart phones, etc. Kids are waiting much later or not even getting driver's licenses. Marketing people apparently believe it. The ads I see for new cars are all about style and technology. Just yesterday I was really struck by a two-page add for Honda Civics that talked about style, Apple CarPlay, AndroidAuto (or whatever it is they call theirs), multi-device and wi-fi capability, etc., with not a single mention of what I would consider to be "car stuff". As Bob Dylan said, "The times they are a-chaingin'"

I've also seen multiple sources discussing the younger generation's relative lack of interest in driving. They're much more interested in technology - video games, the latest smart phones, etc. Kids are waiting much later or not even getting driver's licenses. Marketing people apparently believe it. The ads I see for new cars are all about style and technology. Just yesterday I was really struck by a two-page add for Honda Civics that talked about style, Apple CarPlay, AndroidAuto (or whatever it is they call theirs), multi-device and wi-fi capability, etc., with not a single mention of what I would consider to be "car stuff". As Bob Dylan said, "The times they are a-chaingin'"

In all fairness we’re talking about a Civic...there’s not really much “car stuff” to talk about.

daimlerdrivernotdrivingbig.jpg

ea_53164094aff9e9b9e1241b089a8e65d7_2_social_large.jpg

orq2czwvtlyy1wwh4az4.jpg

I’m all for it , anything sold in the last few years has an avarge of a 10 year live span then it’s scrap metal when the computer can’t be updated any more . All these old mechanical junkers setting around my yard will be worth thousands of dollars when nothing but self driving computers are out there . It’s already happening in the yellow iron world . Since all construction equipment went fully computerized the 20 and 30 year old machines are bringing 3 to 4 times as much as some I bought 15 years ago . Farmer brown that lives down a dirt road will not be able to drive his new pickup home , he will have to leave it out at the highway and drive an old truck down his dirt road .

My dad just sold a 40 year old dozer for $20k. Not much time on it and he kept it in the barn when not in use. He paid $6k for it about 15 years ago.

Back