• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

So I bought a Ducati, How could that be bad?

OldTLSDoug

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I am starting this thread to document the fixes I do on my 2006 Ducati Multistrada 1000S DS.

The following is on the current list waiting on parts to arrive:

• Replace fork seals
  • Change oil
  • Bleed rear caliper, should be fun need to take off wheel raise caliper in the air and such, will be painful, Mitch won't be happy.
  • Bleed/Flush front brakes as well since I will be messing about in there.
  • Install new Sargent World seat....hee hee.
  • Check over the whole scooter while she is out of service.
  • May pull the rear shock to assess/clean to decide if she needs a rebuild, I have doubts since it works so well, but it does need a bump stop and a good cleaning.
  • Probably balance the wheels since they will be off the bike.
I can't do the fork seals until I get them. I can change oil and bleed all the brakes. Seat should be in within a week or two. Mostly I get to sit and stare at her. The old KTMs need to be inspected and registered this month. All comes due quickly.

It's always happy days at PPSS ....

You got the old 2 valve motor. It isn't any more difficult than any other bike to work on. I never had to replace the valve shims on the closing side. The cam belts are easy, I don't know why anyone worries about them.

I had a 1998 916 and can vouch for two things. That Ducati was easy to work on and that Ducati needed to be worked on a lot!

You like working on bikes.

Ducati's need to be worked on constantly.

Sounds like a match made in heaven.
I had a 1998 916 and can vouch for two things. That Ducati was easy to work on and that Ducati needed to be worked on a lot!
Y'alls experiences are different from mine. I bet once Doug works through his list (not much different from any older bike that's been neglected), he'll have a pretty reliable bike to enjoy.

You know this one has been well maintained, the stuff wrong with it is just bad luck/wear items. I still feel like this one isn't much trouble at all, reference my Strom (second one) and the SMR. Those kept me busy, but the SMR is one of the best bikes ever, I think the Multistrada is in the hunt. I plan to keep it. That seat will make her perfect.

img_6259-jpg.jpg

More over here, click then scroll down.

The two valve air cooled is much more reliable than the engine in the 916.

Good luck with it. My last Ducati (2017 1200S Multistrada) was a total nightmare. Too bad because I really liked riding the bike. The entire wiring harness was junk and only 2 years old. Out of warranty of course. They told me I could trade it in on a newer model, but my trade value would be reduced. What?

I have owned 4 Ducatis. No more for me.

Good luck with it. My last Ducati (2017 1200S Multistrada) was a total nightmare. Too bad because I really liked riding the bike. The entire wiring harness was junk and only 2 years old. Out of warranty of course. They told me I could trade it in on a newer model, but my trade value would be reduced. What?

I have owned 4 Ducatis. No more for me.
I've owned a few. '93 900SS, '96 900CR, 95 M900 and a '96 916. The Monster was the most reliable of the bunch. The others were a love/hate relationship. Love 'em when they work, hate 'em when they don't. But I don't regret owning any of them. I learned a lot about wrenching during those years! :)

I always viewed Ducati ownership the same as dating a supermodel. They are gorgeous and make you feel like a hero when you're out in public, but the maintenance costs behind closed doors can make a man cry.

Parts are in, work starts in PPSS at 0900. Might need a short break for a toy purchase (outside scope of thread) but we should be riding tomorrow. I think that if you don't like to fiddle with scooters you shouldn't buy the ones that make you do it. Of course, quite a few of mine have been fiddly, that is one of the main attractions for me. Riding and fixing is great. Probably the most difficult of mine was the 2007 Aprilia SXV550 that I loved, but on average, cost about $100-$200 in repairs for almost every ride. I popped 5 oil seals between oil pumps that made the dry sump pump into the engine and out of the breather to the wheel. Sorted on the 6th change. Lots of little fiddly issues, but I loved that bike so much. Put a $2500 engine in her that really made her rock. But she hurt you when she could.

IMG_1099.jpg

I am starting this thread to document the fixes I do on my 2006 Ducati Multistrada 1000S DS.

The following is on the current list waiting on parts to arrive:

• Replace fork seals
  • Change oil
  • Bleed rear caliper, should be fun need to take off wheel raise caliper in the air and such, will be painful, Mitch won't be happy.
  • Bleed/Flush front brakes as well since I will be messing about in there.
  • Install new Sargent World seat....hee hee.
  • Check over the whole scooter while she is out of service.
  • May pull the rear shock to assess/clean to decide if she needs a rebuild, I have doubts since it works so well, but it does need a bump stop and a good cleaning.
  • Probably balance the wheels since they will be off the bike.
I can't do the fork seals until I get them. I can change oil and bleed all the brakes. Seat should be in within a week or two. Mostly I get to sit and stare at her. The old KTMs need to be inspected and registered this month. All comes due quickly.
Holy cow that is nice. Can't wait to see it in person.

So, how did our first day of Duc maintenance go? Well great, with some complications. First up, it seems when the previous owner was charged for 2 fork seal changes, only one side was done at the Dealer. Also the upper triple had been overtorqued and wasn't tight because they broke the tab and finally one of the legs has a big scratch from the same dealer on the leg they actually changed. Go figure. Do your own work, you will get better results.

Mitch took a few pics for me....

First up the scratch on the leg.

IMG_6340.JPG

Next, Mr. Broken Triple Clamp

IMG_6343.JPG

IMG_6344.JPG

Bike in a state of disassembled rest, with cleaning...lots of cleaning

IMG_6345.JPG

IMG_6346.JPG

IMG_6347.JPG

IMG_6349.JPG

IMG_6351.JPG

IMG_6350.JPG

IMG_6352.JPG

And of course I got a new tool, a nice adjustable pin spanner.

IMG_6353.JPG

So, the only real damage is the upper triple, ordered from Ducati, should be in within two weeks, then ship to me. Since it was already broken, I have been riding it like that since I bought it. Very annoying to have this kind of stuff on a high end scooter. I talked to the previous owner to ensure he knows the kind of work he had done for his huge amount of money and said I would help him with his 2016 bike maintenance so he can stay away from his dealer. Make sure you look at what they did to your bike and ask for old parts and stuff. If they don't have them it should raise a flag. So, one idea is to tell them you want to see the parts they repaired/replaced. If that is going to be a problem for them, maybe you should go elsewhere.

Be careful out there.

Parts are in, work starts in PPSS at 0900. Might need a short break for a toy purchase (outside scope of thread) but we should be riding tomorrow. I think that if you don't like to fiddle with scooters you shouldn't buy the ones that make you do it. Of course, quite a few of mine have been fiddly, that is one of the main attractions for me. Riding and fixing is great. Probably the most difficult of mine was the 2007 Aprilia SXV550 that I loved, but on average, cost about $100-$200 in repairs for almost every ride. I popped 5 oil seals between oil pumps that made the dry sump pump into the engine and out of the breather to the wheel. Sorted on the 6th change. Lots of little fiddly issues, but I loved that bike so much. Put a $2500 engine in her that really made her rock. But she hurt you when she could.

View attachment 296565
Pretty bike, Sound like a trouble expensive date

This is just a bump in the road, just sad I can't be riding her around right now. I am enjoying the access to clean the years of grime off of her. She should be looking pretty good when I am done. Luckily I have time and space to do this stuff and I enjoy it. I always like to get a bit of a gimpy scooter so I can learn about it before I get far from home and break it. LOL.

At the end of the day, I am glad I can fix this stuff relatively easily. I am going to see if I can JB Weld the upper triple and hope that works. We shall see.

Back