• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

So I bought a Ducati, How could that be bad?

You whoop my *** and make me look like a fool on the track, I gotta get my jabs in when I can. ;)

I got the Ducati Diag software to connect and installed drivers for the cable and it worked. Without having to call you! I have grown...

This is just a bump in the road, just sad I can't be riding her around right now. I am enjoying the access to clean the years of grime off of her. She should be looking pretty good when I am done. Luckily I have time and space to do this stuff and I enjoy it. I always like to get a bit of a gimpy scooter so I can learn about it before I get far from home and break it. LOL.

At the end of the day, I am glad I can fix this stuff relatively easily. I am going to see if I can JB Weld the upper triple and hope that works. We shall see.
There are several triple clamps on eBay all under 200,

Dang! I wanted to get a new one and didn't even look at ebay. Maybe I can cancel it. But, it is an upgraded part with a new number, so Ducati had reason to change it. But I will go look, thanks.

Worked on a little bit of stuff this morning. Apparently it will cost me a couple of hundred to get the service light reset. I chose freedom. For $42.00 I bought the JPDiag software and cable package off of Amazon. Registered it and got a license (Free) and reset the wrench, so happy.

IMG_6367.JPG

Hooked up

IMG_6363.JPG

IMG_6362.JPG

IMG_6376.JPG

IMG_6377.JPG

Then we start the program and connect to the ECU

IMG_6365.JPG

Select Tests/Reset and click service reset

IMG_6368.JPG

And as they say, "Bob's your uncle"! Was pretty easy relative to taking it to the dealer.

IMG_6375.JPG

Then while I was there I removed the passenger seat and pegs, all the ugly reflectors and cleaned a little more. Pretty fun, waiting for parts may make me tired, probably hope I get the seat at the same time as the upper triple, that would be sweet.

IMG_6378.JPG

Didn't seem to affect us in 2006 and my 2021 KTM wasn't affected either, seems the US car makers have the issues.

Anyway, I got the upper triple or steering head, as Ducati calls it, ordered from Houston on ebay for $92.00 shipped! Woo Hoo! And! AMS Ducati allowed me to cancel the $346.00 order I had for a new one. I also torqued all the functioning fork fasteners to 22 n-m (16.2 ft-lbs) per Mr. Workshop Manual that I downloaded. I wanted the proper service manual, I don't have the 2006 manual that covers the 1000 S so I ordered that from Ducati. Apparently, if you want an "Honest to God" Ducati service manual, nowadays you order the USB drive with the year range including your bike. So I had to buy 1988-2008 to get mine. So they got the triple clamp money back since I get 20 yrs of full factory service manuals for all the ducati's each year at $18.45 per year. It might be better to look at it by how many bikes I will have manuals for, but it is pretty pricey.

Going to put the front together tonight or tomorrow, the Sargent Seat shipped today, as did the triple. So hopefully I will be back in the saddle early next week. Still got to bleed the rear brake and change the oil, but that shouldn't be too time consuming.

Looking forward to getting her back out with a really comfy seat. Maybe I won't need any more bikes.....honest!

IMG_6265.JPG

Maybe I won't need any more bikes.....honest!
Remember at the MotoGP races when you, me, and Diana were walking along and you were telling me about your new bike, and you said "I won't mod this one much" and remember how me and Diana laughed our butts off at that? That's how I'm laughing now.

If you are replacing the seat maybe hold off on too much reassembly. Im sure you are aware but just in case it requires the tank and everything to come off to get to the seat.

Yep I am getting ready to check stuff, but the valves are due to check and other stuff and it says to change the fuel filter too and air filter, so yes, Mr. Tank is coming off.

So in response to the shop comments. I do feel bad for you, but the scratch is still functional. Most importantly, I don't care if a customer wants there old parts back, but be up front with it. I normally hold on to them until the bike is picked up, but asking for old parts should not be a surprise. If it has been a couple weeks, they could have been tossed for room around my work area. The only caveat is I can show you warranty parts, but we have to hold on to them for 90 days. If factory does not ask for them back, they have to be destroyed.

I would think you needn't ask at most places since I like to think they are all honest. But clearly, since this is the third or more bike I have experienced with these sorts of problems from the same dealer, I would watch them. I also agree if I want to see what came off I need to say so up front. But, nobody likes sloppy work on their scooter. I hate it even more when someone does that to folks after giving them a 1900 dollar shop bill.

Back to the bike. Mitch and I rode to Cleburne to R&K for breakfast, not too bad. Had about 60 miles on my little 890, great morning. Then we came over here and I got him to help with front end assembly and bleeding the rear brake. The rear wheel was Hella tight and I broke her loose with my electric Kobalt 350 ft-lb plus impact. I hate using that on scooters, but there you go. Came off no damage, now she is torqued to 131 ft-lbs (177 n-m) as specified by Ducati. We had a little trouble getting the air out of the caliper, we tried standard bleeding and couldn't get it. Then I hooked up my vacuum can and it worked after about 3-4 full reservoirs. Then we finished her up and now it is a rock solid rear with freshly flushed fluid. Nice Motorex 5.1. Will do the front shortly. Needs pads and I have ordered them so that will be her shortly.

Decided to try out my new HDESA Single-sided Swingarm Wheel Balance Balancing Truing Stand Adapter Tool to see how the wheel ran on my balancer. Spun her up and she was 25 grams light opposite the weights on the wheel (4 7 gm weights). So I ended up pulling all 4 off and she is 5 grams off. Nice, most folks don't rebalance after 1000 miles but hey, I had the wheel off.

So looking at Mr. List:
  • Replace fork seals
  • Change oil ready to go, just need to do it.
  • Bleed rear caliper
  • Bleed/Flush front brakes
  • Install new Sargent World seat....has shipped awaiting arrival
  • Check over the whole scooter while she is out of service still working this one.
  • May pull the rear shock decided to do this in the winter and service the shock.
  • Probably balance the wheels
  • Reset Maintenance light
  • Check fuel tank/fuel pump gaskets
  • change fuel filter
  • check valve clearance
  • inspect timing belts and tension
This will complete the 18k maintenance (I am at 17454) and then I can buy timing belts to change at 24k. So I will be good for 12k with another oil change and valve clearance check thrown in. Pretty soon we will be riding blissfully along. Woo Hoo!

Back