• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

So my girlfriend wanted to get a bike...

That'll probably be a good bike but most of what I've read suggests 2021 in India.....so that would probably put us around 2022

Got some new bags installed:

I was thinking about getting the Lone Rider semi rigid bags but figured if I was to have the panniers on I’d probably be in a trip needed some extra ruggedness. Mosko came out with the Backcountry v2 some weeks ago and I really liked what I saw. Plus they sell them as an offset set for us BMW owners.

TANK BAG

Things I like:

+ The tank bag has molle webbing for some extra pouches. Thinking about getting a cellphone bag. Looking for a pouch for easy access to my garage door.
+ Tank bag can be transformed to a backpack.
+ Can add a a water bladder (included).
+ Feels very rigid with strong materials.
+ Compared to the Wolfman, it’s very compartmentalized. Lots of layers with tons of pouches, straps, hidden pockets, etc. (This can be a negative for some)
+ Comes with map pocket and rain cover.

Things I don’t like:

- The color (but it’s growing on me).
- No instructions
- I liked that the Woflman has extra arms to prevent the buckles from scratching the tank. I already did a tiny chip while installing this. Will need to get some xpeel to protect the area.
- I had the Wolfman rear ties tied under the seat. For the Mosko Moto you actually have to zip tie two buckles to the frame of the bike and have the straps on the sides.
- It doesn’t hug the tank like the Wolfman did.
- Front facing pockets. Need more time to see if this makes any difference.

SIDE BAGS

Things I like:

+ The quality. My Givi bags were pretty cool but these seem more rigid and more impact resistant.
+ Modularity. You can run them with no side 5L bags, plus molle everywhere.
+ A lot of tiny details that really make me appreciate the engineering of the bags.
+ Waterproof just like my Givi.
+ Easy on/off, however the Givi were lockable with key.

Things I don’t like:

- The color (lol)
- No instructions
- Had to buy the extra bracket for the GS but not their fault, really. They not only give you the bracket but some elongated pucks specifically needed for the GS on both sides.
- I couldnt find instructions of how to install the extra side pockets. Some guy in ADV Rider had to tell me how. Not easy, I wouldn’t say these are to take on/off.
- Left side doesn’t go in without the locking mechanism touching the passenger rail. Need to put a towel or something to prevent it from scratching.
- Need to buy a steel core strap or cable lock to securely lock them. New with the v2 is a steel bar that helps with this.

Have yet to test them out in the wild but seems like the go to bag for now.

Last edited:
I need to get a set of the MAMs. The Touratech covers that came with my bike couldn't even survive a zero speed parking lot tip over WITH crash bars installed :roll:

Latest updates of my bike (bikes a little dirty):

I bought a Puig touring windscreen + reinforcement brackets to help with the noise at speed. The air is definitely not hitting the top of my helmet like before but I’m not sure how noticeable of a difference it makes. I think I need better earplugs. When initially testing it, all the way up definitely felt hotter. The brackets stabilize the screen and definitely a must for all GS owners. Happy about the purchase, looks like stock, and the extra height felt like a mandatory upgrade for my next purchase.

Corbin seats. I had a good experience with the brand on the Versys so when it came time to get some touring seat for the GSA, I felt it was the right choice. I got the tall version, so it’ll make dirt riding a little more challenging since I can barely flat foot (if I put some effort), but figured it should be generally fine. There was a back and forth about this or the RDL, but ultimately decided the winglets are not good for "adventure" trips.

I just put it on it so I don’t have hands on experience yet, but feels better than the stock when testing it in the garage. It's heavy. Very heavy. If you care about that look somewhere else. The pan seems to be recycled. There's some holes and stuff that was probably used for something else, however the seat on top is perfect, I didn't notice anything wrong and it feels great.

I did have trouble getting it on the bike. I even called support and they just told me to use more force. Since I bought the seat I’ve read they don’t have the best customer support so I got a little anxious when I couldn’t get it in the bike, but with their advice I was able to get it on. Just don't call in the afternoon.

The extra height is great. Can’t wait to try it out on a ride, but the extra leg room makes my long legs fit better. We'll see how I fare in hills and stuff like that.

Went with carbon fiber leather and matte black vinyl sides. Black stitching.

Last edited:
Latest updates of my bike (bikes a little dirty):

View attachment 247065

I bought a Puig touring windscreen + reinforcement brackets to help with the noise at speed. The air is definitely not hitting the top of my helmet like before but I’m not sure how noticeable of a difference it makes. I think I need better earplugs. When initially testing it, all the way up definitely felt hotter. The brackets stabilize the screen and definitely a must for all GS owners. Happy about the purchase, looks like stock, and the extra height felt like a mandatory upgrade for my next purchase.

View attachment 247063

Corbin seats. I had a good experience with the brand on the Versys so when it came time to get some touring seat for the GSA, I felt it was the right choice. I got the tall version, so it’ll make dirt riding a little more challenging since I can barely flat foot (if I put some effort), but figured it should be generally fine. There was a back and forth about this or the RDL, but ultimately decided the winglets are not good for "adventure" trips.

I just put it on it so I don’t have hands on experience yet, but feels better than the stock when testing it in the garage. It's heavy. Very heavy. If you care about that look somewhere else. The pan seems to be recycled. There's some holes and stuff that was probably used for something else, however the seat on top is perfect, I didn't notice anything wrong and it feels great.

I did have trouble getting it on the bike. I even called support and they just told me to use more force. Since I bought the seat I’ve read they don’t have the best customer support so I got a little anxious when I couldn’t get it in the bike, but with their advice I was able to get it on. Just don't call in the afternoon.

The extra height is great. Can’t wait to try it out on a ride, but the extra leg room makes my long legs fit better. We'll see how I fare in hills and stuff like that.

Went with carbon fiber leather and matte black vinyl sides. Black stitching.

View attachment 247064
When are you thinking about going on the big tour...California? Canada? Looks like all this is leading up to something grand! :ponder:

Update on the seat:

By forcing in the main seat, I scratched the inner plastics under the seat. No big deal but annoying. Added some padding to prevent further damage.

Main issue was when I wanted to wash the bike and remove both seats. The passenger seat won’t come out. I tried force, no force, push one way or the other, couldn’t figure it out.

Later in the day went with CznBob to see if he could figure it out. We still couldn’t, unless we unscrewed the bolt attaching the hook to the seat. It looks like the hook doesn’t go a low as it should to let the unlocking mechanism work. So at this point I’m with a $300+ seat that needs a tool to remove. I think at this point I’m never getting a Corbin again.

Test ride was great with the seat, though. I figure out it’s not much taller than tall position on the OEM. Enough to give me more leg room but can still flat foot. I sense it’ll be a great seat. Brake in takes 2000 miles lol.

When are you thinking about going on the big tour...California? Canada? Looks like all this is leading up to something grand! :ponder:

Got to start small. Maybe Arkansas or Colorado. Next year.

Is the bag easy to add fuel with?

I unhook the front and move on to the seat. No big deal.

So at this point I’m with a $300+ seat that needs a tool to remove. I think at this point I’m never getting a Corbin again.
Sounds like a defect? I'd call 'em and at least give 'em a chance to fix / replace it...

I would definitely be calling Corbin about that!

That said, I am very happy with the fit, finish, and comfort of my Sargent World Sport seat on my GS. It is FAR better than the stock seat! It also doesn't weight any more than the stock seat.

I would definitely be calling Corbin about that!

That said, I am very happy with the fit, finish, and comfort of my Sargent World Sport seat on my GS. It is FAR better than the stock seat! It also doesn't weight any more than the stock seat.

Yeah in handsight I wish I had gone the Sargent route. Will try to call next week.

So, we picked this up today.

I got to ride it home. This was my first real experience with a thumper and it certainly feels night and day compared to the Versys.

My gf rode it around the neighborhood, and even thought she hadn’t ridden for months, she got used to the bike pretty quickly. She likes everything about the bike; the ergos (too cramped for me), the seat height, the looks, and the power delivery seems about what she needs to learn.

It was a blind purchase for her but seems to be a good one. She’s excited to ride more after the holidays. TJs had it on sale so she finally jumped on it.

Congrats, with that power to weight ratio, it seems like it will be a good first bike. It's the first one I've seen with less than my CRF250L Rally.

Still have the Versys as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats, with that power to weight ratio, it seems like it will be a good first bike. It's the first one I've seen with less than my CRF250L Rally.

Still have the Versys as well?

Yeah, I believe it’s exactly the kind of power she wanted.

Versys was sold some months ago.

So, we picked this up today.

Keep us updated on how she likes the Himalayan. I really like the look of the bike and what it is intended to do (not too fast but get you where you want over all types of terrain). Since the price is right (~ $5,000), I have considered purchasing one. My only hesitation has been Royal Enfield's past reputation of poor quality.

Congrats on the new bike!:clap:

My 2014 500cc Royal Enfield was the most reliable bike I ever owned . Think I put 11K miles on it as a backup bike. I want to check out the Himalayan 650 twin when it arrives.

but is she still your gf after the big switcheroo, which kind of even made sense, or do you now have two bikes and be looking for a female that rides to help with payments? Beautiful BMW!

but is she still your gf after the big switcheroo, which kind of even made sense, or do you now have two bikes and be looking for a female that rides to help with payments? Beautiful BMW!

Haha I’m the only one who put money for the GS, she had the little Versys for free! She bought this new bike with her money.

Back