• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

So my girlfriend wanted to get a bike...

Installed crash bars and then went for a night ride.

Heres my concern: I really suck mechanically and I donā€™t think thereā€™s even been an install that wasnā€™t challenging or I didnā€™t mess something up. This is no exception.

The installation guide mentions some torque specs for the bolts and I tried to follow directions and ended stripping a bolt. For the other it was specced at 65 n.m. and I decided to stop because it felt way too tight. The third one I didnā€™t even try to follow directions, I just tightened by feel. This is not the first time this happens, Iā€™m wondering if my torque wrench is busted or if thereā€™s some secret knowledge I lack.

We also needed to loosen the exhaust from the front and rear to make some space for one of the bolts. I have no idea if we got to reinstall it right. Once again, I have the torque specs but I decided to just tighten decently because at this point I had already stripped the other bolt. What would be a tell tale sign that the exhaust reinstall is wrong? Bike seemed to run fine, but it smelled a little like burning plastic. We couldnā€™t see anything burning, and I wonder if we only smelled that because we were really close to the motor and the bike is brand new. Yeah, a little paranoid but hopefully itā€™s fine.

Still loving the look of the RE! How does she like it so far?

I feel your pain with stripping bolts and using a torque wrench. For me (and I am not advocating this for everyone), I usually tighten to a comfortable "snugness" by feel only. I have two torque wrenches but it normally feels like I am over tightening when I follow the specs in the manual. I also use red locktite on bolts that I don't expect to removing anytime soon (such as your engine guards)

I can't offer much insight. When I started working on jetskis back in 2001, it was the first serious mechanical work I'd done and I was snapping bolts left and right. Over time I started getting a sense of how far I could go with each type of fastener. Towards the end of my jet ski modding phase, I had gotten decent at it, people were coming to me for advice and to work on their skis.

Then I moved on to riding, then working on, then ultimately building bicycles from the frame up. A lot of that carried over from jet skis. Kind of the same thing, at first I was goofing stuff up, then by the end, I was building bikes for friends and truing their wheels for them. Now with motorcycles, its very similar to jet skis just everything is much more accessible. But at this point, I don't enjoy working on them as much as I have with other stuff in the past. Although, I suspect I'll end up working on motorcycles more at some point as well. Just seems to be my natural progression.

I guess what I'm saying is you get a feel for it over time. Just invest in a good bolt extractor kit in the meantime :)

Still loving the look of the RE! How does she like it so far?

I donā€™t think we couldā€™ve picked a better bike for her. I love the look as well. So far sheā€™s only done rides with me, but sheā€™s been getting the urge to go ride on her own time. She almost did yesterday while I was at work haha.

Thanks for the opinions. I will follow by feel now, especially for small hex bolts.

Jorge you will get it, just don't stop wrenching

Heres what I do, but the more you wrench you will develop the feel...usually quickly

1. Blue Loctite (is your friend) where applicable on vibrating motorcycle bolts.
2. Hand thread all bolts first, do not tighten
3. Grasp wrench or socket tool near the bolt and tighten to yield. Will give good intermediate torque on the bolt.
4. Grasp wrench or socket tool near the opposite end of the tool for more leverage and tighten 1/8 to 1/4 a turn.

I think most bolts end up being over torqued most of the time. This is just a rule of thumb . Bolts are made of softer /harder metal and will stretch differently

This definitely does not apply to engine internals where torque specs are critical.

Also might I suggest, you go over as many bolts as you can on that Royal Enfield to ensure that they have all been properly tightened. Especially important stuff like the axle bolts and the kickstand. It sucks when stuff starts falling off the bike down the road.

Y'all are now the too-cool-for-school couple in Austin

1. Blue Loctite (is your friend) where applicable on vibrating motorcycle bolts.

I see from the Loctite website that red and blue are good to secure bolts. It seems red is a little more heavy duty so I have gone with that, but it does get a little messy / drippy sometimes. Is blue a better choice to assist with bolt vibrations?

Ocho - Keeo the updates coming because I am considering a Himalayan for my wife... or me. :rider:

I don't use red anymore, that stuff is fairly serious. I've had to heat bolts a while to get it to loosen in the past. I guess if you had something you were certain you never needed to come of, then red. I've typically used blue on everything I was concerned about loosening. I've used green loctite on some of the smaller stuff on bicycles.

I don't use red anymore, that stuff is fairly serious. I've had to heat bolts a while to get it to loosen in the past. I guess if you had something you were certain you never needed to come of, then red. I've typically used blue on everything I was concerned about loosening. I've used green loctite on some of the smaller stuff on bicycles.
What he said.ā˜ļø
There are applications for red, however it's pretty much one and done.

There are applications for red, however it's pretty much one and done.

Greatly appreciate the advice. I don't think I have had to break the red Locktite bond, but nice to know I am not crazy if I struggle with it. I will be picking up some blue...

Little update:

GF dropped the bike a week ago while almost at a stop. Had to happen, she handled it well, got it our of the way. Weā€™re trying the ā€œMotojitsuā€ program and going over the belts as practice for low speed maneuvers. I bought the book but you donā€™t really need it, the YouTube videos serve the bill. Motojitsu

We hadnā€™t done really any ā€œtouringā€, we mostly rode around the neighborhood and park. Sheā€™s been hit by allergies pretty bad this season so this week there wasnā€™t much practice. Sheā€™s been getting the itch of going somewhere, so today we finally rode to Oscars Store. Longest trip sheā€™s done so far.

Itā€™s delicious.

We took it pretty slow and the wind was a little annoying in the morning, but overall we had an awesome trip. She was pretty exhausted by the end though (expected). Maybe I went overboard with the route, it was a 2h ride each way.

She still needs to work out some things but she listened to my feedback and improvements were made. She said she had two scary moments, to me it was like 5 šŸ˜.

Good day!

I have found that for most people, it takes around 3-5K miles of regular riding before they really start to get the muscle memory down to the point where they aren't having to think so much about how to actually operate the bike so that they can then relax and start devoting more attention to everything else. Even then, it might be another 3-5K miles before they start to become proficient, and even that is based on a deliberate effort to learn specific skills. There are a LOT of riders out there that are no where near as good at riding as they think they are despite a large number of miles ridden without an incident. So encourage her to keep working at it and to understand that, like anything else, it takes time and effort to get better.

We took it pretty slow and the wind was a little annoying in the morning, but overall we had an awesome trip. She was pretty exhausted by the end though (expected). Maybe I went overboard with the route, it was a 2h ride each way.
That's really cool y'all did that together. First of many, I hope.

I remember doing my first TWT pie run a couple of weeks after getting my first bike. It was only 185 miles, but I had to come home and take a nap afterward. Going through the "traffic" in Gun Barrel City freaked me out. I just remember it being mentally exhausting. One "oh poop" (substitution for Scott) moment after another at that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
We installed some Barkbusters for the Himalayan today. Worked great for todayā€™s ride since she was able to use my Hippo Hands that no longer fit on my GSA. Sorry didnā€™t take a photo, but can take one if someone is interested. She kinda regrets getting the black covers, now the bike looks like a panda.

Sheā€˜s excited about going to Around the Bend. We ordered some engine guard bags to put some stuff in as well another piece by SRC Moto to protect one of the important tiny bits on the side of the bike.

Most importantly, though, we rode 20-30 miles today, and she told me she ā€œfinally gets itā€. First time she doesnā€™t feel sheā€™s very close to a panic situation. šŸ˜šŸ˜

She even wants to go on a group ride!

Last edited:
We installed some Barkbusters for the Himalayan today. Worked great for todayā€™s ride since she was able to use my Hippo Hands that no longer fit in my GSA. Sorry didnā€™t take a photo, but can take one if someone is interested. She kinda regrets getting the black covers, now the bike looks like a panda.

Sheā€˜s excited about going to Around the Bend. We ordered some engine guard bags to put some stuff in as well another piece by SRC Moto to protect one of the important tiny bits on the side of the bike.

Most importantly, though, we rode 20-30 miles today, and she told me she ā€œfinally gets itā€. First time she doesnā€™t feel sheā€™s very close to a panic situation. šŸ˜šŸ˜

She even wants to go on a group ride!
BB will be huge for her. Many miles of wonderful scenery and empty paved roads if you choose that are perfect for beginners to gain lots of experience

Some things must come to an end:

She didn't really take to it?

My buddy that I picked up the KLX250 for didn't get into it either. I think he will have it for sale soon, if not already.

She hasn't been riding much, and 3-5 hour trips on the bike don't interest her that much (coincidentally how long it takes to have a nice ride in the Hill Country). Plus, being new, she is still nervous about riding and crashing. It was too much for her.

I commend your gf for trying it. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but good on her for giving it a shot and seeing for herself.

My wife ended up doing the same. She rode for a little while, even commuted on surface streets some until we moved and the commute required highway. She didn't feel safe. Because of the inherent risks, I've tried to never pressure her. She knows it's fine with me if she doesn't ride.

...still nervous about riding and crashing. It was too much for her.

... There is no reason to get on a motorcycle unless you are 100% sure you want to ride....

Yup, a wise decision. We have a local friend that tried to "get into riding" but after 1Ā½ years he simply stopped after (more accurately, during) a Saturday ride, concluding It's no fun to ride scared. I have too learned there are some days I should not ride.

GLWS of the Himalayan. I sure do like 'em. :ponder:

My wife dabbles with the idea of riding but I really don't think her heart's in it. I'm tempted to by a super cheap dirt bike an let her try that and see if it either kindles the flame or snuffs it. I'm about 85% sure she'll abandon it almost immediately though.

Ocho, does your GF like riding with you on the bike as a passenger? Mine loves that so we can still share the sport even if she never rides herself.

Last edited:
Back