• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

So you want to make a YouTube channel about your motorcycling adventure...

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
This might be worth watching and understanding.

It is not just about creating quality content! I cannot help but wonder how the SEO stuff might also be gamed and affected by such actions :ponder: Is it just enough to have a good website, blog, etc...?

How do you get your content to rise above the noise?

Interesting stuff. I like his content but I don't watch him a lot. This does help to explain why all of a sudden something totally not in my interests shows up for me to watch.

Part two is worth watching. I think it is even better than part one.

A LOT of what they cover totally pertains to trying to maintain and operate a site like TWT, or any other social media platform. The exception being that TWT does not have a highly paid staff of expert programmers working for it... :-P

I saved the videos to watch when I have down time at work tonight. I have about 4 videos made and ready to upload, but I don't know if I want to take the plunge.

I know one of the motovloggers I have been following for the last few years has been struggling because his content doesn't exactly align with what Youtube/Google likes for their platform. Their algorithms turn monetization off, and he has to fight to get it turned back on. He has to rely on sponsorships due to Youtube being finicky.

YouTube must now be treated exclusively as a search engine, but a very finicky one that prefers to promote only certain types of content. I personally don't want to dedicate my efforts solely toward gaming the algorithms, especially at the cost of not being able to make the types of episodes I consider worthwhile and of personal value. Most of us will be niche content creators with small, dedicated audiences, and that's if we're lucky. If there were a viable alternative to YouTube, I'd likely switch.

I got an email from a long time friend where he mentioned that he recently left his office to go to a long meeting. He had been watching some kind of work related video (he's an architect) but forgot to close the browser window before leaving. Apparently, he leaves AutoPlay turned on! When he got back later that day, he was shocked to see what was playing!!

Some parents are finally cluing in to this issue. Just because you see your kids watching decent content on minute doesn't mean they won't find their way to some seriously nasty content in a short while using either the AutoPlay or just the suggested videos that YouTube puts up. Our kids are not allowed unrestricted access to YouTube (or the internet in general).

The real problem though is that quality content alone is not sufficient to garner your content the attention of the people that might actually be interested in it. It gets crowded out by the noise generated by those seeking to manipulate and/or get around the algorithms or even by those creating the algorithms. It doesn't do a content creator much good to promote their content on other social media sites if the content doesn't actually get promoted. This is part of the reason I decided to create the Blog/Vlog subforum here on TWT, to try to help get those users a bit more exposure to people that might actually be interested in what they are creating.

Back