• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike For Sale SOLD! 1989 Transalp Africa Twin conversion

tojo92

Reaction score
First Name
Staton
Last Name
Shed
Year

Make
Honda

Model
XLV600 TransAlp - Africa Twin Conversion

Mileage

Asking Price
SOLD 1.5.2021

Contact Info
tojo92 at msn dot com or PM

Current ODO is 42,975. The bike has been fantastic and has a long, colorful history as one of the early Transalp to AT conversions.

Here is info from one the previous two owners (first previous owner I am aware of when the bike had just over 38,000 miles on it).

For sale is one of the first Transalp-Africa Twin conversions in the US. Modifications to the '89 Transalp include:
XR600 forks;
AT swing arm, wheel, tank, and fairing; rear disc brake;
SRC fork brace;
Galfer braided front brake hose;
Givi skid plate;
HID spot and floodlight;
heated grips;
SRC outlet…
The conversion was (mostly) done by a GNCC pro, and is chronicled here (can also send a PDF of conversions, let me know):
https://transalp.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=52
The bike has 38,460 miles on it, and has been well-maintained. Recent service history:
Chain and sprockets (have about 1000 miles on them)
Bearings and seals on lower linkage
New Lithium Battery
New heated grips
Clutch
Clutch springs
Oil pump chain
Rear disk and pads
CDI ( it does have the upgraded CDI holder )
Includes a Happy Trails rack.
Generally this bike in a great condition, other than superficial scuffs and wear. E.g., small dents and scuffs in tank near engine guards and lobes, flaking of clear coat on top of tank, plastic cover on battery side was damaged and repaired, and the beginning of some cracking in seat (there is a sheepskin cover for seat, if desired).
This bike is a born-and-built adventurer... dirt or pavement, it will get you way out, far back, and perhaps even across a continent (or two). A great option if you're looking for the ADV experience without, e.g., the KTM or BMW price tag!

The most recent previous owner that I purchased the bike from noted (when the bike had 41,000 miles on it:

In addition to what you see in the ad when I bought it at about 38k a few years back I have added the following:
had the suspension completely refreshed; forks overhauled and added a custom Nitron rear shock ($800)
replaced damaged air diaphragm with Honda OEM
added Corbin seat (I also have the original)
it has had a recent tune and carb sync; fresh fluids
TKC80s with lots of mileage left
wireless tire pressure monitors
The bodywork is in good shape for the years. The current front fairing does have some damage around the windscreen (better pics on request).

I have put about 2,000 miles on it. I actually picked it up on Denver and then rode it across various passes. It was my first attempt and the bike was a ton of fun. I did add a new lithium battery while in Colorado.
Pics below.

It may not show up in the pics, but the paint and clear coat on the tank are showing their age. Looks great from a few feet away or with the tank bag on; it's not a pristine, museum bike, but it does what its supposed to do just fine.

Suspension is set up for a big boy front and rear as done by previous owner. I'm 270 lbs and had no issues on the trails or on tarmac.

Bike is on Cedar Park, TX. It could use a rear tire soon.

I do have a bin full of spares that the buyer can go through and decide what they would like and we will work out a very fair deal for the extras if wanted.
The spares include a Corbin seat, and a single exhaust conversion plus other misc. items.

Garmin is not included, nor are the yellow bags in some of the pics from Colorado trip.

Clear Texas Title in hand.

_nc_ohc=eVoPOiWcgjQAX-O5KVa&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=mIRVlI6dwtAAX8VnIjQ&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=oG54kU2k_AcAX-_VTdS&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=HEDxPaIJlBsAX_8gkql&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=WjzXRTZ-RJMAX9mSwze&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=3s3aFlJdR2sAX_DlJoZ&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=G6ucMNe7zCYAX92eVQ7&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=20jUBxWPrNsAX98xvGE&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=UcGj_wmgC6kAX85ZR8c&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=KS_deXJb8rcAX_x2oDN&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

SOLD

Last edited:
No doubt the best maintained Transalp on planet earth.

GLWS.

Last edited:
I’d definitely be all over this...if the stable was a bit thinner.... I. Can’t. Stop. Looking at this!!! Have to maintain control...GLWS!

Thank you.

I definitely consider myself a serial collector. I've owned well over a hundred bikes. I like to find the oddball bikes, learn all I can about them, fix them up, use them, and then move them on. I try to keep the garage limited to no more than four bikes at a time.

I took a few pictures of the spares that I have in the bin. It includes a Corbin seat for a trans alp, an RD04 Africa twin fairing in primer, a single exhaust pipe kit to replace the dual outlet currently on the bike, all balls steering bearing seal kit, control switches for left and right side that are in very good condition, two extra cables, spark plugs, oil filter, EBC front brake rotor, original foot pegs, a fairing repair kit with some proper paint for the bike. And electrical boxes. Ignition related.

Attachments

• IMG_20210103_130953591.jpg
    IMG_20210103_130953591.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_20210103_130943277.jpg
    IMG_20210103_130943277.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_20210103_131535289.jpg
    IMG_20210103_131535289.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_20210103_131621038.jpg
    IMG_20210103_131621038.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 16097017006018480740392797468616.jpg
    16097017006018480740392797468616.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 492
SOLD!

Sold to a fellow TWT member. Sometimes bikes find the best owners. Excited to see what will come of the bike!

Donation will be made to TWT, thank you for the ability to list bikes here.

Guess I'll ride by myself for a couple of days until you get something else.

I could kick myself for selling my wifes transalp we bought new in 1990. But at the end of the day it was still hard to stop with the standard diving front end and single disc, and a weak front suspension for someone of 195 pounds. Other than that, which could be rectified, it was a great fun bike and she put 30K on it or so if I remember correctly.

Back