• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike For Sale Sold - 2015 KTM 500EXC

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Sold! The new owner took possession of the bike this evening. Congrats Farhan!

P2110029_30_31_32_33-L.jpg

The time has come to sell my beloved 2015 KTM 500EXC. I am the 2nd owner of this bike, having bought it from the original owner in 2017 with only about 800 miles on the odometer. The odometer stands at 10,785 miles as I write this. In Nov 2020 I had TJ's Cycles in Austin inspect the engine and do a top end job on the bike (piston and rings).

The only issue I know of with the bike is the low fuel light is always on no matter how much fuel is in the tank. The indicator was on when I bought the bike and I believe it is a common issue for these displays. I never bothered to try and fix it since I use the tripometers to determine how much fuel range I have remaining.

The bike runs great and everything works fine, aside the low fuel indicator on the display. I would not hesitate to put my luggage on the bike and head out for a long adventure ride.

I upgraded the bike with the following modifications to serve as a lightweight adventure bike:
- Acerbis 5.3 gallon gas tank
- Fisher custom motorcycle seat
- Globetrottin' luggage rack system with pannier brackets
- Scott's steering stabilizer
- Cycra probend handguards
- Pro Moto Billet kickstand
- Aftermarket folding rearview mirrors
- Bajaworx Enduro windscreen

I am selling the bike because I just don't ride it very much anymore. I've moved away from harder dirt riding in the past 3 years so it's not seeing a lot of use. I have decided to replace the 500 with something better at long stretches of pavement.

Click here for a video I made yesterday of the bike in its ready to sell state.

Here are more pictures of the bike I've taken over the last 4 years. You can see the evolution of the bike from its original supermoto form to the lightweight adventure bike I turned it into.

I believe $6000 is a very fair price for the bike considering the upgrades and the recent top end. What I did not do is price the bike at $6500 in anticipation of interested buyers negotiating the price down to the $6000 price point. Asking $6000 means you and I can dispense with the negotiations and you get a good deal on the bike you want, I sell the bike for what it's worth, and we are both happy about it.

Due to the prevalence of scammers I am selling the bike for cash and will not ship it (though you can do a fly and ride if that suits you).

Richard
richgibbens1@gmail.com
512-203-6143

Last edited:
Couple quick questions...
1. Is this an FI model?
2. SM wheeles included?
3. Clear blue title in your name?
4. Interested in possible trade (2008 Aprilia SXV 550)?
5. What weight rider is suspension set up for?

Thanks,
Staton

Couple quick questions...
1. Is this an FI model?
2. SM wheeles included?
3. Clear blue title in your name?
4. Interested in possible trade (2008 Aprilia SXV 550)?
5. What weight rider is suspension set up for?

Thanks,
Staton
1. Yes. KTM put FI on these bikes in 2012.
2. No. I sold the SM wheels right after I bought the bike in 2017.
3. Yes, I have a clear title.
4. No, not interested in a trade of any kind.
5. I don't know. Now that I'm thinking more about it, I candidly don't remember what I had done to the suspension. I change bikes often and I failed to write down what I had done to the suspension on this one. I don't think it's modified but I could be wrong. Just to be safe, I deleted "suspension revalving" as one of the modification in the original post. What I do know is I weigh 210 lbs and this bike has the best suspension of any bike I've ever owned. It is very supple on pavement and I've never bottomed it off pavement.

Last edited:
These are great bikes especially for a 30's to early 40's guy who rides a lot of DS, mostly offroad. I've had friends with them in CO who loved them dearly after stepping down from the XR650R's we were all supposed to ride, because, that's what won BAJA. Turns out the KTMs were just as fast. They all reported a day and night difference in bodily wear and tear at day's end. Almost inevitably, their next step after a couple years was a KTM 300, to continue on single track, stay orange and have fun. GLWS these are really fine bikes!

When I sold my xr650r and bought my Ktm 500 I knew it would be a step up, suspension, power , brakes etc. What I didn't plan on was how comfortable it is just riding down the road . And I'm not a little guy. LOL.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Dang the timing of it all, had I not just added to the stable last month it would be a done deal. The exc is what the drz will be replaced with not if but when, I agree with Jarrett. Good luck, that tank is begging for a continental divide trip!

I knew this wouldn't last. Congrats on a speed sale.

So what are you riding in BB?

I picked up a 2020 KTM 690 Enduro last week from TJ’s. I’m bringing it and my Africa Twin to Big Bend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back