• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Solo NMBDR on a Big Bike

Reaction score
Howdy TWT's,

Heading east from Southern California around 9/9 to Texas. Will be riding through Arizona and New Mexico and love to get off pavement and explore the back country. Riding solo on a big bike sometimes puts you in a pickle so any intel on what sections of the AZBDR and NMBDR are to be avoided are appreciated. I'm an intermediate/advanced level rider so some technical stuff is no problem, deep sand at any skill level fully loaded on a big bike isn't typically a fun time, but more so anything that will avoid me having to push the SOS button on the inReach is better to find a go around.

Any riders out there on an adventure or wanting to go, open invitation, rides are best when shared.

Thanks in advance and look forward to meeting my fellow Texans on a ride soon.

Safe Riding,
Isaac

Isaac, you might want to avoid the section of the NMBDR around White Sands Missile Range. Deep sand in some very remote areas, plus, it's kind of boring. The section between Grants and Cuba is also remote and sandy, but it's really cool, so if you can hook up with someone else, it's worth pursuing.

Remember BMW's don't really fall all the way over, they have those really expensive tilt limiters sticking out the side of the engine :)

Just teasing. On a humble note, I dropped my 1090 on a wide open flat gravel road and was really happy to have a bunch of riders near by to laugh at me, take my picture and then to help lift it up. It was kind of a wake up call for me. I do a lot of my riding solo, just haven't had to pick up the 1090 before. I am sure I could do it so long as I wasn't hurt, but it might take a few attempts.

Remember BMW's don't really fall all the way over, they have those really expensive tilt limiters sticking out the side of the engine :)

Just teasing. On a humble note, I dropped my 1090 on a wide open flat gravel road and was really happy to have a bunch of riders near by to laugh at me, take my picture and then to help lift it up. It was kind of a wake up call for me. I do a lot of my riding solo, just haven't had to pick up the 1090 before. I am sure I could do it so long as I wasn't hurt, but it might take a few attempts.

So it goes, KubotaMike! Trust me, I've had it fall ALL the way over and then some on some inclines lol. Picking it up has typically not been a problem for me, but imagining a situation where I couldn't or if I broke the bike or myself out there solo is never appealing but so much less so than ever in this bizarre year we're having. I see you're in Austin, hit me up next month and let's take a ride.

Yeah, right! :lol2:

IMG_01541023.jpg

Wow, guess those aren't training wheels after all :) I stand corrected !!!

Some recent training at DART in Oklahoma provided several alternate methods for picking up. I keep a 6' long loop strap, that I can get under downside footpeg, then loop it over my shoulders so that when backwards walk the bike up lifting, there's a bit of a moment arm pulling on the peg and against the seat. Helps very much in solo pick ups (which I have to do more than I'd like to admit). Hope this might be of some limited help. Best Regards

Wow, guess those aren't training wheels after all :) I stand corrected !!!

What years is that bike? is that the stock skid plate? I'm making an adapter to fit one of those on my R1200RT in case any rocks want to take out the low hanging scrotal sack of an oil filter.

If riding solo, I would strongly recommend carrying a block and tackle, the slightest tumble can cause real issues for getting the bike back on a trail, or even just upright, a block and tackle lets you move heavy objects (the bike) single handedly!!

Gary

Some recent training at DART in Oklahoma provided several alternate methods for picking up. I keep a 6' long loop strap, that I can get under downside footpeg, then loop it over my shoulders so that when backwards walk the bike up lifting, there's a bit of a moment arm pulling on the peg and against the seat. Helps very much in solo pick ups (which I have to do more than I'd like to admit). Hope this might be of some limited help. Best Regards

I have heard about these types of techniques, but haven't seen them before. Any links to YouTube or video of you doing it?

You might check with Bill Dragoo of Dragoo Adventure Riding Training. I don't recall a video, though we did plenty of it during the training. Best Regards

Sounds like a Blast. The deep sand is never fun for me no matter what bike, but the 1290 was interesting. If you're an INT/ADV rider you won't have any issues. The best part of the NMBDR was Colorado.

Back