• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

[SOLVED] Need some help - KLR broken in Alamagordo

JoToPe

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Emerson
Broke down KLR 650 in Alamogordo.
Need help in a big way. Me, my son and a friend have been riding the NMBDR and got into a sketchy section with about 5-6 stairs steps in a row and one of them took out the water pump housing, impeller and three bolts that attach it to the case. If anyone is close to Alamagordo, NM and has parts for a Gen II KLR 650, please reply or pm me. Local Kawi dealer is closed Monday and I'm staying at the White Sands motel with my son. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ec03387186ed71549129dfee977c8fa3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Need some help - KLR broken in Alamagordo

Shoot a PM to user ToeJam. He lives off the Sunspot Highway South of Cloudcroft and may know someone in the area that can help. He's a KTM guys, so not likely to have any KLR stuff laying around.

Unfortunately I'm in TX today, but I can't think of anyone in the area with a KLR anyway. You may be out of luck for a few days unless you can get someone to overnight the parts. I would be pleasantly surprised if Dave had what you need in stock.

I would be willing to pull mine and overnight ship, but I've missed the window for today. If you don't have another solution email me @ mbrew@flash.net and I will pull and ship tomorrow. If you need it, send me a contact phone too. Mine phone is broke right now, but I can call back with my wife's. I check email often.

Update:Been on the road from Alamagordo to Las Cruces this afternoon. We did find parts at Dona Ana Cycle Salvage and Gary had the housing, impeller and bolts. It was +2-hours round trip. OReillys has the rest. I can't thank everyone enough for reaching out.

Good news!

Woo Hoo - Looking forward to the ride report.

Broke down KLR 650 in Alamogordo. I'm staying at the White Sands motel

ec03387186ed71549129dfee977c8fa3.jpg

25 internets for posting a pic of that bike disassembled in the room.

This is what TWTEX is all about. Good stuff here.

2nd update: got everything put back together but now there's a small leak from the relief drain hole, which might be the inner seal. We'll check it in the morning to see how much leaked out. Hopefully I can local source the seals and get rolling again.

Southwestern Kawasaki had the seals. Bike is fixed. We're having lunch at Subway in Alamogordo, then going to White Sands Monument museum before heading to Cloudcroft for a couple more days of riding, then headed home on Friday.

Back in Cloudcroft!
dc94e8716031224ea02c134a4fa9daac.jpg

Oh man! Im glad you got this squared away. That route sounds gnarly.

This will give you plenty of memories/stories to think about later on!! This is the joy of trips like this, getting beaten and then snatching success from the jaws of defeat and having a great holiday.. Congratulations on not giving up and completing the holiday..

Gary

Glad this was resolved... but

Scott, I didn't get any emails that this was going on. I checked and it is on my "subscribed" but I never saw it. Did the other guys here get an email when this was posted?

did you check your spam folder?

No but would it be different than the normal notices like I just received now that I posted to the thread?

I'd never thought about subscribing to a forum, but this is a good one to do that for so I just did. The default setting was send no email. I changed that in the drop down box to email immediately, so we'll see how that works

I just unsubbed and then subbed again and added the immediate email. We will see.

Back