• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Some Durango Single Track on the 790.

Great videos, looks like fun, don't think I would do that on the 1090, glad the 790 is more manageable !

We just returned from Durango / Purgatory, what trail was this? Years ago I road my mountain bike from Purgatory back to Hermosa Creek Trail down to Hermosa. Great single track and couldn't believe the guys on KTM's riding that trail, how cool is it that CO lets us all share the trails :)

Saw your Trail Tech GPS, love mine on the 1090 and the 501. Be careful and don't install the latest software, it has an annoying bug, they are supposed to have an update soon... I installed the update and went to the NMBDR only to discover that when I touched the display to clean it, it switched to North up every time. What a PIA, I prefer track up.

Great video! You said “these tires suck” which tires are you using?
Stock Karoo's. My buddy put TKC 80's on and had a Much easier time in the rocky passes. I had 3 flat tires on the front in 5 days on the stock tire. I would say the stock tires are more like a 50/50 tire rather than 70/30. We did Engineer pass Sunday and it was Amazing how much easier it was for my buddy to go up the rocky climb outside of Telluride with the TKC's than me on the Karoo. We switched bikes and the TKC's were an Incredible advantage Especially in the rocks. I went to a 15 both on the front sprocket and it was night and day better. I've stuck with the TKC's on the 1290 and will continue. They don't last long but they Work.

I know a lot of people are using the Motor Tractionators on their 790s. I'm going to replace my Anakee Wilds with Anakee Adventures more than likely since I pound quote a bit of highway to get off highway.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I'm using the MotoZ Tractionator Adventure on the front and the Tractionator GPS on the rear.

So far I like the setup quite a bit.

Btw...maybe I'm missing something but on my 790R, I can put the bike in Rally mode, set the ABS to off road and map the throttle to whatever I want (I use street mostly as Rally is too twitchy and off road is too sluggish).

Anyway....it will stay in that mode even if I turn it off. Traction control is adjustable with the up down buttons while you ride. I typically kick it up on hard packed gravel and turn it down to 1 when on tight trails, sand or mud.

I mention because you seem to have had to reset it at every stop.

Let me know if you want more information. I can take some screen shots of how its set up for you if helpful. I guess it's also possible I have different firmware or something but it's definitely possible.

Btw....great videos. I'd like to ride that one sometime. Just got back from the Creede area and did Cinnamon, Engineer, Stony and some others on my 500EXC. I'd like to try those on my 790R someday as well.

I am a +1 on the MotoZ Tractionator Adventure on the front and so far really liking the matching MotoZ Tractionator Adventure on the rear. Did a few thing in CO and it was a nice matching pair.

As to the computer settings, my 1090 loses the settings if you just shut it off even with the kill switch. KTM sells something called the bad fueling dongle that will keep your settings even when you turn off the ignition. It is a life saver, is there anything like that for the 790?

I obviously have a lot to learn about the modes and ABS/MTC settings. This was my 1st ride on the bike and I wish I had your suggestions before I left. Offroad mode isn't as responsive as you said. Might be time to read the instruction booklet. I'd love to go back and take both 500 and 790. I have a nice toy hauler and can travel!

I am a +1 on the MotoZ Tractionator Adventure on the front and so far really liking the matching MotoZ Tractionator Adventure on the rear. Did a few thing in CO and it was a nice matching pair.

As to the computer settings, my 1090 loses the settings if you just shut it off even with the kill switch. KTM sells something called the bad fueling dongle that will keep your settings even when you turn off the ignition. It is a life saver, is there anything like that for the 790?

Ive got the dongle on my 1290 but so far no one has come up with an answer for the 790. I bet in time someone will.

I obviously have a lot to learn about the modes and ABS/MTC settings. This was my 1st ride on the bike and I wish I had your suggestions before I left. Offroad mode isn't as responsive as you said. Might be time to read the instruction booklet. I'd love to go back and take both 500 and 790. I have a nice toy hauler and can travel!
I pretty much leave mine in Rally with the throttle mapped to street. I only change the ABS mode from street to off road as I go between and you can do it while riding. (You can do all if it while riding...although probably not a good idea on singletrack:) ) TCS is always available on the home screen at the bottom and you can increase or decrease it with the toggles.

Only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to make the home screen show different data than the default. For example, I'd prefer trip mileage and fuel consumption data over total miles and voltage but I don't know how to change it. (I'm told it's possible though....guess I need to read the manual as well.)

Side note...MCT/TCS as a system stays on in this approach, but by turning the "slip" intervention down to 1, I believe it essentially turns it off. You can wheelie over stuff and spin the rear tire at will.

Last edited:
I pretty much leave mine in Rally with the throttle mapped to street. I only change the ABS mode from street to off road as I go between and you can do it while riding. (You can do all if it while riding...although probably not a good idea on singletrack:) ) TCS is always available on the home screen at the bottom and you can increase or decrease it with the toggles.

Only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to make the home screen show different data than the default. For example, I'd prefer trip mileage and fuel consumption data over total miles and voltage but I don't know how to change it. (I'm told it's possible though....guess I need to read the manual as well.)

Side note...MCT/TCS as a system stays on in this approach, but by turning the "slip" intervention down to 1, I believe it essentially turns it off. You can wheelie over stuff and spin the rear tire at will.
Boy did I miss the boat or what. That sounds really nice compared to the settings I had.

Boy did I miss the boat or what. That sounds really nice compared to the settings I had.
Lol. @Jarrett helped me out when I first got it as I didn't realize I could be in Rally and still control other settings.

Here's a pic of what it looks like before I even start it. It will retain whatever you set it to between starts. I ended my last ride with a section of highway home so I had moved the ABS back to street (btw....sorry for the blurry picture, I haven't cleaned the screen since Saturdays ride in the dust)
5a6873e8a8097c936eae4f74dc0aa94c.jpg

Ps...sounds like we should ride together sometime. Seem to have similar bikes, interests and pace (at least as far as I can tell from the video)

Last edited:
Where are these trails located in Durango. I need to take the KLR'ER next time we go see my folks in Farmington.
I looked at my GPS tracks and its actually in Mancos just east of Durango. Some great trails up there. I wish I could have ridden more but my buddy didn't like the single track.

Thanks. I'll definitely go up their next year with the bike.

Back