• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Some of the NMBDR 28 Jun - 03 July

Reaction score
My work schedule recently changed due to Covid 19, I have the week of 28 June to 5 July off and am thinking of hitting part of the NMBDR. My schedule looks something like this:

Sunday 28 June drive to Alamogordo, hotel for two nights.

Monday 29 June ride a track from Alamogordo to either Del City TX or Pinion NM, ride the NMBDR section 1 to Cloudcroft then back to the hotel in Alamogordo.

Tuesday 30 June ride from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft, get back on the NMBDR head north to Ruidoso, then Carrizozo, ride 380 until it intersects with the NMBDR at Road 179 then ride the route back to Carrizozo. Ride to Alamogordo, load up and drive to a hotel in Truth or Consequences for the night.

Wednesday 01 July ride section 3 from T/C to Reserve, stay at a hotel in Reserve

Thursday 02 July ride section 4 from Reserve to Fence lake, then ride a track back to T/C stay at a hotel.

Friday 03 July drive back to Ft Worth.

For those of you who have ridden the NMBDR, am I missing much by skipping the route between Socorro and T/C? I realize that there is a strong chance that I will run into monsoon rains during this time of year, and yeah heat is definitely a factor.

TIA,

Ed M

Sorry for being direct, but you would be nuttier than an outhouse in a peanut factory to start in Dell City in late June. I would not even start in Pinion. Spend the first day riding at 10K feet around Cloudcroft in 70 degree temperatures. You do not mention the bike you are riding but there are several different routes up the mountain on dirt roads starting in Alamo. You can head toward Tularosa then go up to La Luz, or you can take Karr Canyon Rd out of High Rolls, or you can take Bailey Canyon up to Cloudcroft. All with nice dirt road sections, some easy some harder.

The area around Cloudcroft is excellent for dual sporting and the temperatures make it even better. I will most likely be there that weekend, but will not be there that Monday.

We just finished Trail Boss' trip. Started in Ruidoso and went all the way to Abiquiu before leaving the NMBDR, turning back south toward Ruidoso. In my opinion, the NMBDR is not real interesting until AFTER T & C. I would figure out how to start there and make it all the way to the Colorado Border. I was hot from Ruidoso to T&C, and cold from Reserve to Grants. We never went south to Cloudcroft.

Just an idea. Haul to Albuquerque, spend night. Ride south to San Antonio and catch the BDR there. Ride the BDR north ending in Antonito Colorado. Then ride South back to Albuquerque, load and haul back. Total of about 1200 miles.

I am also riding the NMBDR this year. I'm going to start from Dell City the first week of September.

I plan to ride the NMBDR North and then the Shadow of the Rockies back South. Looking at taking two weeks for the entire thing.

What are you riding?

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, I currently ride a 2018 KTM 500, and was thinking New Mexico due to it's close proximity. With my new work schedule I'm working six days a week for two weeks then off every third week for who knows how long.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make the ride Trailboss recently did, things happen.
Looks like the best plan is to skip everything from Del City to T/C, and believe me it's a very fluid plan, I will just haul to T/C and work my way north from there.

We just finished Trail Boss' trip. Started in Ruidoso and went all the way to Abiquiu before leaving the NMBDR, turning back south toward Ruidoso. In my opinion, the NMBDR is not real interesting until AFTER T & C. I would figure out how to start there and make it all the way to the Colorado Border. I was hot from Ruidoso to T&C, and cold from Reserve to Grants. We never went south to Cloudcroft.

I am following your other post as well. Did you guys camp the entire time or hotel every night?

... Did you guys camp the entire time or hotel every night?
We camped 2 nights. T or C below the dam, and Reserve - Hidden Springs Resort. Both in 40 mph winds. After that, we cratered and did the Motel 6 thing. As of June 13, most of the established campsites we passed were closed. We did see a bunch of dispersed campsites along the way that looked awesome. Although, one of the groups got chased out of one of those. Maybe by September more things will open up.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, I currently ride a 2018 KTM 500, and was thinking New Mexico due to it's close proximity.
Riding a KTM 500 on this Route as it is called is taking a gun to a knife fight, which is fine, not judging. That is a lot of performance for a bunch of mostly easy dirt roads (if dry). That bike would be good on every motorcycle trail in Cloudcroft. You would have a ball on that thing on the real motorcycle trails around CC.

I rode my FE501 and never regretted it for a minute. Big bikes did just fine around me, but they struggled in the sand, and were nervous in the rocks. Some of the long stretches of pavement were a little obnoxious, but such is Dual Sport riding.

Back